Purchased a New Bersa Thunder

This is a discussion on Purchased a New Bersa Thunder within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been debating with myself for some time now and I guess I finally made up my mind....hopefully for the best. I carry a 5" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchased a New Bersa Thunder

Purchased a New Bersa Thunder

I've been debating with myself for some time now and I guess I finally made up my mind....hopefully for the best. I carry a 5" 1911 and while I love the gun and the caliber, in the Spring/Summer months it becomes hard to conceal when wearing shorts and a t-shirt. After looking around and reading different reviews I finally handled one of the Bersa Thunders and gave in. Hopefully mine will show up in a few days.

My only problem is the caliber!! I honestly never wanted to step below 9mm, but I never came across anything else that I felt comfortable with carrying in one of the pockets of my cargo shorts. I guess I'll just have to get used to it. After breaking it in I'm thinking of trying the 90gr Gold Dots and maybe some of the Cor-Bon ammo. What do ya'll think?

Jake
    "They kept tryin' to put me in the ground, but I wasn't ready"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Corbon is good. The Bersa is an awesome little gun. Wait till you shoot it!!!
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Fill that thing with either Corbon or Ranger ammo. I have one, it isn't the most powerful handgun, but it is plenty accurate ot to 20 yards. A little problematic when trying to field strip it for the first time and then put back together again, but it is a very good handgun.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Assistant Administrator
    I think you'll like it just fine. Mine is actually my wife's now for her carry!

It has a bit of bulk and weight some others don't have but I found that if carry clothes suitable it is not a problem, and I personally find it an easy and pleasant gun to shoot.

Very rare to hear any bad about these guns and they do represent very good value. Mine (ours!) is not shot to excess .... mainly practice periods but otherwise kept aside just for carry. I expect they can keep on truckin even with large ammo thruput but don't feel the need to treat this gun as a volume plinker.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I've had my Bersa almost a month. .380 wasn't my first choice either but for the money i gave it a shot. I was really impressed with everything except the decocker. It seems to be getting stiffer the more rounds I put through it. Since I bought mine, my friend and my boss also bought the exact same gun. No problems at all with theirs. Good luck finding anything but 7 rd mags online. Everyplace seems to be sold out of 8's and 9's.

Assistant Administrator
    The safety/decocker can be improved on with judicious smoothing so the detent ball has an easier (but not sloppy) action. Mine is still rather stiff but I got used to it and so did my wife.

Horge - a member on THR has a usefull site about these guns - check it out as I think there is some info on smoothing.

http://www.geocities.com/bersa_thunder/
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

bersa

i am very pleased with mt t380 the de cocker can get stiff check out info on bersa talk .

I know a local Police Detective that swears by one for both on duty back-up use, and for off duty cc. Loaded with the right ammo (such as the CorBon) there is nothing wrong with the .380

I really like my little Bersa Thunder 380. It's fun to plink with and I always bring it to the range just in case someone wants to play with it.

I've also got the Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact 45. Really nice and really small too!

I've got mine filled with Corbon DPX. From all the tests I've seen it penetrates the deepest and it always expands.

I have heard rumors that Doubletap is going to make a .380. I may go with that depending on what bullet they choose for it.

Administrator
    I've said it several times, the Bersa Thunder is a great gun for the money.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I think the PowerBalls show a better proformance than the DPX. But anything from CorBon is great ammo for the Bersa.

I don't like how the pow'r ball comes apart. http://www.ktrange.com/articles/a10/a10-14.html

http://www.mouseguns.com/final380.htm

I don't have a tests where they put the DPX head to head with the pow'r ball but I've seen others where the DPX went deeper than the rounds that did better than the pow'r ball and it expanded nicely and was one piece.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post

I don't have a tests where they put the DPX head to head with the pow'r ball but I've seen others where the DPX went deeper than the rounds that did better than the pow'r ball and it expanded nicely and was one piece.

I'm not sure about more pentertration than the powerball. The DPX does have a very wide and deep hollowpoint. And yes it will not come apart. Its a solid copper Barnes bullet. But if I remember this right, the powerball is a faster, harder hitting round. Something I want in a 380.

This is my Bersa Thunder 380 and I use it, on the weekend, in safer environs. I own more expensive handguns but I find the Bersa Thunder 380 protects me as well as a S&W J-frame. Yes, that holster is by Eric for Makarov and yes, it works perfectly with my Bersa Thunder 380. Regards, Richard

Bersa Thunder 380 with HBE Belt Holster:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links