Any Remington r51 owners?

This is a discussion on Any Remington r51 owners? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Happened to be checking out Remingtons website and noticer the R51. Looks interesting with some interesting features. They claim lower recoil and easier slide manipulation. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Any Remington r51 owners?

Happened to be checking out Remingtons website and noticer the R51. Looks interesting with some interesting features. They claim lower recoil and easier slide manipulation. It looks as if it would carry nice as well with its rounded edges.
    On there site they mentioned early production problems that prompted them to stop manufacturing the pistol until the kinks were worked out. Now it claims to be good to go again but I see very little advertising for it.
    I'm not in the market for one but I wouldn't be opposed to checking one out for the heck of it and who knows. Is there anyone here that owns one and would like to share their experiences with it?

I think the debacle that was the initial roll-out scared off most folks.
    ghost tracker likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

The concept of what they are trying to do is good, unfortunately the practical mass manufacturing didn't workout so well.
    Time will tell, but I am open to be a beta tester if sent one for free.
    Brad426, Ianthin and dangerranger like this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

If the R51.2 version is free of the defects, Id try one. It has some interesting ideas, But the early ones were not finished well and it looked like their sights were loose or fell off. The slide was supposed to cycle very easily, But the rough finish prevented that. The rear sight was supposed to be able to be used to rack the slide. And it was supposed to have a very smooth trigger action. The less than stellar finishing made it into a gritty mess.

A little more attn to details in the machining process and some polishing of the effected places would make the R51 a cool CC gun. DR

I shot my nephews R51 in early 2014 when they first came out. It was a very good feeling pistol with a good trigger. I don't remember the finish or the action being gritty at all. His had a lot of light primer strikes and he wound up sending it back to Remington in the spring of 2014. He never got it back from Remington but instead was offered a credit towards another Remington firearm.

Massive flop ..They are being sued now about it due to firing when going into battery ...This sums it up well

It was a mess..What you might have seen is the gen 2 ... I dont care what they call it I am not touching it ...

I really liked the handgun till I saw how bad they were and how the take down suck ( aka you could put it back together and it pass a function test even fire but then fail after 5 round due to a spring being put in one part too bad
    Kennydale likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member
    No. Good idea poorly executed. Even if it were reliable, the take down would keep me away. There are too many better alternatives to waste my time being a guinea pig, round 2.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF - CCRKBA
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    Good form, but poor function. It might have been better had they gone with a hammer fired Browning design. For a non Browning design, the Beretta PX4 is the better gun.

VIP Member
    I really wanted it to work.
    gen3 and Ianthin like this.

After looking into it further, it appears that they haven't reached the store shelves yet. Thats too bad since I'm hitting a gun show this upcoming weekend and was going to look for one.

So they are stilling going to manufacture a new version...?? I thought the whole thing was scratched.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I really wanted it to work.
    Me too. The overall looks of it were cool to me. I was holding out for an all stainless down the road.
    Wunderneun likes this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Czombie View Post
    So they are stilling going to manufacture a new version...?? I thought the whole thing was scratched.
    According to their website its a go at some point. From what I've read its been postponed a couple times. They also show a 380 on their site that has yet to be released. Maybe the bugs are harder to get out than originally anticipated.

Quote Originally Posted by iuoe18 View Post
    According to their website its a go at some point. From what I've read its been postponed a couple times. They also show a 380 on their site that has yet to be released. Maybe the bugs are harder to get out than originally anticipated.

What I find trully stupid is this is not a new gun it is a rehash of a 1930 gun that Pedersan made .. Yet somehow they manged to bugger it up bad .

The 380 is a complety different beast

I would really wait on this .. The old school r51 was a tricky beast as well ..

Really would wait at min a year or more when the new one comes out

I mean read this from

"Earlier this year, we launched the innovative R51 subcompact pistol to critical acclaim. During testing, numerous experts found the pistol to function flawlessly. In fact, they found it to have lower felt recoil, lower muzzle rise and better accuracy and concealability than other products in its class.

However, after initial commercial sales, our loyal customers notified us that some R51 pistols had performance issues. We immediately ceased production to re-test the product. While we determined the pistols were safe, certain units did not meet Remington’s performance criteria. The performance problems resulted from complications during our transition from prototype to mass production. These problems have been identified and solutions are being implemented, with an expected production restart in October.

Anyone who purchased an R51 may return it and receive a new R51 pistol, along with two additional magazines and a custom Pelican case, by calling Remington at (800) 243-9700. You will be asked to provide your name, address, telephone number, and the serial number of your pistol. "

What does that tell you ?

Hey its a great gun .. Nothing wrong with it .. But uh yeah we will take them back ..Though again they are A ok ... Sure .... Remington R51 Pistol Product Update

FYI this is the org 1930 model https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_51

l. While the hesitation lock mechanism is still superior in many respects, the disadvantages in its complex trigger and safety mechanisms (all positives) made the pistol difficult to sell due to the high production costs associated (negative)

See I am guessing they tried to go cheep .. Which no way in heck should you do with that kind of locking set up

Either they should just make it look like a R51 but a different lock/unlock or raise the price and make the darn thing function
    iuoe18 and gen3 like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I won't buy any new product with the "Remington" name on it.
    Tundra5.7, B.C.38 and Taurahe like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links