The Do It ALL Gun...

This is a discussion on The Do It ALL Gun... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does it exist? I am trying to find that ellusive do everything gun: you know, fun at the range, easily concealable on my slight frame, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Do It ALL Gun...

The Do It ALL Gun...

Does it exist? I am trying to find that ellusive do everything gun: you know, fun at the range, easily concealable on my slight frame, fun for my petite wife at the range, effective personal defense, and effective home defense, all the while being safe enough in case I lose some brain cells and forget to stowe it properly and one of my three little toddlers gets to it.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I don't think there's such a thing as a gun that's safe enough incase a toddler gets ahold of it. I suppose late model S&W J-frame snubbies with an internal lock would fit the bill.

If you activate the internal lock, no one's going to be able to fire the weapon (Not that I would leave my firearm around for my or someone else's child to get it). The airweight model's are brisk shooting, but not as bad as the titanium models & with the right grips & load, it can be acceptable for the wife. It'll definitely get the job done as far as a CCW. In fact, J-frames are arguably the number one anytime gun.

Is it perfect? No, but it's probably the closest thing to what you're asking for.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

With the oldest being barely four, I don't plan on them even knowing that I have a gun much less leave it out for them to play with it, I simply meant that if all else fails, and it is out of the safe, trigger lock off, in the kids reach, loaded, (which would never happen, but then again I am sure there have been plenty of people who have said that), that if they managed to pick it up and pull the trigger, it would not go bang unless they had the safeties disengaged as well. In the end, no loaded gun in the hand of a 4 year old is safe, but there are some that might be safer than others.

So, let's not get too hung up on the safety features of the gun, but if ya'll wouldn't mind thinking through guns that handle the aforementioned tasks well, I would appreciate your insights.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I'd still say a J-frame snubbie. No matter what the safety, I don't think that, "If a toddler gets ahold of it" is a criteria in that it should not be something that happens.

Considering the other criteria, I'd still say a...J-frame snubbie.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

never been much of a fan of revolver other than they are about as reliable as they come.

kpw
    Maybe a Taurus 24/7, internal lock and a manual safety. It will not replace your brain though. Kids like to flip levers and push buttons on things.

My 4" GP-100 comes close to my(can do all) handgun
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

If you can get around the .380 caliber, a Bersa Thunder would work very well. Love mine.......1063 rounds so far with no hiccups. It has an internal lock and magazine disconnect (not what I'd choose but whatever) and is EXTRAORDINARILY accurate and pleasant to shoot.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

Many guns fit your spec, but safety is mental...

Quote Originally Posted by lilducky08 View Post
    Does it exist? I am trying to find that ellusive do everything gun: you know, fun at the range, easily concealable on my slight frame, fun for my petite wife at the range, effective personal defense, and effective home defense, all the while being safe enough in case I lose some brain cells and forget to stowe it properly and one of my three little toddlers gets to it.
    Quite a few guns will meet most of your criteria above, including the "effective, concealable, fun at range, etc." A proven brand and model in medium size firing an effective caliber should do this. For example, a Sig P229 in .40, a S&W steel revolver with 4 inch barrel in .357, or a Colt Commander in .45 could qualify.

As for safety around children or foolish people, this is a function of the gun owner rather than the gun. If one is careless enough to leave a loaded gun where they can get it, he will also be careless enough not to apply any mechanical safety, such as a locking device. The best safety is to use your head when dealing with guns, and lock them in a safe when not in use.

I vote for the Ruger SP 100 with a 4" barrow as a all around gun. It's well made and small enough to hide away plus the fact that it is very reliable.

If it weren't for this requirement:

all the while being safe enough in case I lose some brain cells and forget to stowe it properly and one of my three little toddlers gets to it.
    I would have suggested a Glock 19.

Then again... if you're willing to NOT lose some brain cells and NEVER forget to stowe it in a safe and inaccessible place, I'd like to suggest a Glock 19. That was my choice, and I have a 4 and 6 year old at home.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions about the G19 or why I chose it, let me know. I'll try to answer them as best as I can.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by lilducky08 View Post
    A gun that's easy to use, easy to fire ... but won't be so easy in the event your toddler gets it? Doesn't exist, of course. That last part is your problem (you know: safe, secure storage while it's not in use; or carrying it, when it is).

There are plenty of guns that are fun, concealable and effective. Just peruse the discussions in search of what everyone carries. It's highly dependent on your body build, your mode of carry, your clothing, your climate, and your preferences. Nearly anyone can carry a full-sized 1911 government model and two spare magazines, with the appropriate holster, belt and clothing. Nearly anyone can carry a J-frame S&W revolver either IWB or inside the pocket (almost without regard to clothing, so long as it fits loosely enough).

My choice: A CZ P01. It's 28oz, 7.1" long, 5.3" high, 1.2" wide; it has no external safety lever; it carries 14+1 rounds of 9mm ammo. It also conceals just fine IWB with a light jacket or loose shirt covering well below the belt line. I'd prefer smaller, sure, but not at the expense of reliability, balance, accuracy or the number of rounds. It works with my mode of dress. It works in the places I need to carry. It works winter or summer. While about the largest I'd prefer to carry, it fits all the needs I have for going armed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

1. Ruger SP101
    2. CZ PCR
    3. Beretta Cheetah 85
    4. Colt Mustang

JMHO, but having been through toddlers in the house with guns:
    I took my 4 or 5 yr old daughter to the range (after she asked about the gun), had her sit back by the car and fired 8 rounds of .45 in the a 4x4 target frame. An attention getter! on the way home, we talked about how the gun could hurt someone. I promised her that any time she wanted to see the gun, all she had to do was ask. I think she asked 3-4 times, I took the pistol down, ensured that it was clear and let her look at / handle it. That was the last I heard about it from her. The curiosity was satisfied, and she had a clear understanding of what it was, and what it did.
    Just food for thought.

Pete
    Sprinfield XD 4" .45 Compact
    Blackhawk SERPA

A 642!!! Easiest gun to operate!! Steve48

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links