Smith and Wesson snubby question

This is a discussion on Smith and Wesson snubby question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I eagerly await the US Government to deposit my money they took from me into my bank account, the local gun shop decided to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith and Wesson snubby question

Smith and Wesson snubby question

As I eagerly await the US Government to deposit my money they took from me into my bank account, the local gun shop decided to put their Smith and Wessons on sale this month. So, sometime in the next couple weeks, I should be purchasing a j-frame.

My question is this, I recently shot a friends brand new 442, and I thought the trigger on it was rather odd. It felt like in the trigger you could feel the hammer (or whatever the firing mechanism in them is) being pulled back and cocked during the long pull, and then a short pause before it would finally break and fire. Is this normal for the hammerless j-frames? Or did this one just have a new trigger or bad trigger?

I just did dry fires on my Rossi 461 in DA, and like the trigger pull on it better. Its a whole lot smoother than that smith's was. Thanks for the input.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    J frame triggers typicaly " stack " on double action . Wear in will lesson this , and a trigger job can actualy be done two ways , either to eliminate stack or enhance it . If you stage that " feeling " just right you can nearly shoot single action accuracy at matches but it does not have a lot more application than that since in a fight you will " pull thro " anyway . Enough estoric crap tho lol it can be cleaned up if you want it to , and there are options on how .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

This was the first DAO revolver I had shot, and I wasn't sure if it was normal or not, apparently it is though.

I wasn't really a big fan, but the 638 bodyguard model is acutally 10 bucks cheaper than the 642 for the month, so I'll probably just get one of those instead.

Thanks for the quick reply RR.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I bought a new S&W 642 and had the gunsmith do a trigger job with new spring kit--cost was $35 plus parts, for a total of about $45 or so.

And, NO it did not lighten the trigger to the point of being in any way unsafe. It wasn't about lightening it up, but smoothing it out.

I highly recommend using a gunsmith rather than doing it yourself or letting cousin Sparky do it....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I have an older model 442 (From '94, I believe). It's pretty smooth, & I believe a new one with smooth out with use, but you can get the action smoothed out & it doesn't cost much. The bodyguard models are nice because of the SA option. I like the enclosed hammer better though, because I used to carry it on an ankle holster daily & you'd be amazed at the crud a gun picks up there.

Another plus of the bodyguard model is that it's a tad lighter than the centennial series (Enclosed hammers).
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Jimmy , I almost never recomend that a user work on a gun especialy a gun for self defense . That being said , accelerated wear , such as flitz or valve grinding coumpound is not only ok within it limits but is undectetable . Its just to me a dry fire it 50 reps and get 500+ advantage on natural wear . I have a site which is expanding for home gunsmithing , but ts not for most forum members , Anyone can see how an action works and apply a mild abrasive to accelerate the cycle or shoot inn. I will not get into the change anything issue for handgun owners , and for the record i am a minimalist , but if something actualy makes me hit better with my gun , then it is court defensable .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I have a 638 (J-Frame)...No stack whatsoever, and a DA pull "smooth as a snake in buttermilk"...No trigger job or mods needed.

Administrator
    Trigger pulls vary on all S&W revolvers.
    From modestly stiff & gritty to very fine right and "decent" right out of the box.
    All can easily and perfectly tuned and be made great though.
    A DAO S&W will tune to a slightly smoother pull than a SA/DA.

My 642 has a bit of stacking as well and as RR said, I can use that to stage the trigger when I'm at the range. It's gotten a bit smoother through normal use and a little dry firing and continues to show improvement each time I give it a workout.
    Jack

@buckeye07 -

I have the 638. It and the 442 are both good guns. Just depends on if you want the S/A function or not. Trigger should smooth out after some use.

I am going to take a stab in the dark that you are talking about the sale prices at Vance's? If so, be advised that they put those S&W J frames on sale about every other month. So if Uncle Sam sits on your money too long to get the sale price......just wait about 6 weeks and you will see those sale prices again.

Whatever model you decide to get......put a set of Crimson Trace LG-405 grips on it. They are expensive, yes, but you will be very glad you did................very glad! They can be had on Ebay for about $200.
    John -
    "The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

I would recommend leaving the J-Frame alone and just shoot the heck out of it. It will smooth up and the trigger pull may even lessen.

I don't do anything to my J-Frames, they are all stock except for the glow in the dark paint I put on the front sight.

Biker

I have (and carry) a 638-3 that I bought in 1999. It is a pre-lock and after a couple of hundred rounds the trigger is pretty much as smooth as they get. If you get a model with an exposed hammer a small drip of oil on the back of the hammer (where the metal meets) will add to smoothing out the trigger somewhat. Each of the j-frame have their merits depending on what you intend them to do. I have found that j-frames with an exposed hammer seem to have a smoother trigger (for some reason) than the internal hammer models. This is largely why I chose the 638 over a 442/642.

I did add the Crimson Trace LG-405 grips to mine and it is one HELL of a CCW package!
    If we treat every gun as if it was loaded, then why not treat every individual as if they are armed.

BIG plus on thr crimson trace grips. Spend the money and you will be very glad you did...They allow you to be able to defend yourself in any situation or position as long as you can get the dot on the BG and squeeze. I have owned and love to shoot the J frames for years. Also own autos but the revolver has a special place for me. Get the laser grips, but practice alot without them. IMHO I would shoot the gun awhile before you get the trigger job. Dry firing the S&W J frame is OK and if you really relax and learn the three stage trigger on the gun you might like it. Check out the High Road web site where they have a long thread devoted to the 642 club.
    Evil does not have to come as a Tidal Wave...Even ripples in a lake with time can bring down a Sea Wall...Let's be a WALL...

I am going to take a stab in the dark that you are talking about the sale prices at Vance's? If so, be advised that they put those S&W J frames on sale about every other month. So if Uncle Sam sits on your money too long to get the sale price......just wait about 6 weeks and you will see those sale prices again.
    Yeah John, that would be Vance's. But if I get it this month i get a free T-shirt too!!!! I'm from Cincy originally, but have made every firearm purchase from Vance's since I found out about them, because I usually can't find a better price. Even if it means a drive up in the summer.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

My 642 and my 640 both stack but the 640 had a trigger job and is much smoother. Steve48

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links