Best CCW gun with a safety?

This is a discussion on Best CCW gun with a safety? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to handguns and looking for a gun that has a manual saftey that would function like my shotguns. Any suggestions on what ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best CCW gun with a safety?

I am new to handguns and looking for a gun that has a manual saftey that would function like my shotguns. Any suggestions on what will be small, safe, concealable?

For me, one choice only. 1911. It has two, undefeatable safeties.
    If you have to have small, Id go for a commander, or possibly an officer size like the Les Baer Stinger, or Nighthawk Custom Talon IV.

If youre on a budget, perhaps a Kimber Ultra CDP II. I've only shot one Para-Ordnance Warthawg, but it was darn nice also.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

I'll second the Warthog (or any 1911 for that matter).

Also for a small weapon there is the CZ RAMI, one thumb saftey.
    http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=48
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Kimber Ultra Raptor or a Para-Ordnance COO come to mind. One of those are usually my constant companion.

just remember the most important safety is the one between your ears

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    EWWWW Hummm I would be hard pressed to give you any recommendations. I don't like manual safeties due to the fine motor skill issue. I would recommend a 1911 since its more easy to get the safety disengaged because its a down instead of up. And your thumbs rest ontop when your shooting giving you an easy push down to disengage. However, I wouldn't recomend a 1911 for a new shooter, heavier springs etc..... I'm not a big fan of a slide safety on any gun due to the increased fine motor skills being required to flick up vs. down.

I look at it this way if I pull a gun out i'm probably going to pull the trigger. I'm not a cop and have no legal responsibility to enforce the law. I would only use a gun for defense purposes and try to walk away from anything trying to be escalated that being said I don't use a safety on any carry gun due to those issues.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail Commander. affordable, concealable, proven 1911 platform, highly recommended.

Can you tell its my next purchase.

MikeV

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Hmmm, I might get lit up for this, but I'm not sure a 1911 SA is a good gun for a beginner.

I highly recommend you research a good self-defense shooting class & take your new gun to it after you've broken it in.

The Taurus's also have a frame mounted safety that flicks down to fire. Once you're comfortable with the gun, you might even choose not to use it.

If you're willing to do some training, there's nothing wrong with a 1911 type gun. & there are alot of them out there. For the price, it seems the most bang for the buck AND high quality, you can't go wrong with either the Kimber or Springfield. As to size, that's up to you. I believe reliable 1911's are available from the original 5" barrel size, down to the ultra compact 3". Although, you'll probably hear quite a bit about 3" 1911's not being as reliable as their 3 1/2+" brothers.

A nice revolver would make a good first gun too. Later, when & if you decide to get an auto, it can serve as a BUG.

Good luck.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

cj
    Quote Originally Posted by lilducky08 View Post
    looking for a gun that has a manual saftey that would function like my shotguns.
    Not being an avid shotgun shooter, what type of safety does yours have? When you say you'd like one that "functions like my shotgun", does that mean you want a similar action to engage/disengage it?

think he's looking for a safety where semi auto's have their magazine release.....

With my shotguns, there is a button to be pushed in to take it off safe, and back out to put in on "safe". I was hoping for a handgun that had a similar feature to that, so that an accidental hang up on some clothing could not fire the weapon because a thumb switch was not flicked up or down...I just don't know handguns well, so I thought I would toss it out there.

cj
    Ok, gotcha. Unfortunately, the only 'handgun' I've seen with this feature was a bb/pellet pistol. As briansmech mentioned, the typical placement of a magazine release on most pistols would prevent a safety of this type to be added.

It's good to consider this problem...I recall one experience of a seasoned shooter who had one of those elastic cords that can be used to tighten cuffs and such get caught in the trigger guard while holstering his pistol. He had a brief moment of, "Hmm, it's going in a little rough..." before BOOM.

The typical, most accepted methods I've seen (and I'm sure others will correct me) are grip safeties (require depressing a safety on the backstrap, such as by holding it in a firing grip), thumb safeties (placed nicely for activation/deactivation with the thumb), and longer, heavier double action pulls for the first shot.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lilducky08 View Post
    I am new to handguns and looking for a gun that has a manual saftey that would function like my shotguns. Any suggestions on what will be small, safe, concealable?
    I would like posters to IM me as well as post here the handguns with shotgun like safeties {I do not want to miss the answer, in case I get tied up];
    everyone I've seen may have a positive safety; but, works different
    I never seen one with a button in front of or behind of the trigger.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Not exactly a safety but S&W's CS45 has a decocker that could be kept in decock untill need to shoot I guess. Otherwise it's kinda like a revolver on first shot. Small and good CC - for me anyways.
    For God, Family and Country!

ruger P- series, too

Push Button Safety

The only ones I've seen with a push button safety like you describe are not really suitable for CCW. One is the VP-70 by H&K. Huge, rare, and ugly, but it has the same safety you describe. The other is the old style Berettas and the Helwan copies. I've seen several, and commonly they can fire when the safety is taken off. Go with a more user friendly design, (yes, I almost said more modern, until I realized it is called a 1911 for a reason Beretta 1951, VP circa 1975) And get some training. It's not a big deal. Millions of people carry revolvers, Glocks, Sigs, and other guns that are controlled only by passive safeties and the trigger. After you train a bit it will be no big deal to you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links