Any Opinions on the Heckler and Koch P2000

Any Opinions on the Heckler and Koch P2000

This is a discussion on Any Opinions on the Heckler and Koch P2000 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was thinking about getting an H&K P2000 and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on them about reliability, accuracy, etc. Any opinions would ...

Thread: Any Opinions on the Heckler and Koch P2000

Question Any Opinions on the Heckler and Koch P2000

I was thinking about getting an H&K P2000 and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on them about reliability, accuracy, etc. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

I was thinking about getting one they are great guns. I was able to shoot one at the range due to the person in the stall next to me wanting to shoot my 9mm AR so i let him and he ask me if i wanted to shoot either his p2000 or his p2000sk. Both were in 9mm he went on telling me how much he liked HK products as long as he doesnt have to send them in for service. I shot both of them and really liked them it made me consider buying one. Very accurate and it felt good in my hand.

When i went to my gun store to buy an HK p2000sk, i ended up walking out with a SW MP9c. It just felt so much better in my hand for some reason and i couldnt convince my self in paying 2 times the amount for the HK after holding the SW. I am not disappointed in the choice at all. If the prices were (+ or -) 100 i would have purchased HK. As problems the owner of the 2 HK's told me he shoot there about every week and has around 2XXX rounds in each and has never had a problem with these 2. He did go on to tell me he had problems with his USP in 45 and it was a pain to get it fixed by HK. I think they are great guns and from what i am hearing from others the CS is getting better. I am sure the p2000 would be a great gun. If this is what you are set on dont hold the MP lol it will be comming home with you instead lol

Hmmm..

Funnily enough, I'm looking at a 2000 myself, this time in .40. From what I can tell, it feels amazing in my hands, but I've had a bad experience with .40 controlability and muzzle rise once before, so I'm a little worried about it. If anyoen knows how well it handles in .40 Caliber, and also, if anyone knows what the repair policy is like on them, I'd be grateful. Is it true that H&K has no sponsored Gunsmiths, and all weapons have to be sent away for any kind of alterations?

Favorable on H&K

I do not have the P2000 model, but do have the USP 45 and USP 40c models from H&K. I have been very happy with both guns and they have been absolutely reliable with every type of ammo I have tried in them. The guns are very sturdy and well made, quite accurate, and have better ergonomics and trigger feel than Glocks, in my opinion.

As for the question about .40 caliber recoil in a 24 ounce polymer gun, such as the USP 40c or the Glock 23 (which are almost identical in size), it is a sharp recoil but not uncomfortable once you become accustomed to it. In general .40 caliber ammo has about 25% to 35% more muzzle energy than 9mm, so you would expect more recoil if you are accustomed to shooting 9mm.

HK also has the P30 in 9mm (only I think) that has the same adjustable backstraps as the S&W M&P, but adds adjustable grips too. They let you adjust the grip width.

I haven't seen one, I think it might be a new model.

HKs are good guns, I equate them as being a Mercedes and Taurus being a Toyota. I have three Taurus models so I can say this without implying offense.

No experience with the P2000/P2000SK other than nearly buying one last year. Spent a couple of months thinking about it and got a Sig instead. I prefer the Sig.

I guess a Sig is a BMW??

I have and carry a P2000 LEM trigger in 40. Nary a malfunction. built rugged, easy to carry, not bad w/ muzzle flip (wrt to other 40's I carry (glock 23, Beretta PX4))

LEM - 2nd strike capability, same trigger pull each time, external bobbed hammer (to safely reholster w/ thumb over hammer)).

The barrell is slightly shorter than the Glock 23. Aftermarket is not as abundant (night sights, etc. ...) and mags are expensive. Gun is FULLY ambidexterous.

I have ameriglow nightsights on mine and carry it in a garritygunleather incognito deluxe and a horizontal mag pouch.

The P2000 and my Glock 23 get the most IWB carry for me. The 642 gets all my pocket time.

Edited to add - if you already have the Glock 23 and are happy with it, stick with the glock. IMO, just as reliable as the HK, cheaper and easier to work on and get parts. If you have $$$ to burn, the P2000 is a nice gun. If you are looking at the options of light double action (a la glock safe action), in addition to the HK LEM trigger, you should take a look at the XD USA trigger system and the Sig DAK trigger system.

Do an advanced search and search for P2000 and my userid, you should see all that I posted on the P2000.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie A. View Post
    I was thinking about getting an H&K P2000 and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on them about reliability, accuracy, etc. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    I've read stuff about them that indicates to me I might want one eventually.

I just wish they hadn't come up with such a dumb name for it.

Naming anything "2000" makes it seem like you're trying to overcome lameness by giving it a name that's suggestive (a little too desperately so) of "high-tech."

It's like when car manufacturers come up with dumb letter combos that ignorant dupes think substitutes for actual high tech quality. Remember the Mitsubishi "3000GT"? Gimme a break.

The only difference here is that I know HK makes excellent products. Why they went with a cheesy name, I'll probably never know.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Come on now, the 3000GT VR-4 was actually a good performer. It was the non turbo 2wd versions that were the dogs. Oh, and to not hijack the thread, I did like the feel of the P2000 when I fondled it at the gun show... never had an opportunity to shoot it, though.

I've had a P2000 in 9mm for a few years now. I initially bought it as a IDPA pistol, for which I wanted an ambidextrous gun -- ambi slide release, ambi mag release, DA. Now it's my carry gun. I've been very pleased with it; no malfunctions, readily concealable, and -- despite a long appreciation of Glocks -- IMO more ergonomic than a Glock of similar dimensions. I'm sure that mine is more accurate that I am. I've been looking to pick up a P2000sk, but don't often find them, and when I do, they're often pricey even for a H&K.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    While i dont have a single hk pistol now , i have never seen a bad one . Others seem to value them more than i do which is good when i happen across a bargin lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Sponsored Links