NAA, Seecamp or P3AT

NAA, Seecamp or P3AT

This is a discussion on NAA, Seecamp or P3AT within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can't believe I am asking advice on what type of gun to purchase, I sure as heck haven't had that problem before!!! Just ask my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NAA, Seecamp or P3AT

Can't believe I am asking advice on what type of gun to purchase, I sure as heck haven't had that problem before!!! Just ask my wife. Here is my delima, I need a BUG and one for deep concealment, will only be carried as primary less than 10% of the time. I have been looking at the KelTec P3AT's that so many are fond of and I keep going back and forth, I really don't like the way they feel in my hand, not to mention the galore of problems that are reported coming from these things. It seems like they can be made reliable with some tweaking and a trip or two back to KelTec, something I would like to avoid. If this was a plinking gun I wouldn't hesitate to try the KelTec but a SD gun needs to have my confidence that it will go bang, and bang again should the need arise. I have always chosen to buy higher quality weapons to avoid functionality issues. So here it is, I have found a beautiful NAA. 32ACP, reg 32, not the NAA round, with only 25 rounds through it, LNIB for $325, I am questioning going to the smaller caliber but gaining higher quality, than going with the KelTec and gaining a larger caliber with less relaibility ( at least out of the box). The Seecamp and NAA .380's are out of my price range. So which would y'all choose and why.
    Thanks
    NCHornet
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

For a deep concealment BUG you will find a lot of .32s being used. People who swear by .45 for all other purposes actually trust their life to that caliber. My wife does, not an ideal scenario but it is a lot, lot better than the alternative, being .00 caliber.
    I have watched your dilemma unfold here, I've read your posts and it's interesting to see your process of elimination.
    One question, not sure if this was already addressed by you, have you considered a J frame revolver? I carry a Taurus 85 as BUG and it's basically invisible, with a speed strip I get 10 rounds total of .38.
    But if you prefer the autos get a Kel-Tec, sure there are horror stories, but you hear a lot less noise from the happy owners and they are legion.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Ballistically, there's not much difference between .32's & .380's out of short barrels (.38's either for that matter, out of a sub 2" barrel). If you found a great price on a NAA, you might want to get it.

The .32 seecamp's great too, & it is what NAA was modeling after.

Good luck!
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I'd look hard at the KelTec if I were you. There are two generations of P3ATs out there, and I think that they got it right the second time. I put 300 rounds through mine as soon as I got it, and didn't have a single problem. I did, however, spend a lot of time before that first shooting session cycling the slide. I'm not sure if that helped smooth out some burrs or not, but I didn't think that it could hurt.

The cheap plastic based guns took a while to grow on me, but they eventually did. They are what they are, ugly "OH SHEEIT" belly guns. Nothing more.

I'd be more concerned with the rimlock issues commonly associated with the .32 than I would be with a gen2 P3AT not going BANG when needed. That is, in fact, why I went with the slightly larger P3AT over the .32. It's not the best feeling gun that I own, but all it needs to feel like is a gun that I can hit with at 15' or so. It doesn't need to feel like anything else.

Try the KelTec. If you don't like it, I'd bet that you can unload it for about what you paid for it. Gun stores can't seem to keep them on the shelves for long, and the secondary market seems to be strong.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

I have a pair of Seecamps. Price is about the same, compared to the NAA, so....... I like the fit & finish more, but NAA isn't "shabby", by any means.

Kel-Tec is lighter, and you can choose .32 or 380. It's not a lot of money either!!!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I have a model 60 snub nose 38, and although a great gun, just a little to thick for me for pocket carry. Right now I can get the KelTec for $209, free shipping and no FFL fee on my end. At that price the above poster is correct I can always sell it and at least break even.
    Thanks Y'all
    NCHornet
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

i would go with the kel tec. i got one and it is great. yes, i did the f&b on the gun. but i do some type of f&b on all of my guns, no matter whom makes it (colt 1911, glock, s&w etc...). for the price you can not beat it. kel tec will mail you any part that goes bad/break or you can send the gun back to them and they will fit it, no questions asked. did i say no questions asked. as with any gun you will need to "break it in". take it to the range and shoot it with different brands and types of ammo. you will find out what ammo the gun likes the best. get the belt clip and a uncle mike pocket holster. you will find that this gun will allway be with you when bigger guns are at home or in the car.

