Poll; which sights for my SP101?

This is a discussion on Poll; which sights for my SP101? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gemini customs sells "Small Wonder" sights for SP101's. I have a 3" version in .357 that I'll be sending in soon for their package deal ...

View Poll Results: Which sight would you pick for an SP101 3", .357 Ruger

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Red fiber optic

10 24.39%
  • Green fiber optic

11 26.83%
  • Gold Bead (14k)

1 2.44%
  • Night Sight

19 46.34%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll; which sights for my SP101?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Gemini customs sells "Small Wonder" sights for SP101's. I have a 3" version in .357 that I'll be sending in soon for their package deal and can't decide which small wonder sight I want. Even though it's not on their web site, they can also put on a tritium night sight. Seems to be lot of pro's and cons so which would you pick and what would your reasons be? For awhile I'll like the idea of a night sight but they run out eventually and I'd like this gun to belong to a grandchild someday. Then I think the fiber optics would be great to see. But the Gold Bead would last forever, have that classic look and is probably easy to see too. If you have one of these I'd like your thoughts too!

Here's the web site where you can see the sights I'm talking about:

http://www.geminicustoms.com/Small%20Wonder.htm

Thanks and God Bless
    Gideon

I love spending other peoples money

The Gold bead on my 625 Jm is the bomb and would like to have more like it

though the fiber optic one on my 357pd is very nice to its a toss up

Since this is a good size for a carry gun i will vote fiber optic while not the best in low light its better than a gold bead and will pick up some light from everything

And i chose red from my EXP on a Mark II 22 red is good for bright light but green rules in low light

VIP Member
    I like the gold bead I have on the 1911, but all of my wheelies wear green fiber optics and I love them enough to consider doing it to the Glocks as well.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I have a fiber optic on my 30-30...but night sights on my 9mm and .45 pistols...I find that the night sights are easy to see white dots during the day, but really help the 'old eyes' as the light starts to dim...excellent at night..

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'll throw a monkey wrench in yer clock werks ! How 'bout crimson trace laser grips ?
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I voted night sights.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

I like red fiber optics my self.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I've got a 3" SP101 and have the same issue. I like contrasting color green-red Fiber Optic sights on my "fun guns" (mostly daytime match & range use) that shine BRIGHTLY if the sun is out. Very quick, very precise.

But the SP101 is MUCH more likely to be needed in the shadows or near-complete darkness at SHORT range. I voted for night sights & personally will likely chose the XS 24/7 Big Dot. In a hurry, light or dark, it's a hard sight NOT to see! Repeat after me...front sight, front sight, front sight, front sight...
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

And yeah Artz, as soon as the C/T laser with the Rubber Wrap- Around (soft) grips are available for the SP101...I've have 'em!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Wow, a dead heat between green fiber optics and the night sight! I thought more people would like the gold bead.

My inital thoughts were to set this gun up so that nothing could break or wear out; the idea being that this gun could last generations being a Ruger. The fiber optic can possibly break and night sights will eventually wear out but maybe I'm just being silly.

Keep voting and letting me know your rationale. I will carry this sometimes but it'll probably see more "field" time than CC time.

Thanks for all the input thus far!
    Gideon

PS regarding the Crimson trace; I've held a gun with those and think they're neat but I don't like the grip itself that much and it adds a battery to the mix. For a field gun it would become illegal to shoot any game with it in Missouri so I have to pretty much not go there. If this was ONLY CC, then the laser would be more of an option but it was a good thought!

I like them just the way they are. I point shoot anyway in close quarters. Steve48

Quote Originally Posted by Steve48 View Post
    I like them just the way they are. I point shoot anyway in close quarters. Steve48
    +1 Guess it depends on whether or not your sights are properly regulated. The Ruger SP sight is broad, robust and picks up well. I had to send my SP back to Ruger to have the barrel "squared" with the frame. When that was done, the sights were regulated beautifully. It's an option worth considering.

Just to throw a kink in yoiur choices, have you considered Tru-Glo TFO nightsights? I'll be putting a set on my G19 ASAP and might try them on the Mil-Spec too. Basically it's fiber optic front and rear AND nightsights all in one - hard to beat that combo if available for the SP.
    Jack

I have a Trijicon on my SP, I'd like to try a gold dot too. The tritium vial in the Trijicon in is pretty small but fairly easy to pick up in the dark.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Night sights are nice, I have them on my Kimber and P7,,,but Marc sold me on these and glad he did....yes, night sights are better for bad lighting....but I'd rather enjoy these at the range and rely on point shooting for serious encounters...doubt any of us will be seeng our sights then anyway...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links