Cocked and Locked Back-Up Gun Suggestions

This is a discussion on Cocked and Locked Back-Up Gun Suggestions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I have been reading through much of the very interesting material on this site and I must say it has been very informative ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello all,

I have been reading through much of the very interesting material on this site and I must say it has been very informative and enjoyable. So I first want to thank everyone for their contribution. That said I have a specific question that I could not find an answer to in previous posts.

I currently carry a H&K USP Compact in .40S&W and I'd like input on a Back-Up Gun. Here are my preferences:

1.) I'd like a single-action (or DA) semi-auto that can be safely carried cocked and locked. The reason being I really appreciate a short/light trigger for every shot.

2.) I'd prefer a caliber 9mm or larger, although I would consider others if they were appealing enough in other aspects.

3.) Obviously I'd like it to be extremely compact as it'd be a back-up gun carried in deep cover.

4.) Mass has this Approved Handguns Roster to worry about so a gun on this list would be pretty much necessary. (yeah I know I have a USP compact, but it's used and was somewhat hard to find and definitely was over-priced, but worth it) http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/...er_feb2007.pdf

It's a tough set of preferences/requirements to meet, but I'd be interested to see what ideas you fine people may have. I have also been considering a Kahr Arms PM40 and a Smith & Wesson Airweight .38+P Snub-nose, but if possible I really to prefer single-action autos.

Anyway, thank you for your time and advice. I am also interested if you may have serious arguments against any of my preferences you would like to raise. Thanks again.

Take Care,

nasm

What initially came to mind was the Colt Pocket 9 (9mm) and the Colt (.380). The Pocket 9 would be hard to come by plus it doesn't meet the Mass Approved Handguns Roster. A lot of members on here really love their S&W J-frames, and I can't say that I blame them. The Kahr PM40 would be viable, but it is my understanding that the recoil of the PM40 is a kicker. You also have to watch Kahr's small polymers. Some people have had excellent experiences with their shootablitiy and reliability; others have not.

I personally would go with a S&W J-frame.

Springfield EMP or is that to large? My 1911 backup is a J frame in +P .38 and I'm very happy with it.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Kimber Aegis

Kimber has a new subcompact 9mm 1911 called the Aegis on the market, which is designed for cocked and locked carry. It has a melt job on the slide, so it is very smooth. They are rather expensive, however.

Kimber Aegis website

Removed post.
    Last edited by PapaScout; March 19th, 2007 at 10:18 AM.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

I would go with a hammerless S&W revolver. In Massachusetts it , if anything, makes sense. I am sorry that this isn't the answer you want. Regards, Richard

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Kimber and Springfield aren't on the MA list, and those two guns are both highly desirable in all parts of the country - the probability of finding one used in PRM is minute. With that said, I'm at a loss for suggestions - frankly, that list sucks for what you want.

Wow, that list sucks!

The only pistols I can think of aren't on the list.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Working off the list, how about one of the Hawgs? Para-Ordnance has compact 1911s that should fill the bill. For compactness, maybe the Slim Hawg (single-stack .45), the Warthog in a double-stack, or the Hawg 9 if you really want a 9mm.

Check out their product page here: http://www.parahawg.com/pistols.html#PSHX645S
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Senior Moderator
    No Colt Mustang Plus II on the list? FOR SHAME! That's a perfect little cocked and locked SA gun. Granted it's only .380, but very concealable, extremely reliable, TINY, and well... perfect for deep concealed carry, but again, it's not on the list.

Upper right in the picture...

I'm with rodc13, Para might have some good compact 1911s.

Good luck on your search.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    You could go with a Para-Ordnance, if there's a model that's small enough. I don't know much about Para's. I've shot them, but I don't follow what they have available.

I noticed S&W's are on the list. One of the J-frames with either a visible hammer or one of the bodyguard models. Personally I like those, unfortunately I have a 442 I can't get rid of. They have a shroud around the hammer, so nothing snags, but you can pull back the hammer for SA. the bodyguard models, whether airweight or airlite, are a tad lighter than their centennial brothers (Concealed hammer). I'd go with the airweight, though, the airlite's kick horibly).

Good luck.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Springfield xd9 subcompact. I've got one, fantasic weapon. Accurate, safe (grip Safety AND trigger safety). There is no way to de-cock it with a round in the chamber. The trigger is heavier (safer, if you ask me) than a typical single action, but way lighter than a double action pistol. Comes with a 10 round and 16 round mag.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I'd agree, but it's not on his state's approved gun list. That's what makes it a difficult decision. I thought California's list was bad, but their's is worse.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Personally, I never carry another semi-auto for a backup gun. When the crap hits the fan, I want somthing that I know is going to go boom whenever I need it especially if my primary carry gun goes sour and that something will always be a wheel gun! Either a Colt Combat Cobra or a S&W Model 13, both in 357 mag!

If you are looking for a compact 1911 style SA, Para would be a good bet, as they have several choices. The Slim Hawg was already mentioned. I have a Slim Hawg and use it as my EDC.

You may also want to consider Para's LDA Carry 9. The Carry 9 is not a single-action, but a double-action only. Para calls it LDA, "Light Double-Action." Guns&Ammo ran a good article on this type of trigger. Here is the pertaining excerpt:

These conventional double-action pistols contrast sharply with other guns which came into great popularity in the last decade with one form or another of a DAO (Double Action Only) system. Para-Ord's LDA is a form of DAO; the trigger pull is the same for every shot. It's also an uncommonly short and light DAO pull. While there is an external, conventional looking hammer on the gun, it never cocks in the conventional sense. When a shot fires and the slide cycles, the hammer follows the slide to a down (at rest) position. It might have been possible for the designers to use the basic LDA principle for the first shot and conventional single action for the remainder. But that's not the route Para-Ord took. By design and choice, the LDA's trigger system is the same for every shot.
    The complete article can be found here.

Now granted, these are going to be heavier than the S&W airweight/lite J-frames.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links