Taurus PT 1911

This is a discussion on Taurus PT 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for info from owners of the PT 1911. I've read a couple articles in gun publications that gave this reasonably priced pistol high marks, ...

Thread: Taurus PT 1911

Taurus PT 1911

Looking for info from owners of the PT 1911.

I've read a couple articles in gun publications that gave this reasonably priced pistol high marks, but haven't been able to get any info from owners.

Have been in the market for a 1911 for some time, but can't swing the $ that many demand. At a little more than $500. the PT1911 would be a good choice for folks with lower budgets if it performed reasonably and was reliable.

I also am open to suggestions about other 1911's as well.
    Any info will be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
    Jim

2. Remove Ads

here's a nice report posted just a few mins ago

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=22523

I have no shooting Exp with the taurus

I started springfield then colt and no one to les baers

Colt or springfield are both great guns

Im still out on the pt1911 till its been out at least a year or 2 to see if any problems crop up

I have the taurus PT1911 ( 2 actually ) and like the post Bud refered you to I could not be happier with both pistols, out of the box mine shot as well as some of my Kimbers with no break in period, I own 4 Kimbers , 2 Colts and a Ed Brown EE and while the Taurus doesn't hold a candle to the Ed Brown as far as fit and finish it does the job I intended it to do, which is range work and occasional carry on road trips. My one complaint with the pistol is the finish but that can and will be cured soon I plan on having it Deep Blued by either the Smith factory or Springfiels Custom Shop, and yes Bud the Taurus mags do have a slim slam pad on them but I've relegated those mags for range use only and carry it with Wilson 47D's i have yet to have any failures of any kind that couldn't be traced to operator error or a mag. One of the Taurus's now has over 2500 rounds thru it and was detail stripped last week and I could not find any unusual wear. For 480.00 out the door I feel it is a good value.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

The PT1911 is the best value on the market for a 1911. The PT1911 will do everything just as good as my Kimber for $250 less!!! Here's a review I did in January 07 when I first got mine.

"Got a Taurus PT 1911 on 12/27/06 and it's a very nice pistol for the money.

Field stripped it, cleaned and oiled it when I got it home. Their ads say they are hand fitted. I could tell from looking over the parts that this one was hand fitted. The extractor, barrel hood, slide stop, and slide showed filing and polishing marks.

The fit and finish are very good. Not quite as good as my Kimber Pro Carry II, but very nice. The checkering is machine cut and a little uneven on the front of the grip but not bad enough to send it back to Taurus. The slide is tight and doesn't rattle. There is very very slight movement of the barrel when in lock and pushing down on the barrel hood. The trigger measured 4 1/4 lbs (out of the box) with about 1/16 in take up and no creep, crisp release. The pistol comes with two mags, brush, and a barrel wrench. Didn't need the barrel wrench as the barrel bushing moved easily with hand pressure. Because it has a full length guide rod the spring plug has a hole thru it. I used the base of one of the mags to depress the spring plug.

Took it to the range today and fired 250 rnds thru it. It fed Independence 230 grn FMJ just fine. I used some HSM 230 grn JHP and it choked on it some. As I shot more it seemed to have less of a problem. But the JHPs were not reliable at this point. Will try some better JHP after a few hundred more rounds of FMJ. My best group was 4 shots into 1.5 in at 35 ft two handed grip. For comparison my best group with the same ammo out of my Kimber is about 1.25 in.

All things considered I am very pleased with the PT 1911. Well worth the $540 that I paid for it. It is a big step up from the RIA, SA, Charles Daly, Hi Standards that I looked at. There are cheaper prices out there if you look hard enough. This was my first Internet purchase. I usually like to purchase locally, so I can fondle the gun before buying it. But couldn't find any local dealer that could keep one in stock long enough for me to buy it. I got mine thru Red's Trading Post in Twin Falls, ID. I highly recommend them, quick and very good service."

http://www.redstradingpost.com/

gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

A friend of mine bought one. He was an instructor in the USMC at the pistol range. He said it was a shootin' son of a gun.
    Semper Fi

My only regret about buying one is that I waited so long to do it.
    Shoots great out of the box 7 rounds at 10 yards, 5 X rings.

I'm not trying to bash Taurus here, because I happen to be very fond of them, but I have been hearing of issues of safety failure. Maybe someone else could eloborate further.

My gunsmith had a PT1911 in his cabinet for sale and as a customer was checking it out.... "click", with the safety engaged! My gunsmith could not believe it and checked for himself. Everytime it would dry fire with safety engaged. He did open her up, but I can't remember what he said he found as to the reason for the failure.

He told me this is the 3rd incident in our area, after he had contacted other local gun stores, having identical stories on the Taurus 1911.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Probley a bad safety under cut in the lug area that contacts the sear

I picked up a colt like that and had to fit a new safety anf no problems after that

Colt

I had a guy come in a couple of weeks ago with a Colt 1911 that he wanted to trade in for a Kimber.So we bought it,a couple of days later I went into the snail room to test fire it.I loaded it with 7 rounds and guess what,it fired 7 rounds in fully auto mode.And it is a semi!So strange things can happen even to the best of the manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by stalker_us2000 View Post
    I had a guy come in a couple of weeks ago with a Colt 1911 that he wanted to trade in for a Kimber.So we bought it,a couple of days later I went into the snail room to test fire it.I loaded it with 7 rounds and guess what,it fired 7 rounds in fully auto mode.And it is a semi!So strange things can happen even to the best of the manufacturers.
    Ya sure that wasn't just a home hack job?

I own 7 1911's and my PT1911 is as good as any of them. It has performed perfectly from first shot to my last shot. It gives an actual sensation of happiness to shoot it.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by stalker_us2000 View Post
    No sh#$! That' an interesting suprise. Would've loved to seen your face when you squeezed that trigger for the first round!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mag44laf View Post
    A friend of mine bought one. He was an instructor in the USMC at the pistol range. He said it was a shootin' son of a gun.
    Some are some aren't. Gun tests did not like one, others have posted great things.

The Taurus PT 1911 is on my short list, along with a his/her's S&W Model 40's.

Biker

Every intention of buying the next one I see in the store. I was saving for a Springfield Loaded (want a 5 inch with ambidex stock), but with the reviews I've been reading, my happiness with my Taurus revolver, and the price for the features, I don't see any reason not to try this one.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Links