Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact

This is a discussion on Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is anyone familiar with the Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact. I was looking for a Kel-Tec PF-9 and they are impossible to get! So I ...

Is anyone familiar with the Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact. I was looking for a Kel-Tec PF-9 and they are impossible to get! So I am looking for a substitute. Is the Bersa a good gun or a piece of junk? I would appreciate any inputs. Thanks.

Bob

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    The Bersa's probably a fine gun. I can't comment on their reliability, but considering all the positive comments I've heard, it's "probably" good.

But they're a world apart in terms of size & weight. The Kel-Tec, pretty much any of them, are approx. an inch shorter & less than half the weight.

I'm assuming you're looking for a small 9mm that's inexpensive too. What about Kel-Tec's P-11? It's been around quite abit longer & is still much more compact than the Bersa.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I believe that clips are hard to come by also.
    I Dont own one "yet" but that is something i have been told.

Thanks cockedlocked01 for the info!

I had my heart set on getting a PF-9 after seeing one at a Tampa gun show! I am annoyed at Kel-Tec right now because I have been trying to get a PF-9 since September 2006. Every time I call Kel-Tec they tell me to be patient for they are on back order.

A fine gun for the person who doesn't want to spend a lot of money on a carry gun. Steve48

Assistant Administrator
    I bought one from dr_cmg who's wife found it not sufficiently ideal for her. I sure didn't need another gun but hey - fancied it so - got it!!

I would certainly consider it for carry if I wasn't totally EDC with my 226 - it is a good gun in the hand for me, and so far reliable. Like other Bersa's the safety/decocking lever is somewhat stiff but no biggie for me and it will ease over time - and can in fact be eased with a modicum of work too.

Overall I think it is a good value gun.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

me
    I had been wondering about the Bersa 9mm but I am not looking at it yet. This would be well down the road but I am interested in what others have to say.

A guy at the range on Friday had a PF9 that happened to fall into his hands at a gun shop. Small gun looks nice but not what I would want.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by bkuz View Post
    Is anyone familiar with the Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact. I was looking for a Kel-Tec PF-9 and they are impossible to get! So I am looking for a substitute. Is the Bersa a good gun or a piece of junk? I would appreciate any inputs. Thanks.

Bob
    Kel-Tec PF-9
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=67687860

Well here's my take:

I had my money all saved for a KT PF-9. They were released and it had more problems than Britney Spears. I love KelTec's ( I have a P11 & P32), but KT does have a history of making customers non-volunteer "beta testers" for their new firearms. Additionally after looking at photos, and reading posts from owners it seems the PF9 is basically a single stack P11, with a P3AT trigger setup. My P11 works just fine, is very small, and offers at least 10+1 capacity.. Mo rounds is better to my way of thinking. Plus the P11 is historically reliable and I'm not trading my dependable P11 for a problemmatic new model with less capacity.

As to the Bersa Thunder 9/Ultra Compact.

I don't think Bersa/Firestorm makes junk period. For a time Llama produced some "Bersa" 1911 type 45cal pistols in Spain but they did NOT have a good reputation for quality, and Llama went bankrupt last year so that problem is gone. Other than those Llamas I think all Bersa/Firestorms are fantastic pistol values, with the exception of the pricy expense of extra magazines..

I've read where the Bersa Thunder 9 series was designed around the excellent, very expensive, Walther P88. The Walther P99 is arguably one of the best 9mm pistols ever made. My BT9/UC is extremely accurate, and 100% reliable. I would recommend it without hesitation. I must add it is considerably "bulkier" than my P11, and less conducive to cc, but with the 13rd factory mag makes for a darn good home, vehicle weapon.

The BT9/UC is IMO a bit too large for serious cc, but it's a fine pistol, and priced very reasonably, with a lifetime warranty.

Walther has a new slim 9, the PPS, but it's pricy, not yet on the market, and U G L Y. It looks like a Glock got in the kennel with a Walther.

If I were offered a PF-9 or P11 I'd take the P11. If the PF-9 had been produced first every KT lover in the world would be clammering for a "higher capacity" PF-9..... Cut out the middleman and check out the P11.. It's small too..

Hope this helps,

J. Pomeroy

Wow, I REALLY like that Bersa! How's it compare to the Bersa .380 ... or the Glock 19? With a G19 on the way I'm not sure if the Bersa would be any more concealable for deep concealment needs or if I'd be replicating the same package size. Definitely wouldn't mind picking one of those up though if the price was right.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Wow, I REALLY like that Bersa! How's it compare to the Bersa .380 ... or the Glock 19? With a G19 on the way I'm not sure if the Bersa would be any more concealable for deep concealment needs or if I'd be replicating the same package size. Definitely wouldn't mind picking one of those up though if the price was right.
    Jack

As I mentioned earlier the Bersa Thunder 9/Ultra Compact is imo too large for reasonable cc... I didn't it buy it for that purpose, so it wasn't a problem for me, but if you are looking for "deep concealment" look elsewhere. As to the price, I only paid $305+tax for mine a year ago. Using iron sights my Bersa is as accurate as my Sig P239, and that's saying a lot.

I think the BT380 is too large for deep concealment too, even the cc version.. You just about have to go to KelTec, Seecamp, or NAA to really get down to the real mini's. I have the Firestorm FS22, in the same platform as the BT380, and while it slips in the back pocket pretty easily, and imo is a very nice pistol, it's really not best for deep concealment.

I have the NAA 32cal. Guardian and the KelTec P32 and both are imo excellent little pistols. I don't think the 32cal round is in my top 10 list of calibers for self defense, but you have to put the biggest round possible in the smallest platform you have available, and that's the 32cal... (Or 380cal for the P3AT). For my tastes the recoil of the 380 is simply too much for the small KT's, and the P32 has a history of reliability that the larger P3AT's don't.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

if you are looking for a pf9 then i would look at the p11. the p11 has been kel tec work horse and is hard to beat. kel tec is now getting the new and improved pf9 out to the stores. and you should see them in your area soon. but the p11 is hard to beat.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I have to agree with Laserlips........Bersa/Firestorm doesn't may any. But just like anything else it's psoobile to get a lemon off the assembly line. I have been carry a Bersa for about 5 years now. I just picked up a .40 S&W about a month and 1/2. It's basically the same as the 9mm. Very comfortable to carry. Its about 25oz to 27oz with the clip. I also had some really good groupings at the range with it. Again I highly recommend Bersa/Firestorm.
    Like that Bersa

Chris...

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I bought one from dr_cmg who's wife found it not sufficiently ideal for her. I sure didn't need another gun but hey - fancied it so - got it!!

I would certainly consider it for carry if I wasn't totally EDC with my 226 - it is a good gun in the hand for me, and so far reliable. Like other Bersa's the safety/decocking lever is somewhat stiff but no biggie for me and it will ease over time - and can in fact be eased with a modicum of work too.

Overall I think it is a good value gun.

I gotta' ask...is there a gun you don't have (with pic's?)...you seem to have even the rare ones...you must have huge private gun room...

Nice stuff though...

Ken
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links