Not a good day - Cracked Slide

This is a discussion on Not a good day - Cracked Slide within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey Is that kind of a crack repairable? I would imagine that if they are going to do you solid at all, ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not a good day - Cracked Slide

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Is that kind of a crack repairable? I would imagine that if they are going to do you solid at all, they're going to simply have to give you a new slide altogether.
    I was thinking they would give me a new slide. I am no guns smith or materials engineer, but I do not think a crack like that can be repairable. I could always try duct tape or Gorilla glue.

2. Remove Ads

Residual stress?

If the crack appeared while the gun was in storage and not in use, I'd guess that it is due to residual stress in the steel introduced when the slide was manufactured. Normally a steel part would be heat treated after fabrication to relieve such stress in the material. Perhaps the heat treating was not done correctly in this case.

I would think the manufacturer would replace the part for you. I don't see any way to repair it.

Do they use cast slides?
    Hoplophile

I sure hope Para makes it right for you. I've never seen one crack like that before. Good luck with Para as far as warranty goes.

I don't know how you can call a warranty like that "bullet proof" I don't like the statement regarding only the original owner is allowed to be covered under the warranty. If the gun is made correctly what difference does it make how many owners it had, this kind of statement is just plain rediculous. I hope for your sake you are the original owner and I agree a new slide is the only satisfactory repair. Good Luck.
    NCHornet
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

VIP Member
    Definitely an odd place for a crack. Considering its location, I would check the chamber, too. Make sure it isn't bulged out or cracked itself, having caused the crack in the slide. Probably not the case, but something to look at.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    I hope for your sake you are the original owner and I agree a new slide is the only satisfactory repair. Good Luck.
    NCHornet
    I am in fact the original owner.

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    Definitely an odd place for a crack. Considering its location, I would check the chamber, too. Make sure it isn't bulged out or cracked itself, having caused the crack in the slide. Probably not the case, but something to look at.
    I checked the chamber. I see no bulging or cracking. I reassembled the slide and noticed that the crack is located exactly where the recoil spring guide buffer is. It may be a coincidence, but what does anyone think?

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    I don't know how you can call a warranty like that "bullet proof" I don't like the statement regarding only the original owner is allowed to be covered under the warranty.
    I called it bulletproof.
    I had a used Para, sent it back for repairs, they didn't ask if I was the original owner and did the whole job for free with no shipping cost both ways.
    That's bulletproof.

YMMV.

VIP Member
    I'll be interested in seeing how Para resolves this, as well...I've been considering adding a Slim Hawg to the arsenal...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Being In Such An Odd Place...

I'm certain that they will replace the slide for you...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Para will fix it for you. Make certain that when and where you purchased it, it was sold to you as a NEW gun.<just making sure your Ts are crossed> If you're the originial owner, then, no problem, and if you're not, I think they'll still do you right..Para has a good rep for correcting troubles with their guns..
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Administrator

Post You're Either 100% Covered - Or Call A Lawyer

And file a defective product case against them.
    My wife is in customer service.
    At her company they would resolve a quality control product problem like that almost overnight.
    There is no way that anything you did on your end caused that slide crack in that location.
    In fact most slides that crack will crack at a machined sharp corner of the ejection port and not the exact middle.
    Your particular problem should be resolved with just a phone call - and by rights if that is the gun that you carry for personal protection then they should mail you out a new freakin' top end.
    And they should be damn quick about it too!

Call their customer service up and then e-mail them a link to your uploaded photos.

Also mention to them that there are about 7,000 CombatCarry handgunners from your web forum that are waiting to hear exactly how they resolve this customer service issue.

Looking at that "through crack" in that location - I'm betting that other guns in your serial number range have experienced the exact same problem.
    Hey...you know $h1t Happens but, the bottom line is that they should either take care of you completely on a phone call (and a photo) or they should be paying shipping and insurance BOTH WAYS to QUICKLY resolve that problem.

One or the other.

Keep us updated.
    There will be lots of folks her curious about how bullet proof "bullet proof" really is.

Looks like your Hawg may have been too Slim...

I'd guess the remedy will be easy with the manufacturer.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Para Frames and Slides are Investment Castings.

Cast metal Parts are subject to Voids (hollow spaces ) and
    Impurities ( foreign material in the metal )

These Defects WILL appear in a certain percentage of parts.
    The ONLY solution is Rigid Quality Control.

Your slide slipped through with a Defect .
    This is what Warranties are for.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Also mention to them that there are about 7,000 CombatCarry handgunners from your web forum that are waiting to hear exactly how they resolve this customer service issue.

Keep us updated.
    There will be lots of folks her curious about how bullet proof "bullet proof" really is.
    I already had this in mind. Nothing like the loss of future business to stir a company's reactions. I, however, think Para will do the right thing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links