New Smith 442

This is a discussion on New Smith 442 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Finally got my new J-frame...been overseas for a few months, so the shop was holding it for me. Just got back, picked up the gun, ...

Thread: New Smith 442

New Smith 442

Finally got my new J-frame...been overseas for a few months, so the shop was holding it for me. Just got back, picked up the gun, and headed to the range. Only got to put 50 rounds through it; didn't really know what to expect, as I've shot *very* few snubnoses before.

Found that with the winchester white box 130g standard .38 loads, the recoil was pretty negligable, as far as bruising/hurting the hand...however, it was a bear to control the muzzle flip. It really wants to jump up, and the little grips make that kind of hard to deal with.

I'm using a fairly standard grip, but I am finding that wrapping my weak hand a little around the front of the trigger guard and applying a lot of counterpressure on the weak side (under the cylinder) is helping steady the gun during the trigger pull. I just can't find a way to bear down on the gun and keep the muzzle from whipping way up.

I think I just need a little more time to get comfy with it and finish breaking in the trigger. It's smoothed out after a lot of dry firing, but it's not done yet. I literally had enough range time to fire off 50 rounds in rapid succession, so I haven't been able to take my time and experiment yet. I also need to get used to having just 5 rounds...been shooting high-cap 9mm autos my whole shooting life.

All I need now is some more time and some good self-defense ammo...and my new holster(s). Have a tucker IWB on the way (cover-up J-frame model) and am looking for a pocket (Mika?) and a really high-ride OWB (Kramer, probably) as well. Oh, and a few speed strips and maybe a speedloader...

Cool little gun!! Excited to have it.

AX

2. Remove Ads

Great choice, I have a 638, 637, 640 and I just acquired a 442 myself. You can't beat a J-frame for concealment to firepower ratio.
    If we treat every gun as if it was loaded, then why not treat every individual as if they are armed.

Yup, J Frame marksmanship is really a skill that takes practice! In my case I wasn't really satisfied until I'd put 450 or so rounds down range. So different from my 1911!!!!

Some people say you just can't get good accuracy with a snub but I find that to be untrue. You can but it takes some serious practice to achieve and maintain.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

The furthest shot that I have made with a J-frame was out at about 60 +/- yards. I was shooting at 8" pie plates and I was hitting about 3 out of 5 with a scandium hammerless 38, I forget the model # but S&W discontinued them.
    If we treat every gun as if it was loaded, then why not treat every individual as if they are armed.

Welcome back stateside and congrats on the J-frame!

J-Frames are harder to shoot well, and in my opinion, are really an "Expert's" weapon.

I'm not an "Expert" but I do carry a J-Frame. I would suggest a LOT of trigger time to get used to the weapon. I would work my way up to the "Defensive Loads" and start with the practice non +P stuff first. Take care and stay safe.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Congrats....that is my most recommended gun to anyone purchasing their first concealed pistol. A buddy of mine is picking one up next week. I will only make three recomendations.

1. Seriously consider a set of Crimson Trace Laser Grips. Snubbies are prob the one weapon that the laser grips work best with as in stress situations its very easy to punch and shoot.
    2. Get a high quality ankle rig. You'll be suprised how easy they are to carry. I use a Renegade rig for the past number of years (about 14 or 15) and it workes wonderfully.
    3. Practice EVERY reload with a speedloader or speed strip. It simply enforces into your brain and if (when) you ever need to do it in real life that will help ya (I'm sure you've heard the phrase "Train as you fight.....cause you'll fight as you train").

Good luck and have fun.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Assistant Administrator
    fed's comments are good and I agree.

I do think tho yes - ''j frame'' shooting does take some practice if new to the platform initially. Once the grip is sorted out it gets way easier. Much can be gained IMO by DA dry fire at home - and that also smooths action a bit more.

Snubs can be intimidating to some folks - until they find the ''formula''.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    2. Get a high quality ankle rig. You'll be suprised how easy they are to carry. I use a Renegade rig for the past number of years (about 14 or 15) and it workes wonderfully.
    I use the same ankle rig and find it to be the MOST comfortable rig that I have ever owned and I have a few of them. It is just ashame that they are so hard to contact and there is no website.

J frames are great little BUGs and are great for deep concealment.

Here are my three, 60, 340, 640:

I wish that my 340 did not have the lock, my 60 and 640 are lock free:
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Administrator
    Snubs are great, but they do take a little more effort to be good with them. Once you do become good with one, they can be very wicked little guns.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The key to accurate shooting is to get a grip that fits your hand properly. I don't know if your gun has the thin wooden grips that used to be standard, or a newer rubberized grip that is larger. When a grip fits your hand well, it provides more surface area in contact with the hand, so more friction exists to prevent slipping and shifting under recoil forces.

My J-frame had the small wooden grips, and was difficult to shoot well, until I installed a set of Hoage (sp?) Bantam grips. Now it is much more pleasnat to shoot, and accuracy is much improved.

Love my li'l 642, it's pretty much my always gun. Even sitting around the apartment in my bathrobe it just drops into the pocket - hard to beat that kind of versatility.
    Jack

Links