most hated??

most hated??

This is a discussion on most hated?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i recently bought a s&w 9ve. i've taken it to my local outdoor range, and i've put it through its paces. it shoots well, is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: most hated??

most hated??

i recently bought a s&w 9ve. i've taken it to my local outdoor range, and i've put it through its paces. it shoots well, is accurate, has never jammed up on me, is really comfortable, was reasonably priced, and is an all around good gun. here's the thing: when i try to find out anything about it, whether online or from local gun shops/owners, all i get is a lot of negative feedback. one gentleman went so far as to say "i don't know what possessed you to buy that POS." now, i know about the whole glock lawsuit thing, but is there anything else besides that, or is there something else i should know about? it's difficult to find accessories for it anywhere (light systems, holsters, etc) and i was wondering if this is an effect of an industry backlash.

a few of said people have also told me "i don't know why you just didn't buy a glock." i know there are a lot of glock people out there; nothing against glocks, i realize they are technically sound, they just don't sit well in my hands.

I'm with you on the glock plus i had some problems with mine, (1911 all the way), i dont know why people are telling you those things but i have a friend who keeps one at home for his wife. no problems and always goes bang. thats all that matters
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

Lead Moderator
    some were less than excellent guns. crappy triggers, ect. If yours works well, keep it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    The early models had lots of problems, but I think S&W most fixed them. They just didnt do it fast enough to save the guns rep. It was designed as a entry level pistol, and it could fill that role well.
    As far as the aftermarket problem, I just think its a sound business choice by the manufactures. They are not as near as popular than the Glocks, XDs etc., and they do not use standard rails or dovetails. Everything has to be made specifically for the ve series. Then throw in the fact that someone who buys a budget gun is less likely to drop big money on the add ons. Maybe lasers could turn a profit for them, but like I said, they have to make 'em just for the ve.
    Last edited by SIXTO; March 13th, 2007 at 01:54 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Have you tried searching Gunbroker for accessories? You should be able find some stuff for your pistol there.
    Hey...if it works and it's accurate and you shoot it well then who gives a crap what anybody else thinks.

I think "back when" the S&W pistols were nicknamed SWOCKS 'cause they copied so much (very closely) from the GLOCK design. Don't expect Glock lovers to have any love for the S&W version. I think later on SW redesigned the trigger but, not because it was defective or a crappy or faulty trigger design but, because it was a Glock patent infringment. (I'm almost positive about that)
    Last edited by QKShooter; March 13th, 2007 at 03:15 AM.

I heard that you could actually run a glock slide and barrel on the Sigma. At least that's what I heard. I think that it was such a blatent rip off, that people lost respect for the gun and the company. On the good side though, it's better looking than a Glock and if it's so much like a Glock how bad could it be?
    If he was gonna decorate his bar with my friend, he shoulda armed himself.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Doesn't matter what they say. The gun doesn't jam on you, you can hit with it and you like it.

Let'em have their Glocks. Stick with the Smith, don't think any more about it and don't look back.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by swedgin View Post
    I heard that you could actually run a glock slide and barrel on the Sigma. At least that's what I heard. I think that it was such a blatent rip off, that people lost respect for the gun and the company. On the good side though, it's better looking than a Glock and if it's so much like a Glock how bad could it be?
    Not true running the Glock slide on a Sigma frame. If you get the 40VE it has an actually fully supported chamber.

I have a 3rd gen 40VE and use it as a HD gun with a light on the front end. I have had 3500+ truely trouble free rounds down range, fits my hand perfectly, points naturally, the trigger is tough but consistent and gets better the more you shoot or dry fire it, and my 40 hold 14+1 or 15+1 rounds in the double stack mag.

So for the price you really can't go wrong and is Smith's top 3 seller for many years. Check out the S&W Forum for more questions.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I've got a Browning BDM 9mm. Trust me, I know about being the black sheep at the range. There isn't a gunsmith within 1000 miles that will touch the thing, and it gets all sorts of comments when folks know I've got it.

Of course, 90% of the time that changes the moment they pick it up. It's the slimmest, lightest 15rd 9mm pistol I know of. It's amazingly concealable, despite being a full-sized frame. It's designed to be ambidextrous. It's highly reliable. It's reasonably accurate, though it won't win any contests. But, it's got an odd decocker/safety where thumbing down puts it on "safe." 1911 folks dislike it for that. Being on the tail end of the "wonder 9" era and introduced at the time of the original AWB in 1994, it didn't do well in the market, either. Still, I love it.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; March 13th, 2007 at 10:14 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have a 9VE, got it for under $300 out the door with 3 16 round mags and a lifetime warranty. People don't like them because of the Glock thing, and apparently early runs had frame problems. The trigger on it isn't the greatest, and I have friends that can't stand to shoot it because of that, but it works for me.

Why didn't I buy a Glock instead, because it would have been 200 bucks more and I have never found a Glock I shot well.

It is what it is meant to be, an entry level semi-auto. If it works for you, keep it, I'll be keeping mine.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator

Thumbs up Regarding Black Sheep Guns

I was going to buy an Israeli Military Industries BARAK (the price was right) but, it looked too much like a cross between a Ray Gun ~ my Wife's blow dryer & a Hot Glue Gun...so I decided against it.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Fix the crappy trigger and keep the gun. Steve48

Just like the critics on the Hi Point's.... hey, each time I pull the trigger, it goes "boom" and not in my hand either. Sure, they look crappy, are cheap, but for a house or truck gun, nothing wrong with that. Sure not for CCW though, as too darn heavy and big.
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

i appreciate everyone's comments; at least now i have a clue. i'm a noob to guns and carrying; i used to be one of those "other" people (you know, ignorant). i'm just glad i didn't buy a piece of junk. eventually, i might move on to something else, either the xd sub, or or the s&w mp compact. i had originally intended on buying the glock 19 or 26, but they just didn't feel right. the only other compacts i could find were the sigma, a kimber, the xd, an hk, and a little tiny .22 by north american arms (has anyone seen those things?). the sigma just felt the best, although i really liked the kimber. thanks again to everyone for all their input.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    I always thought that the grip angle on a Sigma worked better for me than the one on the Glock. I had an early Sigma 9mm for a while and was pleased with it. It wasn't the best handgun by far, but it was far from the worst.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links