tyler t-grip

This is a discussion on tyler t-grip within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; my carry gun is an older SW model 36 chief's special. as an older gun, it has a good point (excellent finish and trigger) and ...

Thread: tyler t-grip

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar

tyler t-grip

my carry gun is an older SW model 36 chief's special. as an older gun, it has a good point (excellent finish and trigger) and a "bad" point (teeny tiny original wood grip). so i just bought and installed a tyler t-grip. so far, i like it, but i have had limited time with it. it does look cool, in my opinion. however, i bought it for better control, not looks. the installation is completely reversible. my questions are:
    1. does anybody use them/swear by them on smaller frame revolvers?
    2. do they come loose? this seems possible, but no problems yet, but I have had only the briefest use of it.
    thanks.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

2. Remove Ads

Have a Tyler T on my 649 which I carry everyday and have since 1995 when I bought it. It's been my backup/off duty/covert gun. I've beat that little gun pretty hard carrying it in all kinds of conditions and places. Have never had a problem with the Tyler T coming loose or causing any kind of problem.
    Also have Tyler Ts on my 2.5" Mod 19 and a 6" Mod 28.

VIP Member
    I have two close friends who both have Tyler T's on their J-Frame S&Ws. Both swear by them and have had no problems. In fact one was showing off his Tyler T on his carry gun to me just yesterday.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I have always wondered about these, but why not just buy a Hogue grip for it, seems like it would be about the same width.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I use one on most of my revolvers but as of late, I installed one on my 637 which is with me most of the time. I had it on my 638 until I installed CT LG-405's on it. I like them because you can retain the concealability of the wood grips and still give yourself more to hang on to. I also like the way that they look.
    If we treat every gun as if it was loaded, then why not treat every individual as if they are armed.

I use one for my carry S&W M37 with smooth service grips. I prefer this setup to all the rubber grips (even though I really like to shoot the Hogue Bantams). The reason I like it is because it gives me the most compact, easiest to draw from concealment, and easy to shoot grip combination. This includes the CT-305s. I haven't tried the CT-405s but will soon, so they could change my opinion.

However, revolver grips are like preferred music. Everyone has different tastes. Mine just tends toward the T-Grip/Service Stock setup.

By the way mine have never loosened.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    I have always wondered about these, but why not just buy a Hogue grip for it, seems like it would be about the same width.
    Those "in the know" carry J frames with a Tyler, and a Barami hip-grip. (Only half joking) The only down side to the rubber grips, like Hogue, is that they like to catch and hold the covering clothing. YMMV, but the few times I carried a 686, with Hogues, I used a leather jacket to cover for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Those "in the know" carry J frames with a Tyler, and a Barami hip-grip. (Only half joking) The only down side to the rubber grips, like Hogue, is that they like to catch and hold the covering clothing.
    +1...I use a Barami and a Tyler-T on my Taurus 85.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Member Array Detachment_Charlie's Avatar

Thumbs up

I was raised using a Tyler T-Grip. Dad was a detective. Here's the one S&W that I have that was his (and I still carry it now and again).
    Attached Images
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

Lead Moderator
    My dad has one on a K frame. I think it changes the grip too much for my taste, but heck if it works for ya.....................
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I grew up using the T-Grips.

That said, I still use them today, sometimes. If I need more concealability I add them to the factory stocks, otherwise I use Hogue's.

Biker

Links