Shiny Guns?

Shiny Guns?

This is a discussion on Shiny Guns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think I have convinced myself that a shiny gun is a benefit in most self defense situations. Prior to an encounter with a couple ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shiny Guns?

Shiny Guns?

I think I have convinced myself that a shiny gun is a benefit in most self defense situations. Prior to an encounter with a couple of gang bangers, who were interested in acquiring my hard earned money, I always thought the "tactical" colored gun was so much better.

When confronted by the thugs, I found it was very difficult for the bad guys to realize that I was actually armed because they couldn't see the olive drab colored gun in the dark. Once they realized I was armed, off they went into the night.

If I would have had a brightly polished gun, I'm sure the encounter would have broken off much sooner. I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks.

The olive drab color would be great if I was involved with covert ops, but that isn't the case at my age!

whw

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    That's one way of looking at it. However, darker colored handguns usually allows for better conceal carry. Shiny object tend to be seen easily & that generally not the goal.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Shiney generally means stainless generally means Heavier. I want something that functions vs. having something that goes Bling bling.

I agree with Cocked i have open carried with a black gun and people just miss it think its a cell phone or pager. With a bling bling people would more often notice even if it was just a lift of the shirt. How do you think Kevin Costner did it to Frank Niddy in "Untoachables" JK

If you want something a little more distinguishable and with the O **** factor Get a Crimison trace grips or a Laser Max, or a light.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I think a simple statement like, "I have an gun! One more step and I'll......" would solve the situation. You fill in the blank. The vast majority of the time you don't want the gun noticed so darker is probably better in most cases but I don't have a firm opinion one way or the other.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

The BG wont have a hard time seeing the muzzle flash of my Glock. I wont pull my weapon to threaten people with. I will only pull it out to shoot at a deadly threat with. Color will not make any difference. A reliable gun is all I want.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

I Was Just Thinking The Exact Same Thing...

Quote Originally Posted by falkon View Post
    The BG wont have a hard time seeing the muzzle flash of my Glock. I wont pull my weapon to threaten people with. I will only pull it out to shoot at a deadly threat with. Color will not make any difference. A reliable gun is all I want.
    The muzzle flash would be EASILY seen...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would also say that there are reasons that most guns designed for CCW are dark colors. Those reasons are being brought up here.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

I like my shiny Para P12, its dropping it and the fear of screwing up that shine is what gets me...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I like my Para P16 too. Great for IDPA.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whw View Post
    I think I have convinced myself that a shiny gun is a benefit in most self defense situations.
    No need to convince yourself. "most self defense situations" make it a moot point to consider the color of your weapon. I'm not going to hold it out just for the BG to have a look see at. If it's drawn, it's for one reason.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO its a non issue , Shiney guns are nice for LE since the VCA can see that he is at gunpoint , and as a LE you show guns a lot more than you shoot guns . As a ccw holder i wont be holding anyone at gunpoint and ordering compliance ,. If they run away fine and if they lay there an leak fine, but if they dont want shot they best be in reverse when they see me reach for the grip .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I agree with what has been voiced. I don't carry a concealed weapon as a deterrent; I carry it as a means and tool in the preservation of my family's and my own lives. Voicing my intent in regards to the BG's actions should be the deterrent.

Thumbs down Shihhy guns

I don't think that a shinny gun makes any difference. Shinny guns are nice looking but tend to get beat up in a hurry. A dull colored gun is an asset to someone carrying CCW due to the fact that it blends in.

If the price is right and it is a 1911 I don't care what color it is. I have 3 stainless and a couple of black pistols and a couple of green ones and one blue one. As long as they go bang when I pull the trigger and the threat dissapears thats all that matters.

About half of my carry guns are shinny (SS) and half are not. I'm not to worried about the color of the gun.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links