Ambi Safety Wipe-Offs ?

Ambi Safety Wipe-Offs ?

This is a discussion on Ambi Safety Wipe-Offs ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All I am considering adding to the 1911 collection - probably a Springer. I am enamored of multiple Springer models, and perhaps I'm being ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ambi Safety Wipe-Offs ?

Ambi Safety Wipe-Offs ?

Hi All

I am considering adding to the 1911 collection - probably a Springer. I am enamored of multiple Springer models, and perhaps I'm being foolish, thus the inquiry:

Although I AM well-aware of the purpose and benefits, I am still just a bit "leery" of ambidextrous thumb safeties on 1911-style pistols.

I am dominant R-handed. CCW mode is almost exclusively strong-side IWB under a covering garment.
    I am "quite active" and CCW both on-off job and you could essentially say I CCW 24-7-365. For reasons I need not go into here that sometimes even includes while sleeping in full, normal attire.

My major concern is what (some) say is a greater propensity for the right side ambi thumb safety to become accidentally or inadvertently wiped into the "off-safe" position while holstered from something or anything contacting the outboard, R side thumb safety lever.

What I would like to know / hear from other Members is their own personal experience i. e. has this ever happened to you and, in your collective opinions, how much of a real "concern" might this be, if at all?

Perhaps as a secondary question, does anyone know whether or not the SA 1911 ambi-equipped models are available (perhaps via their Custom Shop?) with single, LH thumb safety alone?

Thanks in advance to any & all respondents.

I am left handed, so I have to have an ambi. If I wasn't, I don't think I'd have one. One less thing to bother with-no depending on the thing to stay tight, no depending on a grip panel or a special pin to keep it in place and no concern like you express. That being said, I have not ever had my useless "outboard" LEFT side safety accidentally wiped off. But that is just one man's limited experience, not any form of guarantee. I have 3 different 1911s and each one's safety requires more or less force than the others to put in the on or off position.
    You can have a single side safety fitted after purchase for very little if you buy something with an ambi on it and decide you don't like it. I guess you could order one that way from SA but a bet a local 'smith would be much cheaper.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Look for a holster that traps the thumb safety. My Brommeland MaxConV does. I have a couple of 1911s that have ambi's and the MCV keeps them from being swiped off. It also helps that their tension seems to be high enough to keep that from happening as well.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

lefty also never had a problem i have knocked it off while doing something but not had clothes snag or hand brush it and knock it off safe this was a car door that did mine

Assistant Administrator
    My only carry experience with an ambi is what I have on my BHP .... and the detent was sufficiently positive that I didn't reckon a swipe on right side would move it at all easily - certainly not like the intended swipe in use, on left side.

I did however before carrying con #1 do a careful test run with empty gun just to see how easily, or not - it was to influence it on right side.

I would tho with any ambi want to do the same, to satisfy self for confidence' and safety' sake.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Replaced my ambi safety

I am right handed, and have one 1911 for carry that came originally with an ambi safety - a Kimber CDP Pro. It also had a fairly long lever on the safety, such that it didn't take much force on the end of the lever to release the safety, from either the right or left side.

The thought of an accidental "swipe off" bothered me, so I removed the ambi safety and replaced it with a traditional single sided Colt safety from my parts box, which has a short lever. It is much stiffer than the Kimber safety and takes more force to release it, which is what I like. It also made the gun a little thinner in that area, which is also good.

Here is a picture of the Kimber with the Colt safety:

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    On the RARE occasion when your strong hand is Disabled , you
    can still disengage the safety ( albeit more slowly )

I don't think an ambi is necessary unless you're a lefty.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member
    I'm a righty and I prefer an ambi-safety. As AKS, above stated, it is not a necessity, but I do think it's helpful if you do lose proper use of your right hand (and it's your strong side).
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I carry in an open-top IWB holster. I've had the safety knocked "off" once or twice in 20 years of 1911/HiPower carry. I've carried all my waking hours the past six years, and approx half the day prior to that.

That's not bad, but I haven't used ambis in a while, mostly because of that. I don't like that they loosen up at the joint between the two halves either (I consider them semi-disposable for that reason).

With practice, one can learn to swing their thumb over the slide and disengage the safety lever. It's not as fast as an ambi, but is an option.

Administrator
    Unless you need to have one get rid of it. It's a quick & cheap fix.
    I would never have an ambidextrous safety on any of my Colts as I have never seen any need for one at all.
    If I was a lefty then I would go for one as Bud did.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I also like ambis.

If you get a good holster with a slide guard the chances of swiping off should be greatly reduced. On both of my Sparks 1911 holsters, I used a rubber band on the gun/holster to ensure that the safety indented into the slide guard.

Now while wearing the holster it's pretty difficult to swipe the safety off.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

As said some holsters have the outline of the safety in the holster like Garys Max Con V it would be almost impossible to knock off

VIP Member
    Browning HP Marks II and III come with ambi-safeties...never had my Mark II's safety get knocked off in the 20 years I've owned, carried (in a Bianchi Askins Avenger OWB holster), and shot the gun....I think because it is a very unobtrusive design, unlike most 1911 ambi-safeties.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Lead Moderator
    LH here. Carry a SA Champ. never had the ambi safety disengage , other than when my thumb pressed it down.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Ambidex on my Kimber (Wilson Combat). It's never switched off unless I've switched it off.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links