Used S&W 940

Used S&W 940

This is a discussion on Used S&W 940 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an opportunity to buy a used Stainless 9mm wheelie, with a concealed hammer for $400. Thought this might be a good CCW gun ...

Thread: Used S&W 940

Used S&W 940

I have an opportunity to buy a used Stainless 9mm wheelie, with a concealed hammer for $400.

Thought this might be a good CCW gun or even a good night stand weapon for the wife. Has anyone owned or shot a 940? What your thoughts?

Senior Moderator
    Never owned or shot one, but have shot the Taurus 905SS2 9mm with bobbed hammer.

I will say that I want a 9mm snubbie, my wife really like the 905SS2 and if we had the $400 then i would have gotten it. You got a great deal on the Smith and I am turning green with envy
    Last edited by pgrass101; March 20th, 2007 at 02:11 PM. Reason: wrong model #
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    That sounds like a good price. Are they making them anymore? I shot one years ago & loved it. Unfortunately, I shot it after my girlfriend (Now wife), bought a 442 for me for graduating from the police academy. Not complaining, though, I like it too.

It's a little more difficult to carry the moon clips concealed, but sure is quicker & easier to load them.

I'd definitely buy it.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

VIP Member
    That is a great price for one....whenever I see one for sale, it is general for $500 or more irrespective of its condition.

No Cockedlocked01, they aren't made anymore.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Its a screaming price....you wont see them anymore expect when the moon is full and the planets are in alignment. Shoot well and god bless.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Good price

These 9mm S&W snubbies have been out of production for 9 years and are something of a collector's item. They usually command a much higher price than $400.

Here is one for sale on Guns America for $675:

S&W model 940 for $675

Administrator
    I would snatch that up in a hurry for $400. just because it is what it is.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Good price if you want it as a "collectible for carry" since they do fetch a fairly better than average price due to their relative rarity.

For best defensive carry though I don't know why you wouldn't opt for a .38 Special & carry +P+ or go for a compact .357 both of which are superior in performance as well as better suited for a wheel gun - in my humble opinion.

The real advantage of 9mm is that you can buy a pistol & stoke it with 15 or 17 or whatever of 9mm.
    You are losing the advantage of SMALLER cartridge but, higher capacity - over larger cartridge but, less rounds - and you would instead be choosing smaller and lesser for a self defense handgun.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsored Links