XD Sub - aiming issue

XD Sub - aiming issue

This is a discussion on XD Sub - aiming issue within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, and have spent the past several days just reading many of the threads. Based on the array of ...

XD Sub - aiming issue

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, and have spent the past several days just reading many of the threads. Based on the array of knowledge many of you have, I thought that I would inquire for some help.
    I purchased an XD subcompact in 9mm for my CCW about a month ago. I have been to the range 3 times with it, firing around 500 rounds total. Everything is working great as far as the operation of the firearm, but I am having a hard time with my patterns. My other pistol is a Ruger P95. I am spot on with it. Tight groups, COM. When I fire the XD sub, I am consistantly a little low and left of center at 7m. My groups aren't really tight either. I think that it's in how I am handling the trigger, and additional recoil.
    Any advise would certainly be appreciated. I bought the XD with the intention of it being my primary weapon, but I am not satisfied with my efficiency with it to this point. Is any one else having similar issues?

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Sounds like you're anticipating the recoil & pushing it alittle. The sub compact guns have more recoil than full size guns, but I think if you ran alot of rounds through it at one visit to the range, concentrating on surprising yourself as you pull the trigger vs anticipating, you'll probably fix it yourself.

That, or maybe take a tactical pistol class. That's really improve your shooting.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

If you've never tried this, here's a decent exercise to find out if your anticipating recoil and pushing the gun. Get some snap-caps and have someone else load your mags so you don't know when the "dud" will come up. You'll know right away if you're pushing the gun.

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    i find these to be useful to help me you can print them and shoot at em so you can tell what you are doing http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum...p?TOPIC_ID=312

Lead Moderator
    some dryfire pratice may help as well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have the same gun and after about 10 yards, I loose it too.
    It just takes practice.
    Try firing with the tip of you finger and/or hold your breath when you fire.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar

Wink

Sounds like too much finger on the trigger , plus the recoil and
    small grip.

Practice - practice- practice.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Administrator
    Yup, its the gun. Sell it right away.

J/K... dry fire and dry fire some more.
    "Just blame Sixto"

[QUOTE=JID;317824] When I fire the XD sub, I am consistantly a little low and left of center QUOTE]

Welcome to the Forum, JID!

I was in the same exact boat as you when I bought my XD9sc. (I'd concentrate on sight allignment and go: "What the heck?")

As many have said - and I'll echo 'cause it's helped me - dryfire practice combined with more range time should help.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Welcome to the board!

I will second the suggestion on the snap caps and having someone else load the mags so you don't know when it isn't going to go bang.

There are also some diagnostic targets out there for sale that can help determine why you are hitting where you are hitting. Do a search on diagnostic targets and you'll find some out there.

My wife carries an XD .40sc that I used to carry until she claimed it for her own and told me to go get something else. I really liked the gun but I always thought it felt a bit too think for some reason. Now I carry a Glock 23, and after measuring them, they are nearly identical in thickness. So, i am sure it was just me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Mike do your magic!!!!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    some dryfire pratice may help as well.
    Roger that, put a dime on the slide behind the front sight and pull through without dropping the dime on the floor....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Thanks for the help guys. I will post again later once I have gotten better control of things. It's good to hear that it's not just me. I have always prided myself on being a good, consistant shot with whatever I am firing. This low/left pattern has really bothered me. I believe in lots of practice, but have not spent much time dry firing. I was always taught not to dry fire due to the risk of damaging the firearm; but it seems that manufacturers have now overcome that issue. Thanks again.

I had the same issue with mine and it just took a little practice. Now Im hitting things at 25 yards. Something I thought Id never do with a sub. Good luck with yours Im sure youll get used to it.

Sixgun

Links