Pistol Suggestions?

Pistol Suggestions?

This is a discussion on Pistol Suggestions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently have a Beretta 90-two and a Beretta Tomcat .32. I'm deciding on a sub-compact carry pistol and I seem to be focusing on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pistol Suggestions?

I currently have a Beretta 90-two and a Beretta Tomcat .32. I'm deciding on a sub-compact carry pistol and I seem to be focusing on Glock 27, Beretta Mini-Cougar .40, or Tarus Millennium Pro .40.

I've never been a glock fan, I guess I like having a safety. But my friend has one that he loves so I went to the range and rented one yesterday. I got 5 rounds through it and then it wouldn't feed the round from the mag. They said it was dirty and abused and brought it to the gunsmith. That kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

My dad has a Beretta Mini Cougar that I really liked but I'm having a hard time finding one.

Then there is the Millennium Pro. I haven't shot it and don't think any ranges around me have one. I've read some good reviews on it (and bad reviews on previous versions but they say the new one is good). And I've found it as cheap as $281 online so I'm having a really hard time passing up that price.

Lead Moderator
    Long trigger pull, but seem to be decent. Personally I have sworn off Taurus. Others to consider would be Glock, SA XD's and stoger makes a Couger, which is a Beretta design. HK's are good too, a P200 SK or USP c , but a bit more money. SW99c, or a 1911 compact from several manufacturers. . Alot depends on what feels right/ shoots well for you.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks. I did handle the 4" XD .40 yesterday and it felt pretty good. I would consider it as well.

VIP Member
    Kahman....I'm a big Cougar fan as I own two including a 8045D Mini Cougar (.45 ACP).

Look up Brad Taylor and see if he has any Mini Cougars. He's sells all things Beretta. I've purchased five guns from him including a very uncommon magazine disconnect version of the 92D (DAO).

He sells and posts on the Beretta Forum as PB14TX.

His e-mail: pb14tx@stx.rr.com

His website: http://www.berettacollection.com/
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Thanks, email sent!

I've never been a glock fan, I guess I like having a safety. But my friend has one that he loves so I went to the range and rented one yesterday. I got 5 rounds through it and then it wouldn't feed the round from the mag. They said it was dirty and abused and brought it to the gunsmith. That kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.
    Definitely don't judge a range rental as if it were indicative of the lot. It's true that many ranges treat their guns a bit less than perfectly. Likely, it was dirty/abused. Many, many folks have Glocks that work like the Energizer Bunny ... they just keep on tickin'.

... Beretta Mini Cougar ... Millennium Pro ...
    The nice thing is, nothing is keeping you from playing around with various ones until you find "the one." With low-priced used examples, you can afford to experiment.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Alternatives to Glock 27

I can see that you want a small .40 caliber gun other than the Glock 27. I noticed that you already posted on the thread started here yesterday by D Hart regarding his new S&W M&P 40 compact, so you are aware of this gun, which could be your best alternative to the G27.

Personally I would not buy anything made by Taurus, based on the weight of negative comment over the years on anything from that company. The Beretta Cougar has been discontinued by Beretta, and a company named Stoeger is manufacturing them in Turkey, but may not be making the smallest compact version - I'm not sure.

Other compact .40 caliber guns you might consider include the Springfield XD 40c, the H&K P2000sk (expensive), and the Walther P99c. Here is a photo and link on the Walther:

Walther P99c specifications

VIP Member
    The Walther P99c is a great suggestion. I have a 9mm "Anti-Stress" version of that gun. Excellent weapon.

So far, Stoeger is only producing "full-sized" versions of the 8009 and 8040. No compacts. Maybe that'll change in the future?
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I would also suggest looking at the Smith and Wesson M&P 40c. I have the M&P9c and love it

Thanks for all the feedback. I was reading an article about the M&P last night. And that seems to be a good option as well. I need to make some calls to see which of these ranges around here has. I'd really like to shoot it first.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Of all the handguns mentoned so far the M&P would get my vote . I do have a taurus pt145 and like it , but many dont for various issues. My day to day carry is a Kahr , since i feel no need of more ammo that a single stack can provide .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

kahman, I would also recommend that you give the M&P .40 Compact a try also. I traded my G27 in on the .40c and I love the gun. I am more accurate with it and it indefinitely has less felt recoil. It does not hurt my feelings either that this gun is made in the USA!! Here are a few pics of my gun and the Comp-tac Infidel holster. It is a real nice holster, but really just was picked up to fill the gap before my Cochise Defender from K&D holsters arrives. That is the one I am REALLY looking forward to!!

Ron

Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Nice Presentation

Adam500, that picture had nice presentation! Nice layout! Good Job!
    This line was made famous by the Clint Eastwood character Inspector (Dirty) Harry Callahan in the 1983 film Sudden Impact, "Go on punk, make my day".

Nice Pictures

Hi Ront,

Nice pictures! Looks like you are ready to Rock 'n Roll!
    This line was made famous by the Clint Eastwood character Inspector (Dirty) Harry Callahan in the 1983 film Sudden Impact, "Go on punk, make my day".

I've got the Smith and Wesson M&P 40c on my list. That looks like a nice setup and I just finished an article on it that seemed pretty good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links