Defensive Carry banner

Kel Tec torture test?

5K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Echo_Four 
#1 ·
Has anyone done any torture tests on their Kel Tec P32 or P3AT?
I did a Google search and there was nothing, only a mini torture test on KTOG that wasn't tortuous at all.

I guess these guns won't fire 20,000 rounds without cleaning or still cycle after a week in saltwater and mud, but I am interested in what they can do.
Especially how much pocket lint it takes to jam one up.

Joking aside, what tests have you done with your Kel Tec and what made it fail?

#2 ·
Kel-Tec web site looks at the life of the pistols to be 6000 rounds. You're paying 250 dollars remember. The thing is though you have a life time warranty on the gun. There are people on the KTOG web site who have had their guns replaced with new ones when they wear out. Can't beat that!

#3 ·
You guys remember back in 92 or so when Glock first came out with the torture test no one has done that since..

#4 ·
I can't remember exactly but someone on this forum "lost" either a p32 or a p3-at in thier field and found it some amount of time later. Cleaned it up and I think he reported it still functioned. Not exactly a test of xxx rounds shot but torture none the less.

#5 ·
Joking aside, what tests have you done with your Kel Tec and what made it fail?
Well, when I was breaking one in, (and checking it for carry worthiness) I ran 500 rounds of the cheapest dirtiest ammo I could through it. It started to have feeding and ejection problems around halfway through. In its defense though, there was so much black crud in and around it from the ammo that my hands were turning black even before I took it apart.

The only thing I would advise someone purchasing one new to do before carrying it is to run a few hundred rounds of ammo through it (including a few boxes of carry ammo), and polish the feed ramp a bit.

True, they aren't going to work after a week in hydrochloric acid, and superglue, but they are more than adequate. Especially for a sub 250$ pocket pistol.

#10 ·
Not really a torture test, but I regularly run 200 or so .32 acp reloads through my P32 after 2 weeks to 1 month of pocket lint (no pocket holster most of the time). I have polished the ramp, but that's about it.

I guess I could probably do something more torturous to it and take some pictures. My curiousity is piqued now.

#8 ·
0.02 - If you're monitoring ktog, then you are already getting some of the best KT experiences around. The things that trouble a P-32 are basically the same things that bother all semi-auto's, just more easily. Springs are the most likely failure point, but anything can and will happen. My FG P-32 recently came apart on me during a speed drill. The assembly pin backed out and the slide, barrel, and recoil springs slid off the frame in the middle of the drill. This was the first problem in about 1000 rounds. Lint shouldn't be a major problem if you're using a decent pocket holster. I still blow mine out with compressed air once a week for insurance.

GoodSamaritan - 250 consectutive rounds through a P-32 without cleaning before a failure occurred is pretty darn good.

-Paul

#9 ·
I've carried my little 1st gen P32 ALOT over the last 5 years, it's down to about 80% blueing, and has around 1K rounds through it, never had a problem. Other than the occasional "rimlock" that happens in all .32's. I've taken it to the range after pocket carrying for weeks without blowing it out and ran two full mags without issue several times.

#11 ·
The closest to torture I've given my 3AT is to pocket carry it for a month or so without cleaning, and then run a couple of mags through it. Still, not one failure that I didn't cause by ridng the slide rather than sling shotting it, and that hasn't happened since I first bought it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.