Kimber Pro Carry or Colt Commadner Opinions Please

This is a discussion on Kimber Pro Carry or Colt Commadner Opinions Please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like both Kimber Pro Carry and Colt 1991A1 Commander but cannot decide on with one to get. I am looking for a new carry ...

Thread: Kimber Pro Carry or Colt Commadner Opinions Please

I like both Kimber Pro Carry and Colt 1991A1 Commander but cannot decide on with one to get. I am looking for a new carry gun and want to spend no more then $700. The Kimber I can charge but the Colt I have to pay cash for The Kimber is a lot lighter then the Colt but I do not like that it does not have dots on the sites. Thats the only set back I can think of besides paying about $45more dollars for the kimber which also has a 4inch barrel compared to the commander 4.25inch barrel. Also, the colt has more weight then the kimber. Opinions please!

I have a Pro Carry II that I carry daily. I find it to be a great pistol. I've never owned a Colt Commander, so I can't really compare them, but I trust my life to my Kimber.

The Kimber did have some issues during the break-in process (which was talked about in the manual), but after that it has been flawless. The aluminum frame is nice for carry because it is lighter, but I don't think you can go wrong either way.

The only change to mine I've done was to add a ambidex safety because I'm a lefty.

EDIT: Here's my Range Report on the Pro Carry. http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...+Report+Kimber
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Either should serve you well, and that extra quarter inch isn't gonna make a lot of difference at self defense ranges (typically within 7 yds). There are a lot of options out there. If you want to spend <$700 on either one you'll have to go used. Another really good commander style is the Para LTC Here's a pic of mine

It has a 4.25 inch barrel, and is just as light as the Kimber. It also has the Para Power extractor, Novak style sights, and a ramped barrel. I got it second hand for under $700. It is very accurate and has not missed a beat. It (or something like it) could be a "best of both worlds" option for you. You get the longer barrel and the reduced weight in the same package.

I have several "commander" length pistols, including a Combat Commander, Lightweight Commander, Kimber Pro Carry Series 1, and a Dan Wesson CBOB, and all are good, but the Para is the best combination for daily carry for me.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Both are great carry guns. Go to a range and rent one to see which one you like. Steve48

I have a Kimber Compact that I carried for a number of years (I’ve since changed to a full-sized Kimber TLE). Both the slide and frame on my gun are stainless steel. It’s been a good, reliable gun, and hasn’t given me any trouble.

Any of the good name brands Colt, Kimber, S&W, Springfield, etc would probably do you a good job. It’s more important that you buy a gun that fits you well than one of a particular brand. Even though the different brands are built on the same basic pattern, they will each have a slightly different feel. Pick the one that feels most natural to you.

Once you decide on a gun, I’d strongly suggest you spend the extra money and buy one with night sights. If you don’t find one in stock at your local gun store, consider having them order one for you. I know Kimber will provide night sights on just about any model they offer, on a special order basis. I suspect the other manufacturers will, as well. Most defensive encounters happen in low light, and a good set of night sights can be invaluable in this kind of situation.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

I have 3 colt commander and a eclipse pro carry out of the custom shop

i prefer the colt and the 4 1/4 barrel to the 4" bushingless barrel of the kimber

Also less MIM in the colt a lot less and colt offers a lifetime warranty and kimber only 1 year

Some may scoff at the warranty issue but when its money out of your pocket it changes unless you know how to work on them

If you can rent them do and see which you like better

I have one of the older colt Officers acp pistols with the 3 1/2" barrle i would stay with colt for me i had a couple kinbers that i had trouble with and i wont buy another that my oppinion. but if you have one and it works go for it but the colts are nicer
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

I Have A 4" Kimber...

My Pro CDP II is one of two Kimbers that I have...the other, my Ultra CDP II is my EDC...
    My Pro has never caused problems; I purchased the Ultra to 'save space' on my side...neither has ever caused problems...I trust both!

Colt or Kimber...you can't really go wrong...heck, I'm just glad you want a 1911...

Have fun picking out the 'winner'...keep us posted on the 'results'...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Both are good - matter of personal preference

Quote Originally Posted by gunsblazin View Post
    Also, the colt has more weight than the kimber. Opinions please!
    Are you comparing a steel frame Colt Commander to an aluminum frame Kimber Pro? You can also get a lightweight Commander (aluminum frame) that will weigh about the same as the Kimber.

I think both these 1911 brands are excellent, and I'm sure you could enjoy either one. I have a number of Colts and one Kimber Pro, and can't fault any of them. I have carried the Kimber a fair amount - it is the Pro CDP model with "melted" slide. In the Colt I don't have a Commander, but do have the 3 inch barrel Defender, which runs well and is easy to conceal.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Are you comparing a steel frame Colt Commander to an aluminum frame Kimber Pro? You can also get a lightweight Commander (aluminum frame) that will weigh about the same as the Kimber.

I think both these 1911 brands are excellent, and I'm sure you could enjoy either one. I have a number of Colts and one Kimber Pro, and can't fault any of them. I have carried the Kimber a fair amount - it is the Pro CDP model with "melted" slide. In the Colt I don't have a Commander, but do have the 3 inch barrel Defender, which runs well and is easy to conceal.

Yes, I was comparing the Colt commander steel frame to the aluminum frame Kimber. I wanted to keep the price right around $700 so the CDP(looks like an amazing carry gun) and the Colt Lightweight Commadner(also looks like an amazing gun are out of the question. I wish I could buy them both!

I think your choices are great but I think you would be remiss if you didn't also consider the lightweight Scandium Smith & Wessons, the Scandium or the PD
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    If you like both, I'd go with the lighter one if it's going to be a carry gun. It may not seem to make a difference at first, but it will as time goes by. keep in mind that if you did get the Kimber & don't like the sights, those can be changed out easily after you've saved of some $. There're plenty after-market parts for them, that's for sure.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

You can't go wrong with a good Colt. My Combat Commander IS HEAVY to carry but a dream to shoot. With a proper holster and belt rig it can be toted around without much problem. I prefer Kramer IWB rigs for deep concealment. OWB carry is more comfortable. Might sound strange but the weight of the Colt is rather comforting.

Thanks for all the replies unfortunately I am now looking at the Para LTC lightweight commander model.

http://www.paraord.com/product/product.html?id=3

I did test fire this gun awhile back and really fell inlove with it but the price was pretty high at the local gun shop because it was a speacial order. I did a search today for it online and found a decent price for one so I think I am going to buy it.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsblazin View Post
    Thanks for all the replies unfortunately I am now looking at the Para LTC lightweight commander model.

http://www.paraord.com/product/product.html?id=3

I did test fire this gun awhile back and really fell inlove with it but the price was pretty high at the local gun shop because it was a speacial order. I did a search today for it online and found a decent price for one so I think I am going to buy it.
    Excellent choice. No problems with mine since the day I bought it.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Links