Why such a disparity in 1911's?

This is a discussion on Why such a disparity in 1911's? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am casually looking at possibly purchasing a 1911 in the next 6 or so months, but it has lead me to a question. Why ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why such a disparity in 1911's?

I am casually looking at possibly purchasing a 1911 in the next 6 or so months, but it has lead me to a question. Why is there such a disparity in 1911 pricing? I guess I really don't understand what features different 1911's have and what that means to me as a shooter. For instance, within the Springfield lineup there is the GI model at $500-$600, but then their other models go well past $1,000. As a potentially new 1911 owner what features should I look for immediately and what should I look at upgrading over the life of the firearm?

Depends what ya want really

I prefer a beaver tail and Ambi safety as im a lefty

so that puts me into a loaded range 800$ with novak black sights also has a lowered and flared ejection port over the gi model

Add night sights and you can get them 800-1000

Lot of it is fit and finish vs the cheaper models

Pretty much same with every maker and some makers it matter what parts are used

What ya should buy is up to you what are you going to do with it carry?

If so and you like night sights might as well go all out and then only changes you will need to make is maybe grips

Let me add a little info on my preferences that I know. I know I want a Stainless Steel model. I also know that carrying this one will be secondary. I am really looking for features that will make this firearm a good range/home defense gun.

Still pretty basic as said i prefer a beavertail and ambi the loaded springers are nice in stainless i have 2

Colts are nice and around same range as springers in stainless i would look at the xse style got 2 of them to

I don't care for kimbers so i dopnt keep up on thier models

?Now if you looking for a gun to smith on your self a used colt or springer would be a good buy or a Milspec Springer they can be had in stainless

RIA seem to be hit or miss mine works fine

If its going to be a range gun only ya might want adjustable sights

Its really gonna come down to what you want..

The 1911 is one of the most easily customized guns out there

Want a

Short
    med
    Long
    trigger no problem

Arched main spring housing
    or
    Flat MSH no problem

Grips we wont even get into that

JD
    Administrator
    Gotta agree with Bud on all of this. Personally if I had it all to do over again I would have bought a 4" Springfield Loaded Champion.

If your looking for a house/range gun I'd get the 5" Loaded Model.

When it comes to 1911s the only thing you really need is good sights, preferably night sites, the beaver tail is personal preference, but I like them.

Again like Bud said there are many choices to be made with the 1911 find a shop that carries alot of the different variations and check them out yourself before you decide to buy.

VIP Member
    I paid over $700.00 for my Springfield Champion and it's the best $700.00 I have ever spent! This gun is my all time favorite and shoots like a dream!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

OD*
    Its really gonna come down to what you want..

Well said Bud.

We're all different, I like mine plain, the young Turks call them antique.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Picking out a 1911...good luck with that. I've spent the past 6 months trying to bring myself up to speed on 1911s to pick one out as a primary carry gun. I finally settled on a Dan Wesson CBOB after talking/emailing/PMing a lot of folks who were kind enough to give me their thoughts. I've collected about 100 or so pics of various 1911s, and have read nearly every post here, m1911.org, and several other boards. I've also gone through about 10 years worth of Gun tests periodicals in my quest.

Many of the features available as standard now were only found on high(er) end custom guns not too long ago, and it takes a lot of time to sort it all out. I figured the cost of renting several 1911s into the cost of this project to help figure out what I wanted, and I talked with everyone who I know who owns one. It's been a long process, and hopefully when mine comes in (been over 3 weeks now...UGH!!!), it'll be worth it.

Then to figure out leather and magazines........

Again, good luck with that.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

Any change, modification or improvement (and there are potentially a LOT of them) from the baseline pistol adds to the price.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

My EDC is a Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail Commander...very easy to carry, its Stainless and set me back a bit over $800. Get One!!!!!!!

Different strokes for different folks!! Steve48

A 1911 is not a single maker's gun. A 1911 is a model, made by many and varying makers.

If you buy a Sig it was made by Sig
    If you buy a Beretta is was made by Beretta.
    If you buy a S&W it was made by S&W
    If you buy a Colt it was made by Colt
    If you buy a Raven you buy a Raven
    If you buy a Hi-Point you buy a Hi-Point

If you buy a 1911 it was made by .... whoever you chose to pay.

If you buy a 1911 from Rock River and one from Wilsons or Cylinder and Slide it goes without saying that the only similarity between the two are Browning's action and the rough appearance of the two.

Because 1911s are one of the most popular autos, as well as the oldest with no patent protections that I know of, ANYONE can make one, slap 1911 on it and put it up for sale. You decide what features you want and who you trust for quality. (Just like choosing to buy a Glock over a Hi-Point).

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    This is one of the main reasons I LOVE my 1911.

I've always said that buying a gun for anything (self defense, home defense, hunting) is like buying a suit. You get what fits you best, but you still may have a tailor it specifically to yourself later on. The 1911 allows for that, easily. I've had my Kimber of a year now and already it has new grips, three different slide stops and thumb safety... etc.

I'm with jdl, if you are just getting a range/home defense 1911, I would stick with a full size possibly in .40 or above.

Good luck in your search.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I'm about to buy a Springfield full size... but I don't plan on carrying it... it will be my range and competition gun. I expect to pay around 1300 once I've "pimped it" as they say.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

VIP Member
    Diversity is the name of the game with 1911s.

You can buy a Glock, Sig HK, Walther.....etc.....That's fine most are excellent firearms, I own some as well................but......

Most people like to personalize their property.....you usually don't paint your house the same color as your neighbors', you buy a car or truck & sometimes you might want to customize it a bit...you know, new wheels, accessories, custom paint, custom sound...you get the idea.

The 1911 gives you more customization options than any other handgun. Compare to a gun like a Glock, with a normal G, you can't modify the looks/function very much.......no cool after market grips (other than a Hogue slip on), you can get different barrels & sights...etc...but it really won't be that different than the original. (I know there are a FEW customizers for guns other than 1911s, but they are but a fraction of the guys who do 1911s).

These three are the most different of the ones I own, most of the others (not shown) are pretty much as they were purchased. Here is a small example of some of my diversity with the 1911:

Left to right: (all have forward slide serrations that were not on the gun originally, mag well funnels & ambi-safeties)
    1-TTi Custom, full size 5 inch .45acp, Storm Lake barrel, Caspian grip safety, Novak adjustable sights.
    2- Springfield 1911A1 .45acp, two-tone, custom grip safety, Novak adjustable sights.
    3- Kimber Pro Carry IIHD Commander, all stainless, custom grip safety, night sights.

You really have so many options available for this platform...not just looks either.....you can also get a bunch of different calibers. In the 1911 I also have 10mm & .38Super. Others calibers are available as well, like 9mm & .40SW.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by goawayfarm; March 26th, 2007 at 06:39 PM.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links