Price for S&W Model 36 ????

This is a discussion on Price for S&W Model 36 ???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Freind has what apears in a picture to be a Mdl.36 S&W. I haven't seen it for a few years but from what I ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Price for S&W Model 36 ????

My Freind has what apears in a picture to be a Mdl.36 S&W. I haven't seen it for a few years but from what I remember and seeing the picture it looks good. She needs some cash and wants $150. For it. I think it's worth $300. Anybody bought one lately? What did you have to pay?
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

150 is a great deal esp if a old girl and locks up good .. Love the ones I have handled ..Classic police gun ..

Flat latch or latter latch?

Do it !
    5lima30ret likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    150 is a great deal esp if a old girl and locks up good .. Love the ones I have handled ..Classic police gun ..

It's not the flat latch. Wish it was. I think it has to be around 15 years old. I'll get it Friday and check the date. I don't think I can go wrong. I will give more than $150 if is as nice as I remember. I don't want to rip her off.
    gasmitty, TSKnight and Recon1342 like this.

[QUOTE=Haywood;4000391]
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post

It's not the flat latch. Wish it was. I think it has to be around 15 years old. I'll get it Friday and check the date. I don't think I can go wrong. I will give more than $150 if is as nice as I remember. I don't want to rip her off.
    That sounds good ... They are sweet guns
    PhaedrusIV likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

KSP
    Can't go wrong with a model 36. I'd always buy one in decent shape for under 300, no matter how many I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar
    I recently bought a nice late 70's pinned 36 with just a bit of holster wear for $375. Maybe too much, but it has great lock-up and cylinder gap.
    Recon1342 likes this.

VIP Member
    Dash number and barrel length? Original grips?

If it's a snub nose, very good condition can fetch over $400; fair price for a good condition is in the $300 - $400 range, depending on dash, barrel length, etc. Three inch barrels fetch about a $25 premium over snubbies.

A fairly priced $150 Model 36 is one that has been dragged behind a truck and used as a boat anchor; in other words, your friend either doesn't know what she's got or is really desperate for the money and wants to move the gun.

If the gun is in very good condition (some wear, no pitting), has proper carry up and locks in DA prior to the hammer fall, no push off, and is otherwise mechanically sound, a $300 payment is a good deal for the buyer. Pay her a solid premium over her ask and you walk away with a very good buy and both parties are happy.

The price for my sage advice is pics of the purchase if you buy it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Snag it!
    PhaedrusIV and xXxplosive like this.
    FIDE ET FORTITUDINE

If it's functional, that's a wonderful price. S&W is still making the 36 in their Classics line, and MSRP is $750. Of course a used gun will go for much less than that, but they're not cheap throwaways.
    Recon1342 likes this.
    "...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure."

– Captain Bellamy

If it was in good shape, I'd pay $300, easily. (I've been eyeballing them for awhile, though)
    Last edited by Recon1342; December 2nd, 2015 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Punctuation...
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Velocity is temporary, mass is forever...

Buy it! My first back-up gun I bought as a rookie cop from a retiring Detective was a square butt Mod 36 for the princely sum of $75! It was kinda beat-up from being carried in an ankle holster. Good luck and enjoy it!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO Pistol Permit, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified
    Active Fraternal Order of Police member
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Thanks everyone.

Today's going rate $300 for snubbie in good shape.

If she's really a friend, give her $250 as a win-win.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Well, I got it. I looked it over cleaned and checked, put it under the spot light. Near as we can figure it had less than a box of ammo shot through it. She bought it for a off duty gun. She tried it at the Police Range. She may have carried once. I would rate it at 99 to 98% but, I don't know how to rate it. I'm positive if I told the average person it was brand new only tested at the factory, they would believe me. No box, darn, but that's ok. It's so nice I hate to put finger prints on it let alone shoot it. That's not me. When the novelty wears off maybe. I think with differenpt Grips the Wife would want it. Shouldn't have let her see it. 2 cheep holsters and the balance of the original ammo were included. As soon as I saw it I told here it was made in 1981. Model 36 no dash pinned barrel. I think it's worth every bit of $400 maybe more if you wanted to play on the Auction. She said no, $150. I gave here $300 and She said NO!! She kept $180. That's it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Price for S&W Model 36 ????-image.jpg  

TSKnight, SatCong, PEF and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links