Got my hands on a Glock 21 SF today

This is a discussion on Got my hands on a Glock 21 SF today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of these came through the gunshop I work at today and I figured I'd tell you guys my thoughts on it. First the differences ...

Thread: Got my hands on a Glock 21 SF today

Got my hands on a Glock 21 SF today

One of these came through the gunshop I work at today and I figured I'd tell you guys my thoughts on it. First the differences between it and the normal Glock 21:
    1. Glock 21 SF has ambi mag release (nice)
    2. Glock 21 SF has new rail format (don't see why its necessary, but ok)
    3. Slimmer frame

The first two are OK features, but my main problem was with the third. I'm not sure what dictionary the good people at Glock were using when they looked up the definition of slim or small (or whatever the "S" in "SF" stands for), but they obviously have no concept of what it means to re-design a handgun. It is just as big and clunky as the 21. Now, I'm a Glock man, so don't confuse this post with one written by someone who hates Glocks, but don't slap an "SF" on a gun and two new features and call in great. My boss told me that the rep at SHOT show was so very excited about their new glock, but people, come on!!! If you get a chance to pick one up you'll probably say the same thing, that there is no noticeable difference in size. I was very excited to see how great a job Glock did on this one, but I was sorely disappointed.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

2. Remove Ads

whw
    Glockinitup,
    I couldn't agree more. Much ado about nothing.

whw

The SF stands for "short frame". Here's a great photo by Ken Lunde that shows the G21 and G21SF side by side. You can see that the *only* difference between them is the shorter butt area, hence the SF. The grip width and everything else is exactly the same. So really... there is a difference, but it's small. Hope this helps.

Chris

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    UMMMM Which ones which? JK I see the ambi mag release.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

A Glock 21 SF showed up here yesterday and I disagree that there is no difference. The feel of the Glock 21 SF in the hand is definitely different. Grab an old G-21, then grab the G-21 SF and most folks will notice the difference easily.

Hey, if you're not a "Glocky" you don't care anyway, so don't try the above experiment

For those of us who carry and shoot Glocks, this new model gives us another good choice for a defensive pistol. It feels close enough in size that there will be almost transition pain from the "standard" frame to the G-21 SF frame.

Another feature that I appreciate is the ambidextrous magazine release. If you were injured and one arm is out of service, dumping your magazine and doing the reload will be that much easier.

I assume they take the same mags, right? The difference seems to be a slight decrease in the height of the rear tunnel area behind the mag well. I agree it doesn't look like much but 1/8" in a grip can make a huge difference.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    I assume they take the same mags, right?
    Nope, they need a new magazine, it's still a 13 round magazine but has a latching notch on the front of it.

The new magazines work just fine in any old model (original) G-21.

The old model G-21 magazines do NOT work in the G-21 SF, they don't latch up properly because there's no latching notch in the front of the magazine.

I got to check out the new Glock 21 SF last weekend at a gun show. I own a Model 21 and have shot thousands of rounds through but was astounded when I wrapped my hand around it ... no change in the perceived grip! My Springfield XD .45 is vastly superior for anyone needing a small gripped, reliable .45 . I have had my Glock for 6 years, but the Springfield is rapidly becoming my favorite. Glock had a chance to blow Springfield out of the .45 market but chose not to with this sorry attempt to produce a more ergonomic grip. Better luck next time, Glock!

Administrator
    I'm sorry to hear that, I was looking forward to the gun coming out. The G21 is the weak link in Glocks lineup, only due to its grip size. Thats a shame, because the G21 is a great gun otherwise.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I agree, it's too bad Glock didn't maybe listen to some input from Glock owners. It would of been nice if it really was slimmer & maybe a different grip angle. Those two things are the biggest complaint of the Glock, I think.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that, I was looking forward to the gun coming out. The G21 is the weak link in Glocks lineup, only due to its grip size. Thats a shame, because the G21 is a great gun otherwise.
    I'm with Sixto. I thought this would be a really cool improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    The SF stands for "short frame". Here's a great photo by Ken Lunde that shows the G21 and G21SF side by side. You can see that the *only* difference between them is the shorter butt area, hence the SF. The grip width and everything else is exactly the same. So really... there is a difference, but it's small. Hope this helps.

Chris
    I see the difference in the photo. In fact, it seems to me that the "slight" difference you all are talking about would make a major difference to people with small hands or short fingers.

I can't wait to hold one.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    I wonder if there are any plans to do the same to the G20?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Thats It yawn

Links