Pocket Carry Gun??

Pocket Carry Gun??

This is a discussion on Pocket Carry Gun?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a small pistol that i could put in a pocket holster for carry in the summer time that would go in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Carry Gun??

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar

Pocket Carry Gun??

I am looking for a small pistol that i could put in a pocket holster for carry in the summer time that would go in a pair of gym shorts pocket or something similiar that a belt will not be on... so it has to be something light and small to fit and not drag the shorts to the ground.. any ideas

Sounds like a Kel-Tec p3at to me. Anyone else?
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

I dealt with the same thing last summer. After buying a Kahr P9 , I decided that it was too big and got a P3AT. I am very happy with it.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    The Kel-Tec P-32 & P3AT a good choices. They're both about a 1/2 lb (Unloaded). Of the 2, I'd opt for the .380.

I know I've always said that balistically, the .32, .380, & .38 (Out of a sub-2" barrel) are pretty close, the 2 Kel-Tec's are pretty close in size & weight, too.

The two Seecamp's are very nice, too.

Here's their approximate weight empty/loaded: Kel-Tec P-32=7.8/10.0 oz.
    P-3AT=8.3/11.0 oz. Seecamp LWS32=11.5/13.0 oz. LWS38=11.5/14.0 oz.

The Kel-Tec's are less expensive & feel like it. They also have polymere frames, which could be better for the summer. The Seecamp are very nicely built SS.

The NAA's are nice too, but they weight more.

If Kalifornia allowed it, I'd have a P-3AT.

Good luck!
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

My advice is don't go the small pocket gun route! I would slightly change the way I dress and carry a larger gun. I regularly wear short pants in the summer with a belt and looses T shirt. That easily allows me to carry a Glock 26 IWB. Thats a lot more gun and capacity than any .32 or .380 pocket gun. I'm also very active, hiking, riding a bike etc. and the G26 is never a problem. I like to consider "what is the bigest gun I can carry if I ever needit in a gunfight?"

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I agree with you "Falsemap", but sometimes you just have to pocket carry.

Personally, I have a kahr PM9 for pocket carry. I had a G-26 for IWB & it's a great gun, too!
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    +1000 on the Kel-Tec P3AT. I got mine about a month ago, and I haven't gone anywhere without it since. It's awesome!
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Kel-Tec 32 w/Armalaser and 10 round magazine.

Michael
    America. The land of the free because of the brave.

me
    Kel-tec fan here as well.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I carried a .38 derringer for years until I bought a P-3AT a few years ago and both will get the job done. The P-3AT is about the biggest bang for the size gun you'll probably find these days and the price is reasonable as well. You can get a larger caliber bullet into a similar size gun by going to a derringer, but you limit yourself to only two shots.

I know many people down play derringers and there are a few well known gun "experts" who have said they would never own a derringer under any circumstances. Still, I've had mine for close to 20 years and it's as simple a design as you can get, but still works when I need it to and it fits into the palm of my hand. FWIW, I know a retired TX ranger who said to me just a few months ago that his BUG for many years (and was popular with a lot of other rangers in the 50's, 60's, and 70's) was a derringer in .38spl or .45 LC.
    Last edited by rachilders; March 13th, 2007 at 03:06 PM.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I have a situation where I have to leave my gun in my truck while at work. If I need to stop somewhere after work I would like a gun with me.

I wear a uniform that I can't use an IWB holster because I'm not allowed to be in uniform with my shirt untucked.

So I bought a Bersa .380 as a pocket gun. In fact, I'm at home now with it in my pocket in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. I'm BBQing and have the back door open so it's nice to have something just in case.

You can see my Bersa .380 in my avitar.

I know people say a .380 is too small a caliber to have but in my situation a gun in my pocket is better then one in the truck.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

I doubt that there's a reasonable self defense gun that's light enough to carry in the pockets of gym shorts.
    The early-bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Kimber EDC Fan Here...

But my KT P-3AT is a great once in a while carry...for those 'shorts in the backyard moments'...

It's only 80' right now and I'm headed out to the backyard...with my .380 in a Fist kydex pocket holster...hardley know it's there...

Great little gun, I've had mine for over four years (gen 1) and have never had difficulty with it...but not a fun gun for the range...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I think the point I was making was that if I allow myself to carry a small pocket auto in .32 or .380 thinking "well it's better than nothing" I won't push myself to carry something bigger, even though it is actually just a small sacrifice in clothing or the weight of the bigger gun. I have yet to find a situation in which I couldn't carry a Glock 26 or 27 and I've been carrying everewhere for 3 + years.

My pocket carry is a Keltec P32. I've shot the P3AT as well and would feel okay with either of them. The P3AT launches a bigger rock, but I can follow up shot with the P32 much much faster. A 3:1 ratio imo. I also have a 10 rd extended magazine for the P32 and it still fits in my pockets with no printing. The recoil is so small, that I can empty a 10 round magazine into the "torso" of a human target at 5 yards in about 2 seconds with decent grouping.

Now granted, I've been in a situation where all I had was the P32 and I was glad I had it, but I really wished I had my 1911. However, I have to really conceal when I'm at work, so pocket carry is the only way. YMMV.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links