Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special (modification) - Page 2

Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special (modification)

This is a discussion on Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special (modification) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The new stainless charter 44's are going for about three to three and a quarter plus shipping on the net. I don't know anything about ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special (modification)

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    The new stainless charter 44's are going for about three to three and a quarter plus shipping on the net. I don't know anything about the new ones, mine are the older models.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

I recently picked up a Charter Arms Bulldog (circa 1983) with a bobbed hammer. The modification was done by a company called; Personal Protection Systems back in the 80's. My only grudge is that they put 44 special The Terminator on one side of the barrel. The gun shoots great when I can find 44 special ammo. I have not put enough rounds through the gun to make it a carry gun yet. I am still considering sending it back to Charter Arms to have the gun given the once over since it came from a estate sale, it sat around for many years unfired if it was ever fired at all. Interesting piece but it does have more recoil than a 38 with +p. Currently I have Remington 44 special 200 gr silver tips in it.

Here is a pic of mine;

Last edited by estimber; March 10th, 2007 at 07:37 AM.
    If we treat every gun as if it was loaded, then why not treat every individual as if they are armed.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    My only comment on the issue is that if you do it , be shure and remove the SA ability of that hammer . Decocking a hammer with no spur is a ND in the happening .
    Dude, once the hammer is bobbed, you're going to have a tough time cocking it into SA position!

I say, bob it yourself. Seriously, just take the assembled gun over to the bench-grinder, and go to work.

Finish off the job with a hand-file.

When you're done, you'll have to function test it with all your ammo brands. With the reduced mass, you need to make sure you'll get no light strikes.

Worst case, you remove too much metal, and have to replace the hammer.

I did my CA .44 and .38 this way. And they had less of the hammer remaining than the pic above.

Estimber, that is what the hammer on mine looks like. I have the blued model tho.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

estimber PPS was a good outfit and did very fine work,, the hammer was left like that on purpose, giving the ability to thumb cock to single action if needed.

Call the new folks at Charter, would bet dollars to donuts that they will not touch it, as its an older model and has been modified.

I used to have a pair of 3" models that had the hammers bobbed, sold them to a friend in the State Department, who further modified them by having the barrel cut back to in front of the rod, hammer bobbed flat and the single action notch removed,

We both swore by the Winchester 200 JHP silvertips

The guns are a great "carry alot,shoot a little" pieces

Wondered that too

I wonder if "new Charter" will work on "old Charter" guns, like yours. If not, the modification is no problem, simple work for any gun plumber. If it matters to you, the original bobbed hammers and replacement spur hammers are available from Gun Parts for less than $40 bucks. Get a new mainspring while you're at it, just in case.
    http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...l=1250zBULLDOG
    One of these sits in my console as my car gun, with Mag Safe in it and some Federal LHP and Silvertips laying around in speedloaders.

I received an email last week f/CS at C/A and was told that they do work on the older revos. I was quoted $35 for clean, inspection,repair and return each for two I am sending in this week.
    Glad to see that I am not alone in the hinterlands w/these.

Estimber...that's a sweet looking piece you have there, congrats.

Personally, I much prefer the old 3-inch standard barrel model to the new Pugs. However, I wouldn't mind owning the newer one either. My only concern is the QC at the new CA company, I hear it's hit or miss.

I still kick myself for not buying one twenty years ago...
    Take Care and Stay Safe,
    Ken

NRA Member
    Administrator Integrated Close Combat Forum

REMEMBER What works for you may not, necessarily, work for me. Keep an open mind!

Thanks for the replies, I am VERY pleased with my acquisition. I much prefer (if not for looks alone) the 1st generation CA Bulldog's with the 3" barrel. Just to confirm what others have posted, CA will work on older guns even those that have been modified. I called them when I got this one and for 35.00 it seems like a deal to get it given a good "once over". I would not want to change mine back, I would just want them to look at the springs as this one seemed to sit unfired. When I received it there was absolutely NO scoring and/or carbon build up on the breach face. It came out of an estate sale and it is possible that the original owner did not fire it. My only druthers is that PPS put "THE TERMINATOR" on one side of the barrel. Not exactly what I would want on a CCW weapon. I would have preferred for PPS to have left the CA info on the barrel.