for the price different between the two guns, you can by lots of ammo, belt clip, and a pocket holster if you go with the kel tec.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Thanks Frank,
    No belt clip for me, if I carry on my belt it will be my Glock 23, not a P3AT, this is strictly a BUG and when I need deep concealment, when I don't carry it, it will be in my wifes purse, in a proper holster of course. I understand how to properly break in a firearm, been owning and shooting them my entire life, but I do have another question about KelTec. Many rave about their customer service, if you need to send the firearm back to them, do they spring for shipping both ways? This would be great customer service. If not I consider this poor quality control as they are simply agreeing to fix a problem that should have been caught at the factory, JMO. I agree the owner should have to pay for shipping if the gun in 3 years old and shot 2000 rounds, but not something newly owned. If they require the gun to be shipped overnight this can get really expensive for the new owner who thought he was saving a few bucks. That same difference between a NAA, Seecamp or KelTec can be ate up pretty quick with trips back to the factory. I am not one of these guys that want others to make up my mind for me, not on anything, just trying to gather some info so I can make the best choice for me, and it is turning out to be a bit harder than I thought. I do apprecaite the help.
    NCHornet
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

no you pay for one way and they pay the way back to you. but if you can work/break down guns (like a complete break down of a glock, i.e. trigger/firing pin) then all you will need are the parts. which they will mail to you free. not much to a kel tec, eazy to work on, like a glock, real eazy. but now most kel tec are 100% out of the box. my p3at was not, but it was one of the first 2 gen guns. kel tec learned from the problems and they made them better.

now to the belt clip. with the belt clip you will be deep concealment. the gun will not "print" no matter what shirt you have on. the belt clip is "like" a inside the pants holster. and the gun rides low and is hard to see even with your shirt off and/or tucked. with your shirt tail out, no way you will see it.

yes many mango season ago i was the same way, but after i tried it i change my ways.

my p3at is one of my "bugs" on duty and is my primary off duty. hard to beat a small gun that you will carry all the time.

Red State State of Mind

The Kel Tecs work great! in either 32 or 380.. they sell off eht shelf real quick.. <cuz they're cheap ,money> the NAA in 32 or 380 and the Seecamp 32 is another great quality gun.. <much more money, and they're stainless steel guns something to consider if you sweat a lot> comes down to what you're going to pay, and how it fits/feels in your hands.. <just some advice from one who works behind the counter at a large gun shop in maine>
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Frank,
    Is the clip you are talking about the one that mounts at the rear of the grip so when it is clipped on the gun is flush to the top of the pantline. The reason I ask is I saw something similar on Gunbroker for the NAA's. The other gun clips I have seen mount on the side of the gun so part of the gun is still visible when in place.
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I use that clip all summer long. I work from my vehicle, and spend most of my time in the vehicle. In the summer, I'm almost always in shorts and a T-shirt. I keep a "big" gun in the vehicle in an IWB holster in an open top bag so that I can get to it easily, and tuck it IWB if I dismount. Otherwise, the P3AT is always clipped IWB. In the winter, it usually rides in a pocket holster. No need to ever remove the clip.

Again, it is what it is. It's an ugly, highly concealable belly gun that (for me anyway) goes BANG whenever the trigger is pulled, and beats a pointy stick every time.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

Kel Tec mods

I work on a few P380s and P32s and I don't think the problem is all that bad. If I were to carry the P380 I'd cut the barrel for "smileys" and throat it while I had it apart. Maybe do a basic trigger polish job. Total cost around $20, no more than $30. for sure. For the .32, that I do carry, all I did was the ramp and a quick adjustment on my ejector, and a quick trigger job. Bottom line, shouldn't add that much to the price of the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    Frank,
    Is the clip you are talking about the one that mounts at the rear of the grip so when it is clipped on the gun is flush to the top of the pantline. The reason I ask is I saw something similar on Gunbroker for the NAA's. The other gun clips I have seen mount on the side of the gun so part of the gun is still visible when in place.
    yes the kel tec clip for the p3at mounts at the back. it uses the the rear pin to hold it on.

Red State State of Mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links