Ignorant Clerks and Shop Owners

This is a discussion on Ignorant Clerks and Shop Owners within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When Billy and I went shooting on Sunday the clerk asked to see what ammo we were going to use? I asked why and his ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ignorant Clerks and Shop Owners

Ignorant Clerks and Shop Owners

When Billy and I went shooting on Sunday the clerk asked to see what ammo we were going to use? I asked why and his response was no ammo in steel cases. Again, I asked why and his response was steel cased ammo damaged their traps. I replied not many handguns would throw brass 25 yards. The shop should worry more about ammo made of steel and steel cored bullets! Lastly, all I can say is: IDIOTS! Regards, Richard

2. Remove Ads

Haha, so he was calling steel cased ammo armor-piercing? That's great!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Steel core bullets, steel cased shell... what's the difference?
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Can range workers get anymore retarded? The range I go to won't allow lead shot shells, even though I've shot lead there before. They only allow steel shot now, which is more expensive. I'm sorry, but people have used lead for centuries.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    They want brass to reload/sell to reloaders. I've heard of ranges that prohibit you from collecting your spent brass too.

My range (outdoor) just asks that I pick up any non-brass casings.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    They want brass to reload/sell to reloaders. I've heard of ranges that prohibit you from collecting your spent brass too.
    Really? I haven't heard that before--I can't say I would frequent a range that prohibits me from picking up MY brass. I've already paid them for the use of the range...now they are taking my property? Wow...

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    Can range workers get anymore retarded? The range I go to won't allow lead shot shells, even though I've shot lead there before. They only allow steel shot now, which is more expensive. I'm sorry, but people have used lead for centuries.
    I've shot steel at an indoor range (as required)--only to have some of the pellets come back and hit me in the face. No damage--didn't break skin, but it sure stung! I let the range know--they didn't care, they didn't want to deal with the lead pellets.

Absolutely, they want your brass to sell or reload. Steve48

I ordered a new gun through a FFL dealer (S&W 910S w/Hi-Viz sights). When I went to pick it up, I told the clerk that it didn't have Hi-Viz sights (Hi-Viz is a name brand, ya know). He took it over to another guy who cupped his hands over the sights(regular white-dot sights) and said yeah they are night sights. I didn't bother argueing with them. I didn't want to educate people who are supposed to be educated about guns.I wanted the gun and bought it, anyway.

People who work in gun stores don't necessarily know anything about guns, any more than a person who works at a gas station knows anything about gas.
    The early-bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    hhah thats funny..

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    The range near my house only lets you shoot their ammo, and it is all steel or aluminum cased junk. I don't shoot there anymore now that I have my own private range at home. The only thing I go there for anymore is to transfer the occasional Class III item. They are one of only two dealers I know of in my area that'll do Class III. Other than that I find the attendants there to be boorish mall ninjas.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Ohhhhh DONT get me started. I was at the Ft Worth Cabela's store yesterday and got so pissed I about blew up. Some clerk was telling this 75 or so lil old lady that her cop grand son was wrong that she didnt need a 38 revolver for a home defense gun, but that she needed a Remmington 1100 shotgun to protect her castle.

I got so pissed I finally stepped in and asked for his credentials to make that statement and laid my credentials out and let the lady know that he was full of **** and just trying to sell her something that cost twice as much.

NOTHING pisses me off more than a sales clerk that is more interested in selling a high priced weapon that does not fit the bill for a specific persons defense weapon. This ass was trying to sell her a gun with a weapon light and side saddle shell holder and the couldnt even shoulder it or reach the safety.

I wrote a email to the manager but we all know how that will come out.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Really? I haven't heard that before--I can't say I would frequent a range that prohibits me from picking up MY brass. I've already paid them for the use of the range...now they are taking my property? Wow...
    A range like that would be right at home here in south Florida.

The Palm Beach County ranges all got together to forbid any outside ammunition or targets.

When I pressed one range for the reason, the counter guy showed me a shot-up backstop plate section. He said the range had been damaged by people shooting steel-core ("armor-piercing") ammunition despite the prohibition on doing so.

So the range passed the rule that you have to buy your ammo from them. The prices are outrageous, of course. (The range fee is not cheap, either, and they don't even run the air conditioning in the range!)

Now, they also stipulate that your gear is subject to being searched prior to your entering the range. So, if the reason for them forcing you to buy their ammo (at inflated prices) is to make sure you don't shoot steel-core ammo into their newly repaired backstop, AND they have a search policy, why the need for the outside-ammo prohibition? They can just search your ammo and forbid you to bring anything that's not approved into the range! This makes it obvious that they came up with a b.s. reason, so that they could reap the profits on their ammo sales.

Gun people lying to and screwing over gun people. That's the "south Florida PBC gun-range way."

I went into a gun shop to buy a new Colt Gov't. and the clerk just laughed. "Why would you want that, those are the guns that keep gunsmiths employed. How 'bout a Kimber?" Well, of course he was going to try and sell me a Kimber. They're a master dealer and need to get that inventory moving. I'm not about to start a "Which 1911 is better? debate" but "To each his own. How y'all spend your hard earned money is your business." The same should go for me. So after looking through the shop for a bit he asked, "Is this for concealed carry?" I said no, and he said "good.' I don't recommend IWB carry. He then follows up by saying, "You should get one of these Undershirt Holsters." I look at him thinking "What the heck is he talking about." Not only did I not ask for his opinion but this Gun-Store Commando is going to tell me not to carry IWB. Needless to say I spent not one cent at that store. Luckily ther're a lot of other options for gun purchases in my area. As I was geting ready to leave the store he (Gun store Commando) says, "Why don't you take a look at these new S&W J-Frame Snubbies?" "It's what all of us here at the store use." All I said was, "Already Have one." Like I'm supposed to jump at that and say, "Really, then I must need one too." I tell ya, "Some of them boys just ain't right,....uh hu....yup......mm hmmm."
    Last edited by COWBOYF550; March 13th, 2007 at 03:18 PM.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffkirchner View Post
    I ordered a new gun through a FFL dealer (S&W 910S w/Hi-Viz sights). When I went to pick it up, I told the clerk that it didn't have Hi-Viz sights (Hi-Viz is a name brand, ya know). He took it over to another guy who cupped his hands over the sights(regular white-dot sights) and said yeah they are night sights. I didn't bother argueing with them. I didn't want to educate people who are supposed to be educated about guns.I wanted the gun and bought it, anyway.

You what?!

You got lied to by two people who really ought to know better, and you rewarded them by making a purchase worth hundreds of dollars?

How can you complain that they might keep doing business that way, screwing people over and lying to them?

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    You what?!

You got lied to by two people who really ought to know better, and you rewarded them by making a purchase worth hundreds of dollars?

How can you complain that they might keep doing business that way, screwing people over and lying to them?
    Their gun prices are the lowest (generally by about $60 on a $500 gun) within a 40 mile radius, and they have the only indoor range (which I've been using for 3 years).

I wasn't complaining; just communicating an experience that I had.
    The early-bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links