Defensive Carry banner

I am faced with a dilemma

1K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  clarkston_cz 
#1 ·
I am faced with a dilemma, I want something I haven’t owned since 1990. What is that? I want a “Plain Jane” 1911A1 Government 45acp to play with or a Dan Wesson Pointman Series 1911 45acp. I have several options to choose from. First, buy a Springfield GI and a used CZ82. Second, buy a Kahr Auto Ordnance 1911 Government and a used CZ82. Third, buy a Rock Island Armory Government and a used CZ82. Lastly is to find a nice Dan Wesson Pointman 45acp. All advice is welcome. Regards, Richard :embarassed:

#9 ·
I like my High Standard. I was looking for pretty much the same thing as the OP - a no-frills GI 1911A1, and found a HS at a local shop for $350. It's my first 1911, so I'm far from a guru, but after the horror stories I've heard about cheapo 1911's, I was very impressed with the overall fit and smoothness of the action and the crisp trigger, and after disassembling it, I couldn't find a single rough spot or burr anywhere on the gun. I'll be doing something about that dagblasted grip safety cutting into my thumb, but otherwise, I love it.

I also did some research before commiting to the purchase. Everywhere I looked had good things to say about the HS, and almost everyone recommended it as a good solid choice for someone wanting a budget GI 1911.

#7 ·
Springfield GI and the CZ82 would probably offer the biggest value of what you've listed. I still shy away from Auto Ord due their history of shoddy QC, though that may have improved in recent years. Don't personally know that much about RIA but of the reports I've read, the Pointman series seems to be a crowd pleaser.
Jack

#8 ·
Go Here and research all 1911's you're interested in, then decide which one still holds your interest.

#10 ·
I bought the RIA and CZ82 9x18 Mak. They came yesterday and this is what I have to say about them.

My first impression of the RIA 1911A1 is it is one hell of a gun for the price. Fit seems to be top shelf. Mine is used and it received a two tone Duracoat Finish from Mike Adams Customs. The Duracoat is even and very attractive. The pistol is tight with no side to side slide movement. This pistol is also soft, it feels like it had a carry bevel. The trigger is good with no slack but its pull is a little heavy for my tastes. The magazine that came with the pistol did not operate the slide stop but other magazines do. The irony is that the magazine that came with the pistol seems to work perfectly in my Springer Mil-Spec.

The exterior of the CZ82 9x18 Makarov is less than perfect but the interior is like new. The only negative I can see is what appears to be a lack of rifling. I plan to shoot it first before I gripe. This pistol is a good choice for lefties as the safety and magazine release are ambidextrous. I can also say the trigger appears to be good and the pistol feels great in my size 12 hands.

I have a full plate for today or I would be at the range with the RIA 1911A1 and the CZ82 9x18 Makarov. More information will follow shortly.

Regards,

Richard :embarassed:

#11 ·
I lost my interest in firing "plain Jane" 1911's when I was a kid shooting one from WWII that someone brought home.

The useless sights, non-throated barrel or flared ejection port just doesn't do it for me. If I wanted an inexspensive "plain Jane" 1911 I would take a long hard look at the Taurus PT 1911. To me it has everything I want in a 1911 and nothing I don't.

I got to play with one yesterday at the local gun emporium and was quite impressed. I will have to wait, but it's on my very short list. If I had to have a parkerized mil-spec 1911 I would go with the Springfield, but that's just me.

Biker :tumbleweed:

#12 ·
Unless thing have changed dramatically I would stay far away from Auto Ordnance. I had the opportunity to examine one very carefully while working at a gun shop and it was a POS. It may be possible to turn it into a good weapon with some work, but out of the box it was not impressive at all.

Springers are the only other plain jane 1911 I have examined closely and they're good guns for the money. I've heard of the High Standards and they seem to get good reviews, but I haven't seen one yet. For the difference in price, my money would be on the proven quality of a Springfield. They have forged frames and slides which are the most important components in a pistol in that price range. You can take a GI and have it turned into a full house custom if you want, it would be just as good as any Wilson or Ed Brown. I'm not sure if the same could be said for a RIA or High Standard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.