Glock Trigger Modification

This is a discussion on Glock Trigger Modification within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have recently started looking into competition shooting. I shoot my glock 19 alot so it would probobly be the gun I would compete with. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock Trigger Modification

I have recently started looking into competition shooting. I shoot my glock 19 alot so it would probobly be the gun I would compete with. I was at my local gun shop/range talking to some of the hardcore glock guys today. I was checking out this one guy's glock that caught my eye. The modifications he did to the gun was he put in a 3.5 lb connector, a trigger overtravel stop, and a 4 lb striker spring. I love the feel of this trigger set-up and Im considering doing the same to my g19. But I do have some concerns. Im wondering if these modification could adversly affect the reliablility of my gun in any way. Thats my biggest concern, also the decreased safety factor is a little bit of an issue. Sometimes I have friends that come with me to shoot that aren't as seasoned a shooter as I am. I think with these modifications I wouldn't feel comfortable letting them use this pistol, since the trigger pull is about 2.5-3 lbs with no safetys. Just some thoughts, any opinions on this these modifications?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Do the mods if you desire them; and then the gun is for only you to fire. Have or get other guns if you want to let other people use your guns. Nothing says you have to let them use your competition baby, after all.

I doubt that Patty Wagstaff rents out her competition aerobatic airplane when she's not busy using it. I doubt Rob Leatham just hands his comp guns over to people to shoot recreationally. You simply have every right to say, "This one's mine; it's not suited to be having everyone else use it." The reasons can be your own.

Mod' On The Trigger...

are not something I would do to any of my guns, but I'm not entering any contests either...

I am not a 'smith', but people I talk with about Glocks tell me how dependable Glocks can be...that is...if you do not make changes to them...if you do, then it's a different story.

If you think a pound or two is going to make a difference...go for it, but I would keep things as they are...my G-36 shoots quite well 'as is', and I wouldn't change anything...but that's me...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    If you want to mod it do it. I wouldn't carry it concealed but I may let others shoot it. Keep records on round counts and wear on your gear (guns/mags/holsters) so you can replace wearing parts before they become a problem. For competition I would get another G19 and set it up the same way.

A friend that shoots comp recently had a trigger spring break. He followed the rule that two is one and had an exact copy of his comp gun in his bag. He dropped points on the stage, but was up and running for the next stage with his backup gun. Of course no competitions until he fixed his primary because by the same rule three is two.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

If it's a EDC that you are carrying I would not put a competition trigger set-up in.

I used to carry a Glock 19 and have a Model 34 "Game Gun". Since my 19 was my EDC I put a NY1 Trigger in and kept the stock connector. The NY1 Trigger gave me a more positive reset and a revolver like feel. Since I like revolvers it was a win-win for me.

The Model 34 is a great "game" gun, but I feel that for me the trigger is too light for street use. Glock says that the 3.5 Connector is NOT for street use. With that said, some people do use the 3.5 Connector with a NY1 Trigger for a 5.5 pound trigger pull for their EDC.

I did try the NY1 with a 3.5 Connector, and liked it. It gave me an approximate 5.0 Trigger pull, where as my NY1 with a 5 pound Connector gives me an 8 pound trigger pull. In a court of law, since Glock does not sell their 3.5 pound Connector for "street" use, I figured I was better off using a "non-game" Connector.

With Glock you have many options that are cheap and easy to do. The trick is being able to survive in court if you ever have to defend yourself. As far as other add ons, with the exception of sights, I prefer to leave the bloody thing alone.

I read an article by Clint Smith where he said that the only ones that fail in his classes are the ones with extended add ons. YMMV.

Biker

VIP Member
    I would do it, for no other reason than I dislike a long trigger pull

Why do people believe that a gun with a 'competition' trigger isn't suitable for conceal carry. If its the gun that you practice with the most with then it would seem to me practical to conceal it. I like carrying my G19 alot but I think Im going to pick up another G19 to leave stock for carry. But it seems to me that a gun with a trigger modified to my liking would be more effective If I did ever have to defend myself. I would almost go with scotts opinion and mod both G19's and still conceal one. I am thinking that if the reason that I would have to deploy my weapon is justified, then how the trigger was configured wouldn't be an issue.

Do a search on trigger mods for carry or anything like that you will find out more info than you care to or read

Mostly it goes back to the hair trigger thing and trying to defend it in court
    This has been beat to death and no for sure anwser my Carry gun has a 4# trigger pull from the builder and i wouldn't go any lighter but thats me

Nor would i disable any safetys

3.5 Glock

I have a 3.5 in my carry G19. I'm also a Glock armorer, and they do say not to use it for CCW. I believe there are good, court-defensible reasons to do so. I do not have the trigger stop, I believe it's the only trigger modification that will reduce reliability in a CCW. I feel the same about the Ghost part with the built-in trigger stop. I've fit a lot of those and they can be fit so tight there is a chance of dirt or grunge keeping the cruciform sear from dropping and preventing the gun from firing. I usually fit them a bit loose on customers guns for that reason. Haven't tried the one with all the holes in it yet. I personally don't like the feel of the 3.5 with the NY tirgger spring, lots of people do. Go here:
    http://ghostinc.zoovy.com/
    They'll have one you like. And they recommend the 3.5 for a defense gun, too.
    Last edited by Superhouse 15; March 11th, 2007 at 07:35 PM. Reason: typo

VIP Member
    BMW, it is because many in our community are scared to death that they will be thrown in jail and sued for using force to defend themselves. It is a tricky argument, but one I choose not to believe. From a legal standpoint, the only question is whether you were justified in using deadly force. If you were, the method in which you used that force does not matter. I have faith in my attorney to get this point across in such a way that it will not effect me. That said, my Glock triggers are stock. I like the way they feel and know that in order for the part changes to really impact a shooter they would have to be much better than I am.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

superhouse 15, the issue with the trigger stop that my friends gun was having is probobly the same issue you're talking about. When he first set his gun up, he had the trigger set back so far, that is would sometimes not reset. To cure this problem he set it slightly loose so there was still some play in the trigger. He told me that he had no problems after that.

Yeah, the Ghost takes some common sense, installing- leave a bit of room. Jentra- bad idea. Lonewolf- that one I would be concerned about grunge locking up. Ghost is really the best candidate, and it does work well. Someone here (QK maybe?) had issues with not being able to release the trigger, when the muzzle was gripped tightly(on a carry gun, dry-fire ). YMMV.....

I have a 3.5 connector on my Glock 35 and I only use it for competition. Steve48

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I'd do it if it's only for competition. The rangemaster at my Dept. showed me his new Glock 17 that he bought & has modified the trigger. He ONLY uses it for competition. His EDC's a G-26, unmodified except for wolff springs in the mags & I believe the recoil spring. That's all & it's for reliability only.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I would definitely have concerns if it was my carry gun.
    GeorgiaCarry.Org Member
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links