I found that I was not quite as accurate with it at the range as I am with my other revolvers. This is my first 44 and was the first time I had ever fired a 44 before. Once I realized that this is not a double tap weapon (much like my j-frames are) then I was able to keep them in the chest area of a Q target at 15 feet, which seems to the be the best practical distance for CCW (IMHO).

I picked up a speed loader for it but I am at a bit of a loss for leather gear. I have a 3" IWB holster for a Ruger SP101 that I am going to try, if that does not work then I may just try some Uncle Mike's cheap nylon stuff.

Another thing worth mentioning, CA gets alot of "bad press" on the internet. However, when I was looking for a 1st gen Bulldog I did not see many if any at all for sale. You would think that if they were as big a piece of junk as people claim (generally speaking) that the internet sights would be flooded with them. The ones that I did see for sale were priced as much and often more then new guns. I personally think that CA like most other "lesser expensive" guns not only have a cult following but those of us that own them realize that these are not target guns and they are not made for extended range sessions (as you usually wear out before they do).
    If we treat every gun as if it was loaded, then why not treat every individual as if they are armed.

Estimber, I have an old CA Undercover and it's been my primary CCW for well over 25 years now. I don't think the bad press comes from the older guns, it was Charco and after where the big problems came from.

Another thing worth mentioning, CA gets alot of "bad press" on the internet. However, when I was looking for a 1st gen Bulldog I did not see many if any at all for sale. You would think that if they were as big a piece of junk as people claim (generally speaking) that the internet sights would be flooded with them. The ones that I did see for sale were priced as much and often more then new guns. I personally think that CA like most other "lesser expensive" guns not only have a cult following but those of us that own them realize that these are not target guns and they are not made for extended range sessions (as you usually wear out before they do).
    You hit the nail on the head here...IMO.
    Take Care and Stay Safe,
    Ken

NRA Member

REMEMBER What works for you may not, necessarily, work for me. Keep an open mind!

About 25 years ago, Magna Port was doing conversions on 44 Bulldogs and called it the "backpacker". Not wanting to wait for them to do one for me, I took my gun to King's Gunworks in Glendale, CA and gave them a list of what I wanted them to do, similar to what Magna Port was doing, but I wasn't interested in magna porting the barrel.

I had them cut the barrel to 2 inches, remove the front sight, bob the hammer, hard chrome the gun and put Pachmayr Compacs on it. I thought it would be the ultimate carry piece for it's time.

Unfortunately, no matter what they did, and they did a great job, a Charter Arms is still a Charter Arms. When you opened the cylinder, it was loose and kind of wobbly and the action was not good at all. I wound up selling it.

I've been a Smith person before and since, when it comes to small revolvers. I have a nickel 49, 640 (38 only), nickel 442 and the one that moved ahead of them all...my 340 PD.
    For me, the 340 is the ultimate carry piece for it's time.

coach

I checked mine when I cleaned it today and there is NO single action capiability. I did notice that the cylinder latch screw needed tightning, anyone else experience this?

I haven't had a problem with the latch screw yet.
    I have the problem with leather you are having. Kevin at KandD Leather said he would make me a holster as did Greg Dunn. Unfortunately I went with the wrong one and still don't have my gear. (It's not Kevin)

Quote Originally Posted by estimber View Post
    I checked mine when I cleaned it today and there is NO single action capiability. I did notice that the cylinder latch screw needed tightning, anyone else experience this?
    Yes, and you may also want to check the ejector rod now and then. I sloved that problem with some padded jaw plyers.

I don't consider these to be problems, hey threaded things unscew periodically if they're not tight enough.
    Take Care and Stay Safe,
    Ken

NRA Member

Kilo,

I would agree, with the recoil that this gun goes through it is a wonder that more things are not just falling off. I am extremely pleased with this gun, I just wish there were more positive things being said about them. Perhaps a Charter Arms club.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links