Need opinions on sights

Need opinions on sights

This is a discussion on Need opinions on sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying my G19 with factory sights for a few months. I never could stand them but I haven't been able to make up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need opinions on sights

Need opinions on sights

I've been carrying my G19 with factory sights for a few months. I never could stand them but I haven't been able to make up my mind on new sights. I've always used Trijicons or Mepros on my pistols but I honestly don't like the view anymore. I've used Heinies and Novaks on others guns but never owned them. They are ok but I want a wider rear, plain black and a tritium dot on the front. Is anyone using a setup like this? Anyone try Warren Tacticals, AmeriGlo Operators? I hate to say it but 3 dot layouts are not so great for me the last year or so. Please...no getting old jokes!!! I'm in happily in denial.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Last pistol I bought (sig P245) I had the sights changed to a
    trit dot front only.

I figure that any shot I have to take in Dim light is gonna be short ,
    and the target will be WAY bigger than the dot.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I'm interested too.
    "The best compliment to the Warrior is that others feel safe while you are around." I would add especially if they REALLY ARE safe when you are around.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I used a ghost ring rear sight with an ashley extra large tritium on the front on my duty gun (Glock 21). Worked great & was real quick to pick-up. It's not a target shooting set-up, but it does what it was intended for.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Thumbs up Brommeland "Special" TruGlo TFO's

I just had my new set of two-color TruGlo TFO's installed today. They are outstanding sights!

The dots "POP" in the available lighting, from full sun to late evening. The green front sight is distinguishable from the yellow rears, and the contrast provides needed visual relief for the more "mature" eyes. These are fantastic, and I'll undoubtedly replace the Trijicons on my G17 the next time Mr. Brommeland sets up an order.

See this thread:

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=19382

BTW: Thank you Gary! These are GREAT!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Thumbs up

I am approaching legal blindness myself, look here:
    http://customglock.com/
    Sevigny, Warren, Heinie, Dawson, Ameriglo, ect. All available with wide race cuts. HTH
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

i have a set of trijicons on my g17, and they are good. they're what i'm used to, so i'm very consistent and comfortable with them.

on my carry piece, a g23, i installed a set of the XS tritium front big dot sights. i'm still getting used to them. i've endorsed them before, but i'm not getting any more comfortable with them. because of that, i'm seriously considering a set of the warren tactical sights with a tritium front. i'm probably going to give it another couple range visits before i make the final call.

anyway, i suggest trying to find someone who will let you "test drive" a few different sights before you buy. if you can't, most quality sights are pretty easily re-sold for minimal loss.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I dont have one but i understand that that " big dot " tritum front will work with almost any rear and really pop out for us older folks . I am into bifocals myself .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

older folks? Geesh, I'm 39! LOL
    Last year or so, the dots have become distracting more than helping. I actually prefer all black to them. I might have to become un-tacticool. I do like the tritium up front though. Thanks for the ideas.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    LOL yea older , i got bifocals for my 40th . Accept the age and all that goes with it , god knows we earned it lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    LOL yea older , i got bifocals for my 40th . Accept the age and all that goes with it , god knows we earned it lol .
    Great, so I probably just need glasses and my hair is turning blonde! Don't tell me whats next! LOL Seriously, if ya don't age a bit, ya haven't lived. Well that's what I was told once. Thanks guys!

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I like the AO Big Dot up front but I still prefer a Novak rear sight. You can send your slide to Novaks and have it back in a week to 10 days with your new sights in place. My set up of choice is Big Dot front and Novak new Widened Rear sight in plain black.

Good luck. (I'll put my bifocals in their case now as I cant use them when I shoot).
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I didn't know Novak had a new wide rear. That helps alot, thanks!

Sights

If it was me, I'd use the TFO front sight as a first choice, with a Big dot as a second. Any good plain metal rear would work, and you can always open up the notch until it gets to where you like it. Pretty easy to do and won't cost much. I never did like the ghost ring on pistols, but I guess I'm set in my ways, some like them a lot.

My vote goes to the XS-sights big dot (with the express rear)...I put a set on my glock 19 (10 minute install, no gunsmith needed) and have been extremely happy with them. They're very fast and they're still plenty accurate.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links