Cocked and Locked? - Page 3

Cocked and Locked?

This is a discussion on Cocked and Locked? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK ~ you partially redeemed yourself. Meanwhile that Colt hammer pin is one tough pin. I have seen Colt pistols do thousands on thousands of ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cocked and Locked?

Administrator

Euclidean

OK ~ you partially redeemed yourself.
    Meanwhile that Colt hammer pin is one tough pin.
    I have seen Colt pistols do thousands on thousands of rounds with not even a trace of visible wear on that pin...save for the bluing worn off.
    The Colt pins are hardened/tempered tool steel...very tough & strong.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

A point to make QK: I know that the 1911 platform does offer a great amount of interchangeability of parts. But I notice you specifically said a Colt pin. Does that mean you're running some kind of risk using a different part?

The last time I checked, a new genuine Colt brand 1911 is impossible to come by even if you do have the money. I had three people in my CCW class lament to me that they had $1400 to $2000 saved up just in case they ever found one for sale. All 3 of them even were on the long, long waiting list at every local gun store.

That blows my mind. I'd just go buy one of those Springfield FBI models and be done with it if I were them. It seems like it would be the same thing to me. But is there something about the Colt that's just that important?

Are the Colt parts just as hard to get? Or am I picking at a nit?

Colts can be hard to get and orginal colt parts harder ... if you can find one you can get a colt for about 800$

I have a Springer with no problems and think there a good choice.

But a true orginal colt would be sweet though( im talking early models pre 70 or series 70 ) cost prohibitive

If I were to ever go buy a 1911 I think I'd get a stainless Springfield Mil-Spec. I just like that model a lot for some reason I can't fathom.

One thing a little off the topic I'd like to bring up is that cocked and locked carry will wane more and more however. Why?

Like many if not most gun owners I've never had a 1911. They're too cost prohibitive overall.

When I bought my first handgun of my very own I had $350 to throw around. What kind of 1911 are you typically going to get for that kind of scratch? Some used Charles Daly affair or perhaps Phoenix Arms. I'll pass thank you.

The 686-2 I have is not nearly as nice as your typical Kimber or Springfield or Wilson, but you know what, it works and works well and it's almost as nice at that.

When I bought my first designated carry gun I had $300 to spend. Good luck finding a 1911 in a subcompact size in that price range that's any good.

I have budgeted $500 for my next carry gun. I can still get a much nicer gun in a different physical format. And that is five hundred dollars for Pete's sake!

Guns in gerneral arent cheep nor are 1911's 700 for my springer loaded 750 for my soon to be picked up smith wesson 1911SC hey its only money and ya only live once. picked up my colt used cheeper than both of those though

True enough Bud. I like to point to my friend in FL however. He has been carrying a year and you know what his only handgun is?

A Makarov he bought for $140. And he practices with it regularly and knows it well.

He drools at my guns like I drool at some other people's. Those Smiths of mine are just too far beyond his financial grasp. But he holds consistent tight groups with his Makarov.

Some people would consider him far too undergunned to seriously defend himself. I would disagree.

Very true if he trusts it and pratices a lot with it then he sint under gunned a hit with a 9mm or any caliber is better than a miss with a 45..

But would i carry it ... No way ...But maybe im a Gun Snob :smi-rowbo

There are only two safe ways to carry a 1911, cocked and locked, or chamber empty.

Sig guys---most of the exciting stuff with Sigs happens when the owner tries to lower the hammer without the decocker. Several reports in the past year.

If you want to lower the hammer on a live round, don't do it when I am running the range--because you will be asked to leave and not return.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Okay, you can't know that one of our FAMILY members, the 15 yr old cat died last week. We went out to dinner and came home to find her stiff and cold on the floor. Had her cremated and her ashes will go into my wifes casket when its her time. In fact all out pet CHILDREN will do the same. My wife is still EXTREMELY distraught. Sorry, I just don't think that was a funny comment. But neither am I angry at you. Not everybody looks at pets in the same way, we know that.
    I hear you!
    Check out the picture of my cat in my ID box. She rules the house.

The 1911

Lowering a hammer on a live round on a 1911 is stupid. I am sorry if that offends anyone, but it is a safety issue. Cocked and Locked is the safest way other than empty period. Half cocked is crazy. The mechanisim is not designed to be carried this way. Half cocked will discharge if dropped. If Cocked and Locked is too scary to look at then one should choose another weapon. It is the same stuff I hear about Glocks. Are they safe to be carried chambered...NO if you put your finger on the trigger, Yes if you know what you are doing. These are the same people who will Mexican carry (not a racial slur) a double action revolver, but be frightened of a chambered Glock. The 1911 is an excellent pistol format. If you carry it any other way than the design intent then you are putting yourself and others in danger. I would trust a cocked and locked 1911 over any decocker, idiot-proof phaser any day. I rant..but for safety!

Administrator

I Drink The Colt Kool~Aid

I admit it...GUILTY...I am a Genuine COLT guy.
    Concerning .45s
    I only buy Colt & SIG and (These Days) I only know (first hand) about Colt & SIG.
    I would consider a SIG 1911 "clone" because I know exactly "what non~SIG parts & from where" go into its manufacture.
    I'll let others evaluate the non COLT 1911s like Springfield & Norinco etc.

Carrying hammer down on a loaded chamber with a 1911 is very dangerous. In addition to the issues with lowering the hammer on a loaded chamber, there is another issue. The 1911 uses an inertia firing pin shorter than the firing pin channel, and the pistol can fire if the hammer is struck a blow while at rest against the firing pin.

There are 1911-pattern pistols that have firing pin safeties that would eliminate this issue (Colt Series '80 and the 1930's Colt safety system now used by Kimber), but there is still no safe way to lower the hammer on a loaded chamber since the trigger must be actuated to lower the hammer.

If a 1911 is to be carried, either carry it cocked and locked or carry it with an empty chamber. Since the latter is of no use to me, I carry mine cocked and locked.

Hello,
    Sorry to chime in late. I own a CZ85 Combat SA. Yes it's SA only. I had EGW put a single action trigger, sear and trigger job. Why? I hated riding that hammer down on a live 9mm round. I would just imagine alittle slip and BAMM!
    Why didn't I just trade it before the work for a CZ75 SA? Well it is Duo tone and has adjustable sights and I got it for a song. It is a complete joy to shoot and I carry it often. It's all about how you train with the tools you choose.

Administrator

Thumbs up Entry Red

Chime In Any Time ~ Late or Early!

"It's all about how you train with the tools you choose."
    Yep...You got that right!

I carry C&Led and shoot high-thumb (my thumb rides on top of the safety). Having to cock the pistol would only slow me down, and it does feel unnatural to me, always has.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links