Sig 239/ G23

Sig 239/ G23

This is a discussion on Sig 239/ G23 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone who owns both of these weapons give me a size comparison? Is the Sig 239 in 9mm that much slimmer than the G23? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig 239/ G23

Sig 239/ G23

Can anyone who owns both of these weapons give me a size comparison? Is the Sig 239 in 9mm that much slimmer than the G23? I believe that the barrel lengths are close, but I am more concerned with the width for IWB carry. The G23 fits IWB nicely, but hot weather is coming and I was wondering if the Sig 239 would be a good idea for warm weather carry.

Thanks.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Administrator
    Yeah, it is a little slimmer, single stack vs. double.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I don't think the P239 would gain anything for you...

I own a Glock 23 and have handled the P239. The important measurement for IWB carry is the width of the slide, from flat to flat. That is the part that goes inside your pants. The grip sits above the belt, so its thickness is not as critical.

I have carefully measured my G23 and the slide is almost exactly 1.0 inches from flat to flat. I don't believe that the P239 is less than 1.0 inch, and may be slightly more. Sigs in general are not thin guns, although the P239 is probably the thinnest of the 9mm and larger Sigs.

If you want a semiauto with thinner slide than the G23, your best bets are a 1911 (which has a 0.90 inch slide thickness), a Browning Hi Power, a 9mm Kahr or a Walther PPK in .380. The PPK is really thin, about 0.80 inches across the slide. Some aluminum framed S&W 9mm autos are also thin - my old model 39 is 0.90 inches thick in the slide, just like a 1911.

Administrator
    Its not much thinner, but it is a little. I agree with pogo, you wont be gaining a much both in thickness and weight.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I own both the G23 and the Sig P239 in 9mm so I just went upstairs and pulled the P239 out of the safe and pulled the G23 off my hip and snapped some pics for you. Here they are.

First, a side by side shot...

Next, a shot that shows them from behind and slightly above, notice that both guns are almost exactly the same thickness in the slide area.

A grip comparison...

A shot from above, notice that the Sig looks shorter but in reality it isn't. If you measure from the hammer to the muzzle, the Sig is within 1/16 of an inch of being as long as the Glock.

The magazine wells of both guns. Both grips measure the same from side to side but, the Sig is a single stack and the Glock is double...

And, a comparison of the muzzles...

Nest I will post a couple with a ruler to show the actual measurements...
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Now the pics that show real measurements...

First, the pics of the mag wells / grip areas. Now, I know these are far from scientific and admittedly not real good pictures but, they will give you an idea. The Sig has a Houge grip on it which may make it just a bit fatter than the original grip, but not by much at all. The Glock grip is just a bit thicker from side to side.

Glock first...

Then Sig...

Now, a look at the slides from the top....

Glock first....

Then the Sig...

Now, the over all length of the guns. I measured from the muzzle to the part of each gun that stuck the furthest out on the rear. On the Glock it was the frame right above the grip, (beaver tail area) and on the Sig it was the hammer which was slightly further back than the beaver tail area of the grip/frame.

Glock first...

Then the Sig...

So, you can see, both guns are very, very similar. So the only real difference is how each feels in your hand and the caliber. Well, that and the fact that the Sig holds 8 in the magazine and the Glock holds 13. As for myself, I carry the Glock as my primary gun because I would rather have 13 rounds of .40 than 8 rounds of 9mm in the same sized gun.

Also, the Glock sits lower in my hand and as a result my wrist is more in line with the bore axis so the Glock actually feels like it has less felt recoil than the Sig. The Sig sits a good bit higher in the hand and has more muzzle flip even though it is only a 9mm.
    And, the grip angle of the Glock tends to do a better job of "locking" my wrist when I fire it. This makes me more accurate with the Glock than the Sig. And, from shooting them both supported on a sandbag, the Glock tends to be more inherently accurate.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by TN_Mike; March 14th, 2007 at 10:12 PM.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    Wow, Mike went all out on this one... Thanks.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    In all reality, there isnt much true difference between them. The one thing about the 239 I have never understood is that its not much smaller than a 229 yet you loose a chunk of ammo. Given the choice of the G23, Sig 239 or Sig 229, I'd take the Glock hands down.

Oh and that comes from a guy who puts between 1000 and 1500 rounds a month through a Sig 229.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Wow, Mike went all out on this one... Thanks.
    No problemo. Took all of about 5 or 10 minutes. And I got to fondle some of my guns. Always looking for an excuse to do that.

,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Well Mike you are the MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by aimhigh View Post
    Well Mike you are the MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Really?

Is it because I own a G23 and a P239 in 9mm or because I took pictures of them both for this thread?

Is that all it takes to be the man?? Wow...had I known all this, I could have been the man years ago.

Just kidding. Thanks.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    Really?

Is it because I own a G23 and a P239 in 9mm or because I took pictures of them both for this thread?
    Nope, it's hitting 1K posts of useful information.

Well you did me a big favor!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I got a 239 40 cal and also a XD 40 cal.......
    used to have a glock 19 and a 23 ....
    and you answered a lot of my questions....before I had to ask...
    and YES YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Nope, it's hitting 1K posts of useful information.
    Hey, I hadn't even noticed but you are right. I am over 1000 posts and I just got my 5th star.

Darn, wish I had been paying a bit more attention. That would have been nice to see.
    And I don't know if all of them have been full of useful info. Some may have been down right dumb...silly even. I'm like that. Just when you think I am pretty smart, I say something that makes you wonder if I just stroked out for a second or two.

Well you did me a big favor!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I got a 239 40 cal and also a XD 40 cal.......
    used to have a glock 19 and a 23 ....
    and you answered a lot of my questions....before I had to ask...
    and YES YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
    Glad I could be a help.
    Last edited by TN_Mike; March 14th, 2007 at 10:31 PM. Reason: typo
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Wow, I expected a few comments but Mike went above and beyond. That was a very detailed and informative post. Thank you.

I will cross the Sig off of my list. I was also considering a S&W CS9, but I already got my answers on that one from a previous thread.

As the warmer weather approaches I must set a day aside and try out some single stack, thin semi-autos at a range that rents guns.

I owned a Kahr MK9 but got rid of it due to an odd malfunction. 450th round fired but the shell casing got stuck in the ejection port and was very difficult to clear. Somehow it wound up backwards and wedged onto the frame in the ejection port. Slide would not rack and mag would not drop. I had to hold the slide to the rear and pry the casing off on the rest in front of me.

Thanks again to all.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links