Sig Sauer 1911

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does any one here have any experience with the new 1911 pattern pistols from Sig Sauer? I'm considering upgrading my Para-Ordinance SSP to the Sig ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer 1911

Sig Sauer 1911

Does any one here have any experience with the new 1911 pattern pistols from Sig Sauer? I'm considering upgrading my Para-Ordinance SSP to the Sig version.

Two key questions: compared to other 1911s how does it shoot? and will it fit in a standard 1911 pattern holster?

Thanks,
    AE

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I just purchased a Sig 1911 STX. Its a great pistol. I have put about 500 rounds through it and it has performed really well. I have shot Winchester White Box, Monarch and Corbon Powerballr ammo through it. I did not have very good luck with the Monarch. However, the WWB and the Corbon shot flawlessly. I really like the trigger on this pistol and the accuracy is better than my Kimber Ultra Carry (which I would expect since the Ultra is a compact). As for holsters, it fits my existing 1911 holsters. I have heard some issues with the Sig 1911's not fitting normal 1911 holsters but this has not been a problem with Safariland and Galco holsters.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Run a search on it's name; 'GSR'.
    There was a thread on this like 3 weeks ago where I myself added detail toward my own ownership experience with a Gen 1 GSR.

CN: It's a very fine weapon, crazy accurate and a good buy even at straight retail...which I did not pay. It will not fit a standard 1911 holster because it's slide profile and frame with rail is not a 1911 standard. There are specific holsters for it like anything else.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

From what i have read it fits some holsters others it wont More towards no with the custom holsters

Also do a search of the 1911 forums as some people have had good luck lots haven't from what i have read its to scary to even try and for the $$$ i would look toward a springer / colt/ and even kimber instead

Lead Moderator
    I remember reading over on SIGForum that the GSR's had problems when they first came out. I think most of the early problems have been ironed out by now though.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

One of the guys I shoot with in our local pistol league has one of the newer 2nd generation guns. It went back to SIG two weeks ago after having FTFs and then hammer following issues AFTER his 1st 1000 rounds. During the 1st 1000 rounds he had some FTFs but considered it to be a break-in issue. He just got it back and brought it to the our match last night. He again started having FTF issues and his was with REM 230 grn HB.

I lent him some of my TRIP Cobra mags and the problem went away. At the end of the evening he went though a bunch of his mags rapid fire and it didn’t have a problem. Time will tell……..

After seeing a couple of them now, I’d look elsewhere.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Yep, the very first and early shipiing models (year one) had some production problems though even that was not anywhere near the majority of units shipped and they have largely been repaired/replaced (as mine was).
    The second and third production year GSR's had those items resolved and the current 'GSR Revolution' (Gen 2) are solid with no reported issues.

There was far more hater hype ("OMG! It's got a rail and it's slide profile is different...it's not a 'true' 1911!!1") and repetition of as much by folk had more traction than the fact of the matter that the weapon is a very fine item, and super shooter. Very many owners are quietly happy with them.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

There been problems with the later generations also ive read up enough to know the first runs were crap and the new ones have a bad rap to from problems

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    the current 'GSR Revolution' (Gen 2) are solid with no reported issues.- Janq
    Jang, got some news for ya, the one I saw choke last night was a 2nd generation, and that was after a trip back to SIG.

I guess that's Report #1.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I own one of the second generation GSR's, it is accurate and reliable. I have heard internet horror stories, but never seen one malf.

What I find interesting is that I never see one for sale used at either gun stores or shows. If they had a lot of crappy guns that Sig couldn't fix, used ones would be everywhere.

Agreed Autofan.

The internet was/is rife with reports, and reports of reports, of items with problems yet go try to find one used and they aren't exactly everywhere or being offiered for dimes on the dollar. Even today.
    As well SigArms isn't exactly having lling thm and have upon customer demand greatly expansded the line to now include a wide ranging assortment of GSR variants to fit what seems to be every possible desire and interest.

As to the one you saw Chuck I can think of no manufacturer that hasn't had single cases of manfacutred items without an example or even batch with a problem. It happens but that alone doesn't make a whole line to be problematic or problem prone, especially when a vast and largely silent majority reports nothing if not being satisfied.

I personally would buy another GSR without a second thought with my own money at straight retail even, if I could only justify buying yet another 1911. :p
    I have zero qualms in suggesting as much to others, and BTW my own required zero break in. Pull the trigger and bang, repeat...bang x many many boxes of varying target and carry ammo.

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; March 26th, 2007 at 01:14 PM.

My Gen 1 GSR locked up after 24 rounds. I sent it back to SIG and they lost it in their facility for a week. After I finally got it back it was very smooth and reliable. Almost as smooth as my Les Baer.
    I sold it because I didn't like the grip safety and it was going to be more expensive to replace it than say on a Springer or a Colt and I just was not impressed with SIGs CS.

My GSR is the one Chuck is referring to. After hiccupping the other night, it seems to be running okay <knock on wood> I ran it through 2 USPSA stages Friday (~50 rds or so) without incident. I've ordered a half dozen Tripp mags for it, and after seeing how the Tripp Cobra mag presents the round for chambering, I'm holding out hope that that will be the end of it.

However, what gives me pause, is that I didn't have any problems until well after the 1000 rd. mark. I never get too concerned about feeding issues in a 1911 in the first few hundred rounds - I had a couple 3 point jams in the first range outing, and no more until it started hammer following and FTF'ing and had to be sent back.

I've always considered anything past 500 trouble free rounds or so to be reliable, and after 1000 rounds, I would consider it fully proven out. So, when mine went Tango Uniform at the 1000+ mark, I was flabbergasted. Now when should I consider it trustworthy? 2K rounds? 5K? 10K?

I know a lot of people take a gun out once a year and put a box of ammo through it, and that's that. I'm now thinking that 1000 may be the bare minimum round count for proving out a carry gun.

I still really like the gun, and unless I have more major troubles with it, I plan to hang on to it. But, I don't really feel I can trust it on the street any time soon.

My personal experience, combined with the number of other reported problems with the GSR, would prevent me from recommending one as a carry weapon.

Joe

Joe,

Why are you not using the stock mags?
    In addition I've got four McCormick 8 rd. 'Powermag' and 6 Wilson 7 rd. mags and I've had zero problems with any of the three in mine. I've not used a Tripp mag yet.

- Janq

I've got the two Checkmates that came with it, 2 CMC Shooting Stars and a handful of the Targetsports Inc. mags.

I got the Target Sports mags 'cause they were cheap. One of them won't drop free, so it's become my Barney mag. Otherwise, I haven't had any problems with them - although they seldom get used unless I'm on a really high round count stage.

I've had the most trouble with my CMC Shooting Star mags - due in part, I'm sure, to the fact that I like the large base pad for quick reloads and they are my first two reload mags. I still think they have a higher than acceptable failure ratio, so they will definitely be relegated to "failure drill" generating mags.

I lost one of the Sig Checkmates a couple weeks ago, but it or its mate was always the mag I start a stage with. I've had less problems with these mags than the CMC, but still a few hitches.

I ran Chuck's Cobra mags for 3 or 4 stages with absolutely no problems - and he's put tens of thousands of rounds through them without a single failure.

That night, I also dumped 2 Cobramags, 2 CMC mags, 2 TargetSports mags, and my remaining Checkmate mag just as fast as I could, with no problems. Other than just about raising a blister on my butt when I reholstered - and the realization that I'd just blown about $12 in as many seconds!

Here's some interesting reading on the Tripps: http://www.trippresearch.com/tech/tech.htm. I should have them later this week, I'll give them a several hundred round workout over the next couple weeks and see how they do.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links