I have erred, forgive me 1911's

This is a discussion on I have erred, forgive me 1911's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today at the range something terrible happened. I let a nice guy in the lane next to me try out my SA Micro. He was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have erred, forgive me 1911's

I have erred, forgive me 1911's

Today at the range something terrible happened. I let a nice guy in the lane next to me try out my SA Micro. He was impressed! Especially with that nice new trigger job I just had done with a really crisp 4 lb trigger. He shot it really well to, I mean, you know, for a Glock guy and all.

Then it happened, he invited me to try his Glock 30. Now I've tried several 9mm Tupperware specials in the past and I couldn't stand 'em. Wrong grip angle, fat grips, long trigger pull just didn't give me a gun I was accurate or comfortable with. So I figured I'd be polite and give it a try. But something terrible happened. I shot that bloody hunk of plastic every bit as good as my beloved 1911's. What the..........? Don't know what was so different about the 30 compared to the 9mm's I tried but I must admit that there is now one of them that I have to admit I can shoot well, but I still don't like that grip!

On the good side after shooting the Micro the Glock owner now wants a trigger job to try and come close to my Micro! HAHA!!!

Problem is my 1911's are now giving me ugly stares and mumbling behind my back......
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Yeah, I had a similar experience with an XD compact. My first two magazines through the thing put a nice four inch hole in the middle of a target at 25'. It still doesn't take the place of my Commander though.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Administrator
    ELCruisr - traitor. ~~~~~~~~~~~>

VIP Member
    I wouldn't call you a traitor...you were staking out the enemy territory, getting to "know you enemy" and all that good stuff.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

That happened to me too but with a G17. I was at a training class and brought two 1911 .45's and grabbed 1000 rounds of .40 instead of .45, I only had 200 rds of .45 and needed 800 for the class. Told my instructor that I was out after 200 rds and let him know what happend and instead of me having to leave he let me use his G17 the reat of the class. I was amazed that I shot the Glock just as if I had it all along. So I know what you mean, they are hard to accept but after shooting one it's hard not to.

I still haven't bought one because I have ALL of my carry stuff for 1911's but I may break down and get a 19 at some point, i actually bought an alessi holster for it just in case, I may take a look at the G30 also tho, sounds like a nice little pkg.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

kpw
    That's a common thing. Glocks tend to shoot better than they feel. The G30 seems to bring that out the most. I know that if I didn't carry a Glock, I'd carry a 1911. It's ok to enjoy them both...really.

btw, Ti...you beat me to that Alessi. If'n you decide you really don't need it......

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    I started with 1911s and tried everything else along the way (most recently SIGs), liked some, hated others. Still came back to 1911s. I have repented and asked forgiveness from the ghost of John Moses Browning.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    I wouldn't call you a traitor...you were staking out the enemy territory, getting to "know you enemy" and all that good stuff.

ELCruisr isn't the first guy to be seduced by a sexy brunette...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

ElCruiser...

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Today at the range something terrible happened. I let a nice guy in the lane next to me try out my SA Micro. He was impressed! Especially with that nice new trigger job I just had done with a really crisp 4 lb trigger. He shot it really well to, I mean, you know, for a Glock guy and all.

Then it happened, he invited me to try his Glock 30. Now I've tried several 9mm Tupperware specials in the past and I couldn't stand 'em. Wrong grip angle, fat grips, long trigger pull just didn't give me a gun I was accurate or comfortable with. So I figured I'd be polite and give it a try. But something terrible happened. I shot that bloody hunk of plastic every bit as good as my beloved 1911's. What the..........? Don't know what was so different about the 30 compared to the 9mm's I tried but I must admit that there is now one of them that I have to admit I can shoot well, but I still don't like that grip!

On the good side after shooting the Micro the Glock owner now wants a trigger job to try and come close to my Micro! HAHA!!!

Problem is my 1911's are now giving me ugly stares and mumbling behind my back......
    If you try the Glock-36 (single stack), it will grab your attention. I usually EDC my Kimber Ultra, but the G-36 is also a very nice fit in the hand.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    That's why my permit list Springfields and Glocks!

Welcome to the "Dark Side!"
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

My Glock 30 got a good laugh out of your story; my Springer Champion was not amused...
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Welcome to the dark side.

We have cookies!

Here's the perfect compromise: A polymer framed 1911.
    http://www.charlesdaly.com/html/prod...1911/bulm5.asp
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post

If your pistol says 1911, get out of the house! Guns are not supposed to talk!

Are you serious about the Charles Crappy's? Not me dude. About the only ploymer framed 1911 that I would even suggest is a Wilson KZ, but even that is stretching it.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Lead Moderator
    If the Glock grip angle wasn't so different than my HK and 1911 I might own 1. Too bad, I can shoot em well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links