Bought a Kel-Tec P3AT Today

This is a discussion on Bought a Kel-Tec P3AT Today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Picked it up today with a some of my tax refund money. I got it for $270 out the door. It is OD green and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought a Kel-Tec P3AT Today

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar

Bought a Kel-Tec P3AT Today

Picked it up today with a some of my tax refund money. I got it for $270 out the door. It is OD green and the slide is the hard chrome finish.

I took it immediately to the indoor range in town. I know I should have taken it home first and cleaned it but I didn't. I fired a total of 90 rounds through it today. 50 rounds were Remington Green Box FMJ's. I had 3 Faliures to Feed. I just tapped the slide and they went into battery. I also shot 40 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 90gr. GDHP. All of these functioned flawlessly until the last round which stovepiped. Accuracy was not great but it was acceptable for defensive purposes. I shot all 90 rounds at 7 yards.

Quite frankly, this thing is not fun to shoot. I have a blister between my thumb and first finger. I never thought a .380 would have so much recoil but since this pistol only ways 8 ounces or so you really feel it.

I am going to break it down tonight and clean it throughly. I am also going to try to do the Fluff and Buff. I don't know how I can polish the feed ramp though without a dremel tool. Any suggestions?

I am going to try to put another 100 or so rounds through it again. If the F and B doesn't help, it will go back to Kel-Tec.

What I do like about the gun is the size. Once the hiccups are cleared this will be my always gun. I can carry it in my pocket all day at home. Now I have no excuse not to carry at home. I also will use it as a BUG with the SIG P228.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Quite frankly, this thing is not fun to shoot. I have a blister between my thumb and first finger.
    haha.

welcome to the club

Administrator
    You can use a standard drill instead of a dremel. It will take longer, but it works.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Hello, Doc nice to meet ya! keltec has the best user group website
    here is link to fluff & buff and every tricked out deal you can do to your new gun,
    http://www.ktog.org
    http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks12a.htm
    http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks10.htm
    I have the .32 for many years & loves silvertips
    for the money & lightweight it hard to beat do have a P11 & did a fluff
    and buff, even have have that 40s&w kit no limp wristing when using
    the 40s&w's or it will stove pipe bit p11 is a great gun for A BACKUP
    CLOSE IN AND NOT LEFT AT HOME BECAUSE IT IS TO HOT OUT OR
    TO HEAVY IN PANT.

I WILL BUY THE 380 WHEN I CAN GET A GREAT DEAL AT A SHOW OR STORE HAVE FUN DOC YOU WILL FALL IN LOVE WITH IT WHEN YOUN HAVE TOME TO GET IT DIALED IN!!!

Manny blesings to you and yours from the great north west

http://www.ktog.org
    http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks12a.htm
    http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks10.htm

Good luck with your new Keltec. Shooting 90 Rds in day, will give you blisters. Not meant for target practice. It is a gun to carry much more than to be shot. The F&B and bit more use should wear everything in so it functions smoothly & reliably for you. Mine were both good with just a little range time. My P3AT is with me all the time I'm awake & dressed. My P32 is now a BUG to my other carry guns and may soon spend time as my wife's companion.
    Last edited by sass20485; March 25th, 2007 at 06:41 PM.

They Are Not Fun To Shoot...

but mine has been real dependable...I still shoot with it semi-regularly to make sure it still works...
    I only use it for beach days, backyards, and lazy days...or when you positively have to be barely dressed (FL), but armed.

Congrats on the new 'little fella'...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

They really are great, mine (2nd. Gen.) has never had a miss feed.. I like Rem. silver tips,, only problem is sometimes I have to check to see if it's on me. sooo lite. enjoy.

I have almost 1,000 rounds through mine and it has been 100% flawless. When I first bought it, I took it to the range and put 100 rounds through it without any problems. Chances are that you DON'T need a F&B, the slide not returning to battery was more a lubricant issue than a problem with the pistol. And the stove piping was likely a shooter induced problem rather than the gun. I would suggest cleaning and lubricating it and then having at least another range session to get 200 rounds through it before you decide to start polishing anything. I feel that breaking it in by running a few more rounds through it will do more for it than anything else.
    If we treat every gun as if it was loaded, then why not treat every individual as if they are armed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    Good luck with your new Keltec. Shooting 90 Rds in day, will give you blisters. Not meant for target practice. It is a gun to carry much more than to be shot.
    Most Kel Tec P3AT's will perform better if cleaned every 50 rounds or after each range session. I have a 1st generation that has no problems but I keep it lubed with Rem Oil and grease the rails. I know there will be differing opinions on the cleaning and kind of lube but this works for me. As mentioned KTOG has a vast amount of info and people willing to help if needed.
    Last edited by deadeye111; March 24th, 2007 at 11:29 PM. Reason: edited for clarification.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    PLEASE GO EASY ON THE DREMEL OR DRILL!!! A little goes a long way but if you have a felt tip for the dremel, the one that looks like a 9mm bullet nose, it's perfect for the feed ramp. If you don't use a rolled up piece of 600 grit sandpaper; just roll it into a tube that has the same basic curvature as the feedramp and ONLY rub in the direction the bullet feets. Don't "twist" it.

The dremel with felt tip and a little jewelers rouge works great. I'd not use the drill.

God Bless
    Gideon

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I clean my firearms after everytime they are shot at the range. I use Rem-Oil as well. When I took the pistol apart it was very fouled up and dry. I suspect that it was a lack of lubrication that caused the FTFs and it needs to be broken in. The action is pretty tight. I am going to wait before I do a fluff and buff until I can get back to the range in a couple of days and see what happens. The pistol is in a cheap Uncle Mike's pocket holster right now as I write this. It is so light and that is what I really do love about this "little mule".
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Mine is accurate. At the range today I was hitting a head-sized target at 55 yards 4 out of 6 times off an improvised rest. Put some rounds through it and let her settle in. I have had a lot of people shoot mine and even new shooters who badly limp-wrist it do not have falures. All but one shooter loved it: a guy who shoots a lot. Go figure!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I purchased one of those Keltecs a couple weeks ago. As you did, I learned the gun isn't particularly fun to shoot more than 20 rounds or so (still wear the scab on my thumb from the slide. I hope changing my grip will solve this). I shot 100 rounds the first outing and 60 the next for the purpose of breaking the gun in and checking for problems. Like you, I had failure to go into battery rather regularly. This was not due to a lack of lube because I cleaned and lubed it before each session. I wasn't limp-wristing either. I have not polished the ramp but I intend to. I did find my gun to be surprisingly accurate.

I am not impressed with the quality of workmanship in this weapon, and I see one spot which galled a bit under the slide in my first 100 rounds (I will smooth this out). Nonetheless, I do like the pistol for what it is, and it is what I expected. I mean, there aren't many options for a very small and light weight 380. Sometimes other people suggest other preferences, but they end up being significantly heavier or larger. Just a little more weight or size is a huge percentage difference in a gun this small, and significant when you want a pocket pistol. If I can solve the feed issue, the gun will be perfect for my intened use, which is to eliminate my excuses for not carrying much more frequently.

Administrator
    Cloudy, go on over to ktog and read up on the "fluff and buff". That should help your problem.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Welcome to the Kel-tec club! Just a light fluff and buff with a good cleaning and lubing should smooth things out.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links