Not a good day - Cracked Slide - Page 3

Not a good day - Cracked Slide

This is a discussion on Not a good day - Cracked Slide within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; But I have never heard any bad things about them. So I would think they would. Sorry to hear about your Hawg....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not a good day - Cracked Slide

I hope Para will do the right rhing

But I have never heard any bad things about them. So I would think they would. Sorry to hear about your Hawg.
    Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.
    Muhammad Ali

Unfortunately I have seen this before... I have a Para 7.45 LDA, and my buddy has the double stack version. His slide cracked while he was using it, and most of the slide ended up down range. He had purchased it used.

He sent it back to Para and they claimed the guide rod spring was in need of replacement and charged him $200 for the repair. They claimed the springs should be replaced every 2000 rounds (if that is the case I'm certainly due for a change)!

After posting his situation in several forums, and finally reaching the right person within the organization, the problem was finally resolved. Para ended up installing night sites and some other upgrade to make up for the $200 charge.

I doubt you will experience anything like this, you have far fewer rounds through your hawg and you are the original owner. I just wanted to make you aware of my friends situation.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Administrator
    I think they will do the obvious right thing.
    We just want to get you ready in case they don't.

At least (in your case) that is not termed a catastrophic failure - meaning that if the slide cracked that way in the middle of a firefight to save your precious bacon - the firearm would still function even with that crack through the port. That is one plus anyway.

If you have any problem's with them (and I doubt you will) the person to contact would be George Wedge at gwedge@paraord.com
    He's a company rep that hangs out at http://forum.m1911.org
    Nice guy, and does his best to keep Para's customers happy.

Also, just for the record, Para doesn't have a "written" warranty, if you check out their site you'll find the info under the "information" link on the top of the page. Then look on the right side and click on the "Warranty Information" and/or "Lifetime Service" links (which explains things)

I had an excellent experience with para service dept...they back up their commitment to customer satisfaction.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Thumbs up Para will take care of the Cracked Slide!!!

Contacted George Wedge at Para via email last night and heard back from him today. Para is going to take care of it (install a new slide) at no cost!! George was very helpful, stands by Para's products, and is definitely committed to customer satisfaction.

Those of you considering a Para, .

I'm pleased that went as well for you as it did for me. I'm sure some people have had a bad experience with Para, but in my opinion it is the exception rather than the rule.

Did he have anything to say as to how/why it broke?

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Did he have anything to say as to how/why it broke?
    No, he didn't say anything other than that it isa crack. I'll be sure to ask after the techs/engineers get their hands on it.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Sounds like youre GTG.....
    Glad they hooked you up....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

The written warranty is only a piece of paper.

How Para actually handles it will show the character of the company.
    The Marshmallowist

I do not get it! Why would a slide crack with a low pressure round like the 45acp? I doubt even poor metal is an excuse. Me thinks something is rotten in the Para Ordnance plant. If I were Para Ordnance I would be looking for an answer in a hurry. Regards, Richard

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    My guess is that it might have cracked under pressure of you sitting and putting weight on it while in your holster. Of course, the defect in the metal would play a part.

It sounds more reasonable, since it hasn't been shot since the last time you inspected it.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I can rule out it cracking from being under the pressure of me sitting on it. I say this because I checked it Thursday night after my dry-firing, no problems. I didn't carry it Friday since I am not allowed to carry at work and was also on the road most of the day. When I am driving, my handgun stows away in a very accessible compartment in the center console. So there was no carry between checking it Thursday night and noticing it Saturday prior to the range.

Regardless, Para is taking care of it and giving me a new slide free of charge, just wish it wasn't taking so long. It's going on 5 weeks now. Every time I inquire ETA, they keep telling me that it is going to take some time for the new slide to arrive at their location. Not really sure about that?!

In the mean time I have been using the M&P9c for EDC and am patiently waiting (like a kid at Christmas) for UGB Nate's rig to come for it. I am currently using a Comp-Tac Infidel.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79 View Post
    My guess is that it might have cracked under pressure of you sitting and putting weight on it while in your holster.
    That'd be highly unlikey, unless if he's the definition of one hell of a fat ass made out of lead. Took over 10,000 pounds to pull aluminum apart today. That's a stress crack.

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    I called it bulletproof.
    I had a used Para, sent it back for repairs, they didn't ask if I was the original owner and did the whole job for free with no shipping cost both ways.
    That's bulletproof.

YMMV.
    No shipping costs? Anybody else ever have to pay shipping? I was going to send my Taurus in, and it was going to cost me $56 shipping since nobody will ship a handgun any way besides next day air.

Thankfully a friend wanted a Kahr bad, we had the same exact gun, made a swap (it was dropping mags after shooting 1 or 2 rounds), and she sold it at a gun shop for $150.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Is that kind of a crack repairable? I would imagine that if they are going to do you solid at all, they're going to simply have to give you a new slide altogether.
    I wouldn't ask the best TIG welder in the world to repair that crack. Where the sights sit, or a beavertail is fine, but a stressed sliding, moving part that's through and through? Gimmie a new piece.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    That'd be highly unlikey, unless if he's the definition of one hell of a fat ass made out of lead.
    Quite the contrary. Measuring 5’ 6” weighing 145 lbs and having a 30” waist, I’d say I don’t even come close.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links