Why did you choose the gun you did?

This is a discussion on Why did you choose the gun you did? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Everyone has their prefered platforms, 1911's, Glocks, Sigs...(those are mine) What brought you to your choosen gun? Was it reputation, ergonomics, a price point, cosmetics, ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did you choose the gun you did?

Administrator

Why did you choose the gun you did?

Everyone has their prefered platforms, 1911's, Glocks, Sigs...(those are mine)
    What brought you to your choosen gun? Was it reputation, ergonomics, a price point, cosmetics, advice from someone else etc?
    Also, how thorough was your search in a carry gun?

I'm not asking about bugs or anything other than your primary choice in a CCW weapon.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Sig's and Glocks, the reason for me RELIABLITY, and REPUTATION
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

XD, Honestly it was because of the way it felt in my hand. I was dead set on a Glock until I picked up the XD. I don't regret my decision. It shoots where I aim it. It shoots every time I pull the trigger. And so far it shoots what I load it with without fail.

MikeV

That said, I still want a good 1911 as well. I guess it's cause it's the first gun I ever really carried. US Army MP 1987-93
    Last edited by MIKEV; March 16th, 2007 at 01:25 PM. Reason: added content

g23 for me ... i carry it for a few reasons (in order): reliable, fits me, fits my lifestyle/clothing choices, good caliber, cheap to replace if need be.

once i shot my first g19 about 8 or 9 years ago, i was hooked on the "plastic perfection". i've fired quite a few different "flavors" of handguns and always come back to the "ugly", "blocky", "x-ray defying" plastic pistola.

I'll be the first to say that I don't have just one carry gun. I know their is an argument that you should have one platform and thus remain fully proficient, like it is an extension of your hand, but I feel very comfortable carrying anything I own.
    So, my criteria for my carry gun is varied.
    But overwhelmingly it was quality. I really admire quality in any tool.

Aesthetics is probably my last consideration.

My first purchase specifically for carry use was my 642. At the time I needed a reliable, concealable gun that I could afford and still have enough money left for my HCP class and permit fees. After that came the Mil-Spec, I've always been a 1911 fan and the price was right. Hard to argue against the viability of the .45acp as a defensive handgun round. Coming soon is a 9mm Glock 19, lower recoil and weapon weight (important due to health issues), proven reliabilty, 15+1 capacity with 17 or 33 round mags also available and some interesting 9mm +P rounds on the market.

After that, probably an East German Makarov. Really itching to use my C&R and the Maks have always interested me. Oughtta be a nice low profile carry gun for deep concealment needs.
    Jack

Luck, I guess. A couple of friends took me shooting about 14 years ago. One had a BHP (among several others) and one had a Beretta 92F. I really liked the hi-power and bought one a few months later.

It's been my primary as long as I've had my permit and only recently is in the process of being put out to pasture as a main carry weapon by my new Taurus PT145. We'll see how the PT145 does in the next few shooting sessions.

Ron
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

VIP Member
    I started concealed carry with a S&W 66 revolver. I have seen, in previous years in the service, how well the 66's held up to salt water & other harsh environments. This was the early days of stainless handguns. (That 66 is now carried by my father.)

Later, a friend got a Glock 20 & at first I was a BIG skeptic of 'combat tupperware'. After I shot his & did a little research I ended up with getting one of the first G23s. Since then I have bought several more.
    (I still carry the Gs on hot days.)

When my wife decided to start carrying, she didn't like the 'ugly' Glocks, so I purchased a Sig 239 for her to carry. (She has since changed her mind on Glocks & carries a G23, when she isn't carrying the Sig.)

Onto the 1911.... I have had a liking of the 1911 for some years. The problem was, that before one would be reliable enough to carry, you had to have a LOT of work done to it. Nowadays, a lot of manufactures, from Springfield, Kimber & custom shops as well, have well built & reliable 1911s & I have a bunch. Some are pretty well stock, others are heavily modified (most of the time I have a 1911 of some kind on.)

What the future holds? I don't know, but I'm ready & waiting for anything. I'm not interested in fads, but good, reliable & effective firearms.........................
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Sig 228, primarily because it's issued, and secondarily because it's a damn fine weapon. I would have no problems carrying a Glock (I used to carry a G23 before joining my agency), HK, XD, or any of the major manufacturers wares if they "felt" right. I've never been a huge fan of the 1911, but this is mostly because I have (admittedly) far less experience with that platform (and single actions in general) then I do with double action (and "safe action" and/or similar designs).

