Review: Big Bore .45's

This is a discussion on Review: Big Bore .45's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This review is for Big Bore 1911's. This morning I did something I've never been able to do. I set up a set of 8 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This review is for Big Bore 1911's. This morning I did something I've never been able to do. I set up a set of 8 spent shotgun shells on the ground and popped each one with my Big Bore .45. Now Bumper will be the frist to tell you I'm not the best of shots but I can hold my own. I have a big love for 1911's so I've tried everything from Glock's to Springfields, Kimbers, Nighthawks etc. So far I've never shot anything close to the Big Bore.

Big Bore is called a zero tolerance pistol because there is zero tolerance in the fit for the slide, rails, barrel and trigger assembly.

I stumbled across Big Bore while I was out looking for a second Nighthawk. Big Bore is a distributor her in AZ so I drove on over. When I got to the shop I was supprised. I walked into what was more a machine shop than gun shop. The owner Gordon is the only employee and a salty sort. He has no time for low cost guns. Just his prefence and it is his shop.

Anyway I'm looking at a Nighthawk when I came across the gun in the pictures. I asked Gordon a million questions about his 1911's and after some pleading he let me look at the Big Bore. O.K. I've wracked a few guns. I pay special attention to the lock up on 1911's. I've never felt a slide lock like this before. I almost wet myself.

So $2500 + tax lighter I had my first Big Bore. So off to the range.

Big Bore guaranteed accuracy is 1" at 20 ft. Yep 1' at 20 ft. So I buy myself 300 rounds of Magtech set the target at 15 ft. Now I warm up with my Nighthawk Enforcer II. Great gun. $1700 buys a lot of gun. I'm within 3" first round. 3" second clip. Now I pick up the Big Bore. Same sights as the Nighthawk. I know what I'm doing I say to myself.

Bang. Damn that was right where the front sight was. Bang. That is 1.5" inches from the first. Bang. Where did it go? Damn I clipped the first shot. Bang not 1/2" from the first and third. So I get brave. Lets set the target back 5' to an ever 20'. Bang, Head shot right on the number. Bang. The number disappears. Bang 3 of them in the same quarter size group. Holy *#$% I'm good! O.K. you get it the gun is accurate.

Well. Now I go shooting with the Big Bore group and have shot 7 Big Bore's one with 50k rounds that is as accuarate as mine. I've been so impressed I just bought recieved a Mercury Model I personally ordered. It has the flutted bull barrel and the see through slide ports. Pics are comming.

Yep I set up the shot shells for the new one also. Bang... You know the story. I've never been so impressed with a pistol. Fair warning Big Bore's Start at 3k and go up from there. I got the first one so cheap because It was a special order that the guy couldn't pay for. Fair warning also Gordon will give you your choice of finish, checking or stipling, but your gonna get a Bull Barrel and his work. Takes about 6 weeks for him to build yours. http://bigborecustom.com/

Lets see some pics... I would love one but 3k ouchy i dont think i could shoot good enough to justify it

DC Founder
    Here's some pictures of the Mercury model from BigBore's website. Cool gun! Be sure and bring it to work on Monday so I can see it. I know I didn't have to tell him that
    Attached Images
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Administrator

OH Man!

Speechless
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Speechless
    And I have to tell you the pictures don't do justice to the gun as you see it in your hand. And I have only seen it unfinished after he first drilled the holes in the slide. Gordon does very good work, and you pay for it. I inspected and worked the slide of his personal carry gun that had the 50k rounds through it and it looks and performs like new. He has replaced nothing but springs (which he will replace free for life for anyone buying one). Visiting his shop is a "unique experience".

While I will probably never own a BigBore, Gordon is also one of the local Nighthawk dealers.
    Bumper

Very Nice looking pistols .. Wish we had custom shops localy so i could check this stuff out might persuade me to buy one ...lol

About as exotic as they get here is a Wilson ....

Even though there is a Nighthawk in one shop no wonder no one has bought it though its just plain ugly

Yes some of Nighthawk's green or gray guns really turn me off. But Bumper and I have ones in black, and I think they are very sharp guns. Thanks Bump for catching the pics. I forgot to attach the old ones. You can now see them in the old post Big Bore.

All the Nighthawk's I am ordering will be all Black as well. I feel it is much like a Tuxedo, Black is the only way to go.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

the one at the loacl shop is a green slide and tan frame yuck for that cost give me black who ever ordered it must be color blind

The drilled slide is cool, but I'm not sure if it's $3k cool.

Then again, I've never been Mr. 1911.

Red face

I keep wondering about the "ports" being drilled out...seems a good place for dirt, dust, lint, you name it, to collect and, yes wind up between the slide and the barrel. I hate the term "0 tolerance"...folks there ain't no such thing. Some are just tighter than others, but believe me, there is always clearance.

I agree that they look cool, but I would be concerned about long-term functionality.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    the one at the loacl shop is a green slide and tan frame yuck for that cost give me black who ever ordered it must be color blind
    I believe a lot of the green and tan guns are being made for those being deployed in the Middle East. I can tell you if my son were to go to Iraq I would be taking him and buying him a BigBore even though I probably would never buy one for myself. I also wouldn't hesitate to send him over there with a Wilson or a Nighthawk, either.
    Bumper

Bumper that is very true and i thought of that but this is michigan no sand lot of snow ... and they just got it in id like to say 1st of jan .. Besides i thought they werent allowing personal weapons to be taken over to the sand box

Bud, those pistols also cater to those that desire that which is currently being used by our Amred Forces. Much like how I have seen individual after individual plunk down some serious coin for a Kimber Warrior just becuase it is what is "supposedly" issued to Det 1 MEUSOC.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

I have a friend who works over at Unertl and he has told me they can not keep up with the demand for the Unertl MEUSOC pistol. Now that is one very potent 1911.

~A
    Fave Quotes

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links