Wanted a compact forty. S&W's M&P 40C won me over - big time!

This is a discussion on Wanted a compact forty. S&W's M&P 40C won me over - big time! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Many of you already know this, but perhaps this will help spread the word to those who don't... the 40C is a really sweet little ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted a compact forty. S&W's M&P 40C won me over - big time!

Wanted a compact forty. S&W's M&P 40C won me over - big time!

Many of you already know this, but perhaps this will help spread the word to those who don't... the 40C is a really sweet little gun.

I've been carrying mostly various 1911's over the years but recently desired a little higher capacity in my carry guns. I acquired a Glock 29 (compact 10mm - 11 round capacity) which I dearly love even if it does feel like a block in the hand. (Perhaps it's the fact that it's 10mm and very compact that I love the most!) As wonderful as the G29 is, I wanted something a little more ergonomic that felt more comfortable in the hand than my G29 does. 10mm would be great, but I'd settle for forty. So I recently decided to check out the G27, XD40 compact, and M&P 40C.

My girlfriend and I went to my favorite toy shop and handled the G27 first... felt ok, not great though. Then the XD40 compact... felt a little better to hold than the G27, but the gun has a higher bore axis, felt top heavy and a bit too bulky ion the slide for my liking. Neither of these did much for my girlfriend, and didn't excite me all that much either. Then we held the M&P 40C. Immediate smiles on both of our faces... VERRRY good first sign... how great the gun felt in our hands. Excellent balance, nice low bore axis, points perfectly and just feels great.

We went home, did some reading up on other forums, read some reviews; read about how soft-shooting the 40C is for a small, lightweight .40 caliber gun (most likely due to the low bore axis and designed springiness of the frame) and I decided I wanted a little more potency (40) rather than a little softer shooting (9mm) so I bought the 40C.

Now around 400 rounds of various ammo into it (mostly Speer 180 gr. Gold Dots), I couldn't be happier with the decision. This gun is stone reliable, accurate, wonderfully easy and comfortable to shoot, pure simplicity to shoot (point and pull the trigger), decent and steadily improving trigger feel, great durable finish (black melonite over stainless), and good capacity.

Beyond that, the gun is available without a mag safety, and without any locks. All USA designed and built. Comes from a company (Smith & Wesson) with a lifetime warranty and the best customer service in the industry. Comes with two versions of mag bases... one extended a bit in front for comfortable finger hold, the other with a flat bottom for minimizing size. Also comes with three different palm swell choices to fine tune the fit of the grip to your hand. This gun gets a big thumbs up from me. No doubt I will be buying some more M&P's down the road.

As an aside... my girlfriend saw the little cotton handcloths I have around the house (on my desk, nightstand, dresser top, computer workstation, etc.) for setting my guns on and decided I needed some "proper" gun rugs to put my guns on while they're out and around the house, so she came home with this beautiful little gun rug for my desk... seen here being put to use. She's a thoughtful and sweet woman!

Here are some links of interest:

Links to Reviews

http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MPCompact.htm

http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MP.htm

http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MP9.htm

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_han...swmp15_022207/

Link to M&P Users Forum

http://mp-pistol.com

Link to S&W’s Webpage for M&P’s

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...category=15708

If you're looking for a reliable, accurate, potent, small, lightweight, and affordable ($475 at my local toy store) defense carry gun with good capacity... this should be on your must-check-out list.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    awesome choice man.. glad to see you like it
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

Good looking gun

I've been thinking recently that these .40 caliber polymer subcompacts with 10 round magazines might be the perfect compromise between significant firepower and small size and weight for concealment. The S&W M&P compact looks like a very good example of the type, and it is an attractive gun in appearance.

Does that small gap between the frame and the magazine ever pinch your finger when you fire the gun?

Assistant Administrator
    Hey Don - nice write up and pic - love that gun rug too

It sure seems the M&P series is catching on fast!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

me
    Don

I love my M&P 40 fullsize as well.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Congrats And Good Luck Let Us Know About The Range test!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

pogo... I agree with you... the compact forties are an excellent combination of good capacity, good potency, small size, and light weight. Any gun you choose will be a compromise of one or more factors, but the compromises with these 40 Compacts are all reasonable trade-offs for what you get. I think compact forties are the real "sweet spot" in CCWs. As for the space between the mag base and the front strap... no, I've never experienced any pinching or binding sensation from that space... though it is noticible visually. No problem there.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

Excellent choice! Congrats. I recently added an M&P 9 fullsize to my collection and like it a lot, enough to greatly consider purchasing a compact version.

Nice gun rug. Looks as though your M&P 40c's is a museum piece. Haha.

Oh... as for the "gun rug"... they're originally intended as mouse pads, but make superb and elegant gun rugs... many designs available. Soon, I'll have four or five scattered about the house for my guns to hang out on. Available here: www.mouserug.com And I believe they're sold in stores like Borders as well.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

Dhart, nice report and pic as usual, but didn't you go down this same road with a compact Colt Defender and it ending up not being for you due to it's size? What change this time around?

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Lead Moderator
    Glad you like it. The M&P seems like the Glock. either ya love it or hate it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I was checking out the Glock 27 as well, I fired it at the range yesterday 5 times before it failed to load another round. I might take a look at this, thanks!

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    congrats on your new purchase - the M&P is a great weapon. Bought a full-size 9mm for my wife and she loves it.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Ti Carry... great memory you have friend! ;-). Yes, I had and sold a Defender. The issues (for me) with that gun were:

1) in .45 cal. standard ammo lost considerable terminal effectiveness with the short 3" barrel. Best to shoot expensive exotic ammo (CorBon PowRBall or DXP) for best effect... I reload and didn't want to go the exotic route. 230 gr JHP just lost too much velocity with the 3" tube and lighter weight bullets weren't any better - unless they were exotic.

2) Defender recoil springs need to be replaced every 700 rounds or so and, at the time at least, were expensive and few/far between as far as availability.

3) I had some reliability issues which I probably could have worked out, but decided I didn't want to deal with.

So I sold the gun. In hindsight I wish I'd kept it, but the M&P 40C makes a MUCH better small CCW in my opinion than a 3" micro 1911.

Supporting my decision to go with the M&P 40C: terminal ballistics, reliability, capacity, lower cost.

1) Unlike .45 acp, standard 40 cal. (and 9mm) ammo is quite effective from 3.5" barrels.

2) The M&P is more reliable with a wide range of ammo types right out of the box than one might expect of a micro 1911.

3) The M&P has greater capacity (11 rounds) than a single stack 1911, especially a compact frame 1911.

4) At $425 to $475, the M&P is much less expensive to buy (significant also if lost, destroyed, or damaged) and I wouldn't be as inclined to "baby" the gun as I would a fine, customized 1911.

I think the Defender is a great little 45, but I'm not inclined to choose any micro 1911 over a gun like the M&P Compact which (quite unlike the 1911) was designed specifically for it's small size and is chambered in calibers which work very well from very short barrels. So there you have my reasoning.

Silly question....is the chamber supported?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links