Weekend results (another Taurus PT145 thread)

This is a discussion on Weekend results (another Taurus PT145 thread) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey, all. Shot the little .45 again this weekend. Is it too early for me to fall in love with this little gun? Got 240 ...

Thread: Weekend results (another Taurus PT145 thread)

Weekend results (another Taurus PT145 thread)

Hey, all.

Shot the little .45 again this weekend. Is it too early for me to fall in love with this little gun?

Got 240 through it at this point. Mostly FMJ but starting to run some JHP through it, as well.

100 - 230 gr Remingtons FMJ
    100 - 230 gr Blazer FMJ
    40 - 165 gr Golden Sabers +P

Only issue that I've had with this gun (other than the typical low/left issue that others have also noticed) is with the Blazer ammo. It seems that sometimes it does not have enough "ummph" to strip a round off the mag. Literally, the round is sitting with it's nose straight against ramp. I have not had the ramp polished but this may correct this issue even though it appears bright and shiny now.

Could also be the tightness of the mag springs? Really tight getting 10 in there without the provided mag loading tool especially with cold fingers.

I'll not base my carry decision on it's ability to eat Blazers, of course, I'll switch back to Remingtons now that the Blazers are gone and see if I have any more issues.

Really hoping to get this thing running 100% soon. I love the idea of being able to appendix carrying 11 rounds of .45. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Ron
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Yeah, the gun's pretty neat. A tad shorter than my Glock 26, a tad wider (It doesn't fit in a G-26/27 holster), an oz. or 2 heavier than a 26, 10+1 rounds, & it's a .45!

Wow, I'm getting that warm & fuzy feeling now, too...
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I've heard they do fit the G26/27 holsters. Good to actually hear from someone that's tried it!
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Depends on the holster, sadly. I bought a cheapy (Holster Masters or something?) and it was tight at first but after reholstering a hundred times or so it fits nicely.

It wouldn't fit in a Galco for G26/27 at all.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

As far as ammo goes. I was firing Winchester 230 FMJ and Wolf 230 FMJ without a problem.
    As stupid as this sounds (at least to me) I'm carring Federal 230 hydra-shok's in it. I haven't put any down range with it only because I have the one box that my dealer had. As soon as he gets more in, so am I.
    As far as holsters go. I'm using a Fobus for a Springfield XD. When I started looking for holsters for it, the picture that they show is always an XD. It works (more or less) for me for the time being. Waiting for Nate, UGHOLSTERS.com to get a mold for it. I prefer either an IWB or a pancake.
    I'll post results with other ammo when I get them, and pics when I can figure out how to download from the camera and post.
    Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

If guns cause crime, then pens cause illiteracy

Rock Island Armory 1911 compact tactical, Ruger GP 100, Glock 27

Yours actually shoots the WOLF ammo..wow. Mine jammed like a mo-fo. The blazers I have had no problem with, but it really seems to like the Remmington 230gr FMJ's for practice. What is the problem with 230gr Hydra-Shocks?,...btw I'm not being sarcastic, just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by huntermedic View Post
    I haven't put any down range with it only because I have the one box that my dealer had. As soon as he gets more in, so am I.
    But you're not actually depending on this gun with untested ammo, yet, right?

VIP Member
    I've had issues with blazer .45 too

Update for those that might care. :)

I am, ahem, working from home today which means that I just went outside to my range for a bit this morning. Here are the results of my play-time.

Taurus PT145 : (0 FTF, 0 FTE)

50 Remington 230gr
    20 Speer Gold Dots 200gr +P - a bit hot for this gun to eat a steady diet of. Will tone it down when I get out of break-in period.

Browning Hi-Power 9mm: (0 FTF, 0 FTE)

50 Remington UMC 115gr
    20 Federal Hydra-Shok 124gr

S&W 442 w/new slim rose wood grips:

50 Remington 158gr

Ok, so I'm a nancy-boy. I can not shoot this Taurus accurately, yet. I don't "feel" like I'm flinching or anticipating recoil anymore but I'm all over the road with this one. Some low-left but not always.

I don't have any snap caps in .45 but that's my next step to see what the heck I'm doing. I even hit better with the snubby at 7 yards than I do with the .45 at this point. I know - practice, practice, practice.

On a more positive note my trusty ole Hi-Power practically aims itself. At 15 yards I'm shooting 5" groups which is about as accurate as I ever am with it. I love this gun.

Hands getting tired and shaky so it was time to stop.

I'm carrying Rem 230 hp right now. Those worked without any issues. Bottom of my back-up mag has a few hydra-shoks because I ran out of the HP's (they went down range)

The Wolfs fired without an issue. They seem to be a little dirtier than other ammo, or that could just have been that I put a few hundred down range
    Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

If guns cause crime, then pens cause illiteracy

Rock Island Armory 1911 compact tactical, Ruger GP 100, Glock 27

PapaScout the low left might be caused by the double action only and your actually torqueing the pistol in your hand when you squeeze the trigger.I had a guy ive been working with that owns a XD-45 and he also ows a Browning high Power and likes to shoot it single action.Any way he had the same problem with the XD.what helped him was I had him focas on his shooting form(grip,stance,posture) and now he's grouping 3 inches @25 yrds.Also try to shoot off a good rest or sand bags.It does help

Thanks, Stalker.

The PT145 I have is actually 3rd gen which is DA/SA (although it's only DA on a second trigger pull).

I am not shooting from a rest but I need to do try it that way. I'm sure that it's me at this point and not the gun so I need to correct before bad habits set in.

Links