Got me another Bersa

Got me another Bersa

This is a discussion on Got me another Bersa within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at the local Academy store buying some baseball gear for my kids Wednesday and decided to go to the check-out area by way ...

Got me another Bersa

I was at the local Academy store buying some baseball gear for my kids Wednesday and decided to go to the check-out area by way of the gun counter. As I walked up, the salesman was just putting a new Bersa Ultra Compact 9 in the display counter. I was a little surprised since they haven't had UC's in stock in over two years. Anyway, he knows I have a fondness for Bersa's (I already own 5 of them) and asked if I'd like to check it out before he placed it in the case. I broke it down, played with the slide and frame a bit and said it looks like it's ready to go. I also noticed it had two dot rear sights compared to the usual "U" sight found on the big caliber Bersa's.

I worked the slide and safety/decocker a few more times, did a few dry fires at the target on the wall and asked how much they wanted for it. The salesman said $350 and I asked how many do you have. He told me, "I have two in stock". After a moment or two I said, "Well, now you only have one. I'll take this one".

FYI, while I was doing the paperwork on my new gun, a couple came up looking for a Bersa 380. The clerk said they sold the last 380 they had in stock a few days earlier, but he had two Bersa 9mm's in stock, the other UC-9 and a full size model. They looked at the Compact, asked a few questions, looked at MY UC and asked why I was buying it. I told them I already owned one (and a UC-45) and thought it was the best compact pistol I've seen, bar none. I've owned one for a number of years and would have gotten another before now if I could find one and get it at a reasonable price (I paid $280 for my first one and I've seen them go for over $400 on the web, not including shipping and transfer charges). They looked at the gun for a few minutes and then told the salesman they'd take it. Two sales in 10 minutes and the guns never even made it to the display case! Now you see why it's taken so long to get a second pistol.

Well, we finished the necessary paperwork and I was out the door in 5 minutes. FWIW, having a Texas CC permit sure speeds things up when you buy a gun here. Since I've owned another UC-9 for several years now, I already have plenty of spare mags, holsters and a CAT laser that will fit all my Ultra Compacts, so I was set to go as soon as I could give my new baby the once over.

I took my new UC-9 to the range today (Friday) for a little workout. Before I went, I stripped the gun down, cleaned it, sighted it in with my bore sighting laser (it saves a lot of time and ammo at the range) and generally checked the gun over. All looked well with the pistol and I went to my local gun range just after lunch. This is how things went on the guns first time out.

First, I took 150 rounds of ammo (a mix of CCI Blazer, WWB and Monarch FMJ) and three factory magazines (two 13 rd and a 10 rd) to the range. I placed the target at a little under 20' for starters and loaded a 13 rd mag. I fired three shots off hand and all were about 1" low and to the left. I fired three more shots with the same results. I next moved the front sight to cover the "X" and just to the right of the target and fired another three shots. This time all rounds hit in the black. I next emptied the magazine and all shots were in the black. I had originally sighted the gun in with the bore sighting laser at almost 50", so that may explain why it was slightly off center. A few taps with a mallet after I got home to the rear sight took care of the "fine tuning".

I loaded the other 13 rd mag and repeated the procedure with the same results as the first one, only this time all shots were in the black. Using the last magazine (the 10 shot), I tried some shots at two metal targets used by the action shooters at 100 ft. All 10 shots hit the targets - 18" x 36" silhouettes - with a nice "plink". I reloaded all three magazines and tried a mix of paper target and silhouettes. Same results as before. By then, I was up to almost 75 rounds with no failures or problems of any kind and planned to fire the rest of the ammo, but I was at an outdoor range and it began to rain, so I emptied the last magazine - the 10 rd - by shooting two sets of 5 shots (one at the paper and one at the silhouettes) as fast as I could pull the trigger. All shots hit where aimed and there were no problems with the guns function.

In summary, my new UC-9 performed like a champ. It hit where it was aimed and ate everthing I put in it (at least the 80+ rds I shot today) without a burp or hitch of any kind. Even if the first half dozen "tune-up" shots are included, all the 50+ shots fired at the paper target fit into an area smaller than a saucer. It actually became difficult to see where I was hitting after 20 or so shots because I had already shot out most of the targets center and was placing shots in the same holes. I broke the gun down after I got home and aside from some powder residue around the chamber and extractor, there was no noticable wear on the gun.

The bottom line is this was a break-in and fact finding trip to the range. I wanted to see how the gun shot and if there were any areas that needed attention by me or the factory. From what I can tell, this gun doesn't need anything other than more ammo and targets. This little UC-9 is definately going to be a keeper!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Great report, I've been wanting a UC-9 also. I've got two Bersas; a thunder 380 and the thunder 380 "CC". Great guns for the money. I'm surprised more folks don't have one.
    DarkEarth
    Luke 22:36: " If thou hast no sword, sell thy cloak and buy one."

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Everybody must have one, because at least around here you can't find the darn things.

At the Cossroads of the West gunshow in Denver a few weekends back we found ONE Bersa .380, very well used, and it was a plastic grip model. Just happened to luck out and walk into a gunstore that had the woodgrip model (RMSS in Ft Collins for those in the area), almost NIB. We bought it.

Was in Jensen Arms the other day and they had 3, and 1 CC model, went back a few days later and they had sold the CC and had 1 of the regular .380's left.

I need to buy stock in Bersa.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkEarth View Post
    Great report, I've been wanting a UC-9 also. I've got two Bersas; a thunder 380 and the thunder 380 "CC". Great guns for the money. I'm surprised more folks don't have one.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Assistant Administrator
    Glad you like it Bob ........ mine which I bought from dr_cmg is I find an excellent gun. Some claim it's a bit large and heavy for a UC but I like it's feel. I hope to get wife transitioned to that from her current Bersa .380.

I was teaching a Basic Pistol today and couple of ladies tried mine and all but fell in love with it despite their hands being relatively small.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The UC-9 is my favorite 9mm, period. If I could only keep one 9mm pistol for all purposes, it would be my UC-9. Also, Bersa's compact 45 (now that the kinks are worked out) is as good a "small" 45 as you're likely to find. Actually, I think Bersa's in all incarnations are one of the best kept secrets in pistols you'll find available today and are long overdue for the recognition they deserve.

FYI, according to someone I know who works for Bersa, there is a Concealed Carry version of the UC guns in the works (like the CC version of Bersa's T-380) and it should be a HOT seller when they finally hit the market. He didn't give a release date, but I'd guess not over a year from the way he was talking. It should be worth waiting for!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Links