Opinions on Kel-Tec

This is a discussion on Opinions on Kel-Tec within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am leaning toward a Kel-Tec P3AT based mostly on concealability and price. But I struggle with all the negative stuff I hear about KT. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Kel-Tec

Opinions on Kel-Tec

I am leaning toward a Kel-Tec P3AT based mostly on concealability and price. But I struggle with all the negative stuff I hear about KT. I would love to hear other's thoughts on KT from an objective point of view.

2. Remove Ads

lilducky08,
    I love mine. Mine is a gen 2with park'd slide and grey frame. Did lotsa research on it, and like you, I found good and bad. Then, I looked at other 'brandx specific' forums and found that those had a bout an equal percentage with problems.
    Got mine cause I was down for awhile after my back surgery. Back surgery also got me reconsidering some things I once had as absolutes in my mind. Never gave any thought to a mouse gun/pocket gun, cause I'd always toted a 1911 all steel 5" gun. Couldnt do that after l4/l5 disc herniated and extruded. But, I could drop my p3at in a Desantis Nemisis holster and go for my rehab and walks. I can now carry a g19 owb, but I still have my p3at in my pocket. Wears great in cargo/carpenter style shorts or pants. When my wife has me attend a dressy function with her, I can still wear my fitted dress shirts and pants, and I am still armed (albeit with what I consider the bottom cal for pd). Beats a sharp stick, so they say.

Any how, after purchasing mine, I disassembled, and lubed contact points. Ran 200 rounds of 90gr Fed Hishoks thru it. 100 strong hand, 100 weak. 200 rounds went thru this gun perfectly. Pulled a Bore-snake thru the barrell every 50 rounds. Cleaned it, loaded it, and dropped it in my pocket and its ridden there ever since.
    So, to recap. I love it. Goes in my pocket the minute I roll out of bed. It is NOT my first choice in defense fire/arm, caliber. It IS there at times when other guns cannot or are not. If you get one, test it, then carry it. Practice with it enough to be proficient, and then have it with you always.

Dan
    Last edited by jdsumner; March 8th, 2007 at 08:31 AM.

I saw all the problems but I still made the plunge and haven't had any of those problems yet. I think it comes down to the fact that no mfg's product lines produce 100% perfect products and when the P-3AT's have problems they aren't small ones.

I love mine and it's in a pocket holster with me every day as a BUG.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

lilducky08, I would like to suggest that you do a search here for this gun. It has been discussed quite a bit and you should be able to find some good info. I would also suggest that you visit these forums also, http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=104 , as there is a lot of good info there.
    I have had my P3 for several months now. I really like the gun. It will go anywhere and just disappear. I have about 200 rounds through mine and I have not had any problems at all. I originally picked it up so that I could have a gun that was easy to carry when on my motorcycle. I have two holsters for it. A pocket holster from PaleHorseHolsters. It is the K-rat found on this page( http://www.palehorseholsters.com/pocket.htm ). It is a good holster.
    I also have a gem of a holster from K&D Holsters (http://kdholsters.com/ ). I cannot say enough good things about this holster AND the company in general!! It is a great holster! It can be found on this page ( http://kdholsters.com/basefile/custom.html ), although my holster looks so much better than the one on the page. It is the Custom IWB Defender.

Hope that helps you a bit .

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Did the three of you put a laser on your P3AT? I have a buddy who did and swears by it, but I don't want to pay the extra if it becomes bothersome. I have heard that with the pocket guns that a laser helps because it is tough to site in with the small sites.

Mine does not have a laser. IMHO a laser on this gun is just kind of a novelty item. This is a belly, up close and personal, kind of gun. I doubt there are many holsters that would include the room for a laser, but I could be wrong. I know some people use the laser and must like them or they would not be selling them.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

I would like to echo the thoughts of lilducky08. I too have thought long and hard on the P3at, both for size and cost reasons.

I took the plunge and bought a blue gen2, shot about 50 rounds without a hitch, did a fluff & buff, had the slide, barrel, and various other internals duracoated, and ran another 110 rounds through it - no problems.

My round count has stayed at 160 as I have not had the opportunity to visit the range recently.

Unfortunately, as I continue my research, I also continue to hear of problems happening after break in, but long before any kind of high round count has been reached. While I occasionally hear of those with 1000 or more trouble-free rounds through theirs, more often I hear of those in the low hundreds now experiencing broken springs, creeping trigger pins, cracked frames, and enlarged recoil guide rod holes.

I confess my confidence has been shaken. Any gun can break, but I fear that the problems being experienced by P3at owners is the norm, not the exception.

Nothing compares to the size of the P3at, but if there is a significant chance it may go belly up in a crises, it ceases to be an alternative to the sharp stick.

I had also looked into Kahrs PM9. It too has reported problems, but these seem to be teething problems...once fixed they stay fixed. Not sure if the same can be said of the P3at.

I hope I am wrong, but I wonder, and worry.

moonshot

I didn't even think about it not fitting in a holster...good point there.

I love mine - accurate, plenty of power is such a small package, reliable. I carry it on the belt clip, super concealable!! I can't find anything that works as well for me in warm weather.

If it ever breaks, I'll buy another to use while the first is in getting fixed for free under the life-time warrenty.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I had a KelTec 9mm a while back. Great shootin little gun. Never had any problems with it.
    Several of my LEO friends have a KelTec of one caliber or another for their BkUp.
    For God, Family and Country!

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    I've got one with 200 rounds through it without any problems. I'll keep shooting a mag through it each time I go to the range. I'll post here when/if it ever fails me. It's my always gun when I'm out of state.

Pat
    I own one. I would say carry it often, shoot it rarely.

As a guy who relies (like LEOs) on his equipment for his job, I would buy a KelTec. I was going to get a 9mm, but I ran across a FIRESTAR 9mm in Starvel finish and couldn't pass it up.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg113-e.htm
    Bail bond recovery agent... no, not like that "dog" fella.

I have two (P11 and P32) and have shot three different ones (P3AT). I use my two Kel-tecs for carry guns.

Here are some pics.

MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I own two P3ATs. Both have been reliable and pretty accurate out to 15 yards. They can't be beat for ease of concealment and the price isn't bad either.

They ain't pretty range guns (or target pistols) but they are the best true "pocket carry" guns available to date.

If you get a 2nd generation P3AT you will have no troubles with it. Maybe some slight issues during breakin (100-200 rounds). You'll avoid these issues if you choose the right practice and carry ammo. There is also two very helpful user's forums for Kel-Tec guns with very knowledgeble and helpful people active. Lastly, if by remote chance you have a true problem Kel-Tec will make it right quickly.
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links