As a side note, I now have only 9mms for "off duty" carry, simply based on ammo availability. I can basically get all the 9mm FMJ and Hydra-shok that I want, so I have that much more training opportunity with a 9mm.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I hate to say me too, but we have alot in common Sixto- my choices are 1911, Sig and Glock. I learned to shoot with my grandfather on a 1911 so I'll always love 'em. I shot a friends Sig 229 and really liked it. When I had a chance I bought a 228 and later a 220.

Although I've owned handguns since I was 21, I didn't get a carry permit until I was 33. So for a year I've carried different ones. Last summer I decided the best every day was G-19. I carry the others on occasion but the 19 is 24/7 I picked it because:
    1. Reliability
    2. I shoot it well
    3. Capacity
    4. Light weight/ concealable

Assistant Administrator
    I'd say I followed an ''evolutionary'' trend. I have had a lot of guns over years but when CCW began over 5 years ago, it was less than obvious what might work best for me.

My first carry piece was a M85 snub and that did me well - then my first auto was P95. I quite liked that but was still not feeling I had found Nirvana.

I put my BHP into service and liked that a lot but again - not quite what I was seeking. Went back to snub for quite a while with SP-101 and even for a few weeks carried 4" M28 but - felt auto was still best for me.

Three years ago I handled a SIG and it felt good - really good. So just over two years ago bought my first SIG, a 226 ST - my current EDC. It was and is all I seek in a carry gun - and I like large and heavy. Also happen to prefer DA/SA mode.

If I should need to change for any reason it would be the 228 or 220 coming into play - and finally I'd still not be too uncomfortable with my SW99. I do however unlike some - choose to be all but dedicated to one platform unless circumstances dictate a change for reasons of size, concealment etc. I feel that total familiarity with one platform is going to give a slight ''edge'' should there be a need to go into a situation.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

My current favorites are the Ruger P345 and the KelTec P3AT.

The Ruger is accurate, reliable, smooth and slim for easy carry, and it is a .45! It is DA/SA, and mine is decock only, not the usual decock/safety type. The slide and mags are stainless, and the frame is polymer, which is a big plus since I live in an area where corrosion can be a problem. Suits me better than any other I have found.

The P3AT is the smallest, lightest .380 available, and carries well for me with the belt clip. Power is about the same as most snubbie .38s, but it has 7 rounds ready to go vs. 5 for the .38, and fast 6 round reloads waiting their turn. Except for the .22 mini-revolvers, this is the most concealable gun around.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    I'll be the first to say that I don't have just one carry gun. I know their is an argument that you should have one platform and thus remain fully proficient, like it is an extension of your hand, but I feel very comfortable carrying anything I own.
    So, my criteria for my carry gun is varied.
    But overwhelmingly it was quality. I really admire quality in any tool.

Aesthetics is probably my last consideration.
    +1, however... I do have a favorite among all the "carry" guns I own (1/2 dozen or so) and it's a Bersa Ultra Compact 9. I've owned a Bersa 380 in one form or another for close to 30 years and have always been impressed by their value (price vs. quality, reliability and features). When I saw their large caliber Ultra Compact models, I decided to give them a try and it was the best decision I've ever made concerning a pistol.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I carried an Army Issued 1911 for many years. I'm one of the few who really played well with that old clanky .45. I had a passion for a G23, but fell in love with a Kahr K40 stainless. I have small hands, and this gun almost aims itself and hits what its aimed at. It conceals sooooooo well. I've been looking at a SIG as a possible BU. My feeling is carry what you shoot well, then stick with it. Practice, practice, practice.
    God Bless the USA

I carry a Kahr Arms P9. I like 9MM as they can be found everywhere and are relatively inexpensive to practice with. I had a Kel Tek P11 but I didn't like the trigger. I wanted something that was very easy to carry and the lightest weight possible. I too have small hands which was a consideration. Also considering I have managed to go a long time without being attacked lugging around a big hunk of iron for more power just didn't seem to be realistic and harder to conceal. I went with comfort and concealability as primary concerns. If it wasn't comfortable I knew I wouldn't carry everyday. I do on occasion carry a Springfield 1911 A1 which confirms my first choice for comfort.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links