Beavertail? me or gunsmith

This is a discussion on Beavertail? me or gunsmith within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok All Wise Ones, My question is this (with all its inevitable pitfalls..lol). My S.S. Full Size Springer GI model is biting/rubbing the crap out ...

Thread: Beavertail? me or gunsmith

Ok All Wise Ones,

My question is this (with all its inevitable pitfalls..lol). My S.S. Full Size Springer GI model is biting/rubbing the crap out of the web of my hand. No beavertail safety.
    Now after a few years of shooting it i believe i want one.
    Is this something i can do?
    also if while "I" am in there how about one of those fancy skeletonized hammers and cool trigger?
    ...Me or gunsmith? that is the question.

How do I proceed? call brownells or my gunsmith?
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Administrator

Brownell's

First thing to do is call Brownell's and get hard copy of their catalog.

It's extremely helpful.

Then you'll notice that depending on what grip safety style you like there will be a specific installation jig available for it.

You can't miss.
    You buy your desired Grip safety & the specific installation jig for it - remove the bulk of the excess frame metal on the grinder and then just simply file down to the hardened steel pieces until your file stops cutting - the file will then skate over the hardened steel fixture pieces and stop removing metal all by itself.
    Switch to a very fine/smooth cutting file as you get close to the jig pieces.
    Viola you are done!

Buy a Commander style hammer & sear combo that has the hammer sear faces already honed and and finished and you're done...right after a function check to make sure everything is A~OK.

If for instance you stick with all Ed Brown then you'll be sure that everything will mate.

There is no reason why you can't do it yourself.

Also if you say want to look at three different grip safties then buy all three as Brownell's does not charge a restocking fee on returns for unused catalog items. Just return the two that you're not using.

Oh & buy a small bottle of Touch Up blue because you'll want to re-darken the white filed metal area on the frame.
    Last edited by QKShooter; March 13th, 2007 at 09:45 AM.

Lightbulb blending

Ya know you can buy the jig to file down the frame to fit ,but then the blending to the frame to make it look nice is where the artistry of a compedent gunsmith comes into play. I just got my Kimber back from Johnny Lim who had to clean up the last gunsmith job. The first guy liked tinkering but was no smith.So it needed blending.I know its cosmetics because the gun function okay but ,,,,,,,,,well its your gun want it pretty or to look like a hack did it.
    Last edited by BILLYKALDRICH; March 13th, 2007 at 09:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Administrator

Thumbs up OK Here You Go

BlindHogg - CLICK HERE ON THIS LINK

Then click on which Beavertail you'll want to install.
    The "drop in" - The Wilson or the Ed Brown.

If you have any skill level at all AKA have done rudimentary & basic metal work before then I would go with the Brown or the Wilson.

CLICK HERE - This is the Blindhogg main page.
    Instructions for installing.
    ejector - extractor - thumb safety - plunger tube...etc.

You CAN do it!

solo, I believe I still have the Ed Brown BT jig in my tool box. You can do it with a Dremel tool and some 3M green pads. PM me if you want it, and I'll dig around tonight. I don't have any 1911s anymore, so..... Freebie, if interested.

Wilson drop in beavertail

I put a Wilson drop in beavertail grip safety on my Colt Defender. It was easy to do and I am happy with it. There is a slight clearance between the parts, but hardly enough to notice or cause a problem. Here is a picture of it.

Remember being a springfield the tang radius is different than a ed brown and ya cant use the ed brown tool

S&A or Smith and alexander (the long way to type it )

Make a beavertail to fit it and you need a .220 radius jig for springers

Administrator

Thumbs up Good catch Bud

Brownell's has the Springer jig also.
    And ditto also on the Smith & Alexander which is also very nice.
    Hey, cut me a break I'm a Colt Kool-Aide Guy.

Gunsmith

I'm probably the odd man out here, but I have no beavertail on my 1911. I have the Colt stainless 1991A1 that was made with the standard, narow grip safety. Because stainless replacements are a dime-a-dozen, I cut mine off to match the rear of the frame. To cure the hammer bite, I installed a spurless hammer, hated it, and cut and rounded off a stock hammer. There's no way to thumb cock it, and no reason to in my experience. I'm a better gunsmith than a computer operator, or I'd post a pic of it. It has a neat, don't see that everyday, factor that equals the fancy hammer designs. Added bebefit is that with my Titanium firing pin, hammer strut, and mainspring cap, locktime is super fast. Stainless means no annoying reblue job as an added benefit. If you're unsure of your ability, gunsmith wise, don't start off by cutting on your expensive frame at first. If you screw up, you can blame yourself and take a hit to your wallet. Any gunsmith worth trusting to do your work will be doing the repacement if they screw up. Same if you make it a full auto and shoot your house, foot, dog, etc. If you do have the knowledge and skills, and you're confident, go for it. Just be sure. Best luck.

I usually have my gunsmith do the work as I usually screw something up. Steve48

Sponsored Links