Would like some suggestions

This is a discussion on Would like some suggestions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like some suggestions as to what may be a good firearm for concealed carry. Currently I own a Norinco Tokarev 9mm, but that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar

I would like some suggestions as to what may be a good firearm for concealed carry.

Currently I own a Norinco Tokarev 9mm, but that has some issues now. (FTC with every round fired or live ejected)

Looking for a good balance between reliability, and price as I am supporting my wife though college right now and money is very tight. Do any decent CC handguns exist in the price range of $300-$400?

Any suggestions would be apreciated. Thank you

Senior Moderator
    Lots in that price range.

I Carry a Taurus 605 everyday that I got for $350 new 4 years ago.

What do you want to carry ie revolver or auto, what caliber, concealibility a very big factor etc....?

You'll get lots of opinions here.

Go to a range that lets you rent or try used guns and see what you like best in your price range
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Moderator
    There's a lot of things to think about in terms of a carry gun..A lot of questions to ask yourself.

What kind of caliber range are you looking at?
    What are your thoughts or concerns when it comes to safety?
    Do you want a revolver or a semi auto?
    Single Action or Double Action?
    What is your body type and where and how will you most likely be carrying?

And on and on...

Think about these things when you handle those guns at the store and you'd be surprised how many decent guns you can find in your price range.

Good luck on your search.

If you are OK with used guns, you could pick up a used CZ for under $400 - I got my P-01 for $360 shipped:

It comes in 9mm, so ammo is relatively inexpensive. My P-01 has been supremely reliable, and is more accurate than I am. Many other CZ models can be had new for around $300-375 if you spend some time looking. There is also the Stoeger Cougar (made in Turkey; formerly made by Beretta) that should be within your price range.

Sounds like trading time. Bunch of CC options exist, especially if you consider a used handgun. Although they are relatively inexpensive, maybe a local gun shop will take your Tokarev as a trade in on something in the price range you are looking for.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

S&W 3913, used, without the luggage rack under the dustcover. They are typically in the price range you seek. Light weight, slim, superbly accurate, durable, and looks good doing all that. Good luck with your search. Regards 18DAI.

If you're ok with a .380 you should consider the Bersa Thunder.
    I bought one new for $250. Others on this forum indicate the are available for around $200. Do a search here and you'll find lots of good things said about this gun.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Kel Tek P11 will run in the $330- range. I prefer my Kahr Arms P9 but new they are over $500. You may want to check out the gun shops and shows for good used ones. I think they are the best for CC.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Depending on your CCW circumstances, you may want to consider a S & W J-frame or Taurus Mod. 85 (.38 Spcl.) or Taurus PT-111 (9MM).

I would go to a range that rents guns and shoot as many as you can. Find out what you feel comfortable with. I highly recommend a good .357 like the S&W 686, you can shoot cheaper 38 special rounds through it for practice and for the wife, but carry full house magnums for SD. A revolver is a good gun to learn good habits with, no safeties to worry about, mag releases etc, just aim and pull the trigger. Get what fits you and your needs not somebody elses. Once you narrow your search to type and caliber we can offer specific guns, but a general question like "what gun should I get" is going to get a lot of personal opinions, and what is the perfect gun for me might be the worse possible choice for you. Feel free to PM me with any ?
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I highly recommend a good .357 like the S&W 686, you can shoot cheaper 38 special rounds through it for practice and for the wife
    I read the original post several times and I can't find the part where he said he wants to shoot his wife.
    Not sure .38 is enough for 'wife' anyway, some of them wives are like bears, I wouldn't feel safe with anything less than .44 Magnum.

Anyway, to answer the question 'Do any decent CC handguns exist in the price range of $300-$400?'

Yes, Taurus make many options at that price and all are backed by a lifetime warranty.

VIP Member
    Glock! Pick your caliber then pick your size!

Hummmm... but that would put you over your price limit.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Glock! Pick your caliber then pick your size!

Hummmm... but that would put you over your price limit.
    Nah, the last 3 Glocks I bought were slightly used and I paid between $300 and $379 for them. Shop around and you can find great deals on them.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    You'll want one gun that can do it all since you won't have the option to change your gun based on how you dress or the weather. You also can get an adequate firearm for far less than your budget allows, especially if you're willing to go used. Even if you can afford $400, in your circumstances wouldn't $250 be better? I would also definitely go with a revolver if you're only going to be able to have one gun for now.

For new I'd pick one of the Taurus 5-round revolvers, the M85 or it's cousins. They come in both .38-only and .357-capable versions. The ability to shoot .357 rounds is nice, but .38's are perfectly adequate if you don't want to spend the difference.

For used I'd go Smith & Wesson. Any S&W revolver you find that doesn't look like it tumbled around in a toolbox for 5 years should be fine. Try to buy from a shop with a range and test the weapon out first if possible. A J-frame should do nicely, it will fit in the pocket of anything from shorts to dress slacks (with a good pocketholster) so you can take it anywhere without worrying about dressing around it. Stick a Bianchi Speed Strip in the other pocket and call it good.

There's a thread on The High Road that describes how to identify a good used revolver:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=1430

For revolvers I'm really a Ruger fan. Problem is, Ruger revolvers are a bit heavy and can be expensive. If you can find a used SP101 in your price range that would be great, but it will be a tad heavier than an equivelent Taurus or S&W and you probably won't be able to pocket carry it. It will also outlast the Sun.

If you're stuck on an autoloading pistol the only one I can recommend in your price range is a Bersa Thunder 380. They are very good guns for the price, my wife just bought one and really likes it, but you're giving up lots of capability dropping to the .380 round. They're also pretty large guns for the caliber. They do make a CC version that is quite small, but I'm not sure how much they cost... and you won't find many of the CC's used they're fairly new.

You could also look at the Taurus Millenium Pro series. They're small and you can get up to a .45 in that pistol if you want. Make sure you get the Millenium PRO not just Millenium... the plain Milleniums are an older version that had some problems. Many people have great things to say about the Pros however.
    Last edited by tanksoldier; March 22nd, 2007 at 07:41 PM.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I personally do not have a preference between revolvers or autos. (Although my wife only likes single action on a revolver.) As for my CC needs I live in downtown Raleigh and work as a chef at a private dorm at NCSU. While this is not the worst neighborhood around it is far from great either. Far more gangs of hoodlims than reported by the news/police. (crystal meth/ crack real problem in my city, also had some Drug enforcement officers killed by Ricin about 4 years ago or so) So any weapon I would like to carry would be a minimum of .38 special and have a quick reload ability. My wife is proficient in the use of pistols in the 9mm/.380 range and probally could handle a .357 easily with practice. Any gun I get I would like to hand down to her once she becomes more comfortable with the idea of conceal carry for herself. So that I may move up to a .45. Currently I or a friend transport her when she has class/work after dark but once she finishes with school that will no longer be an option (She works in downtown Boy/girl club).

Reliability (both in function/ effectiveness) are my main priorities so if there are some good choices that are outside of my stated price range I would like to hear them as well if possible.

While money is tight, Safety is infinitely more important.

Thank you all again for your help so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links