Rifle in the trunk

Rifle in the trunk

This is a discussion on Rifle in the trunk within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With active shooter scenarios growing I was wondering how many people keep a rifle in their car? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree287Likes

Thread: Rifle in the trunk

Rifle in the trunk

With active shooter scenarios growing I was wondering how many people keep a rifle in their car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    never.... It does me no good if I am inside in such a situation, and if I am outside, I am not going in to purposely get involved, unless there is an extremely mitigating circumstance. So for me, a rifle in your car is just a tool you most likely wont be able to use, and should someone steal your car, a tool that is now in the hands of a BG
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

If I can get to my car, I'm out!
    OldVet, Goldy49, drift and 14 others like this.

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    I have a nice corner spot next to my office hutch for a gun safe. Might be a nice Christmas present to myself. Otherwise I CC at my office. We've had some rogue employee threats (mostly from hourly temps mfg jobs, heck one temp agent was using some convicted felons!!, dropped him quickly) but including one hothead mgr that threatened to shoot up the place. Thank goodness its been a couple years since canning him (and filing police report) and he hasn't done anything and has probably moved on to threatening others.

But otherwise, the one reason to have one in your car might be if you are stranded in your car during some violent uprising. It doesn't take much of a mob to shut down a highway or streets as evidenced by many recent protests in varying cities, if they were terroristic and violent it'd be a bad thing. Obviously there is a scenario to justify most anything. That's a personal choice everyone has to make as there are tradeoffs/risks to mitigate with every choice.

Honestly, I thought about it, but if it were to be a big, organized shooting scene, like in Paris, the parking lot would be an ideal place for their outside people to be waiting. If I can get outside, the plan is to just go to ground in the most defensible position I can find.
    UrsusMedius likes this.

Only when hunting. Its on the passenger seat beside me. I used to carry one in the tool box 24/7. I am going to do enough to get out of the situation till the guys in uniform arrive.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Senior Moderator
    In 1966, it wasn't unusual: 96 Minutes - Texas Monthly

One of the earliest "active shooter" situations to get widespread news media coverage.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Unless you are LE, grabbing a long gun from a trunk and heading into an active shooter situation is just adding another target for LE to engage.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    I make it to my vehicle, I make my escape. SWAT can deal with the shooter(s).
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon at large.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Unless you are LE, grabbing a long gun from a trunk and heading into an active shooter situation is just adding another target for LE to engage.
    Yeah, any hopped up responder may not ask friend or foe first when encountering a civvy with a rifle in hand. I'd think that is an issue with unmarked/undercover responders at the scene too. What is L.E. protocol for that? look for a badge around the neck?
    Bar99 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Unless! You inform LE that you are a Concealed Carrier and have a weapon on-board that is broke down and unloaded, and they see you assemble it and ready it for action. They may consider you to assist them. Maybe, sorta-kinda. I don't know...because at that point, all you want to do is assist your citizen LEO. What do you think? GO, NO-GO?
    "Threat assessment and situational awareness seems to be the order of the day.
    Why wouldn't physical and mental preparedness be any less of a consideration?"- dmitchsr

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    >>>>ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<<<<

Senior Moderator
    I would suggest it might depend on where one lives and works. Out in the mountains or in the woods one might actually find comfort in a long gun under the seat. In Baltimore or Detroit, one might want two or more. In other areas, it might be more of a liability than an asset.

It just depends on the circumstances.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"A man without ethics is a wild beast loosed upon the world" Albert Camus

"Hillary, a woman without ethics, is a wild beast loosed upon the world" Rock and Glock

Distinguished Member Array CalCarry's Avatar
    exactly!

Distinguished Member Array drift's Avatar
    I have a pump gun in my trunk. I guess I don't need it now, what with me carrying. I always had one in the trunk in case I hit something in my travels and need to take care of it humanly.
    PAcanis and Recon1342 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by drift View Post
    I have a pump gun in my trunk. I guess I don't need it now, what with me carrying. I always had one in the trunk in case I hit something in my travels and need to take care of it humanly.
    Lots of folks seem to forget there is more than one reason to carry a gun.
    drift, CIBMike, Recon1342 and 3 others like this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links