Old Glock 19 upgrades and recalls

This is a discussion on Old Glock 19 upgrades and recalls within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchased a new Glock 19 in 1991 or 1992. I carried it occasionally for a few years then lost interest in the gun, so ...

Thread: Old Glock 19 upgrades and recalls

Old Glock 19 upgrades and recalls

I purchased a new Glock 19 in 1991 or 1992. I carried it occasionally for a few years then lost interest in the gun, so I haven't kept informed on the model all this time. I probably only fired 300 rounds through it. I now have an improved opinion of the gun and caliber. I have read a bit and it seams there were some recalls, or at least some "upgrades" (that should have been recalls perhaps).

Can anyone give me a list of parts that I should replace on this era of Glock to assure it's reliable function and longevity? I have read that Glock takes the approach of "if it breaks we'll be glad to fix it". This is not my mentality. If there are weaknesses, I want them fixed before it breaks (even if I have to pay for it rather than Glock). Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by cloudy; March 27th, 2007 at 10:20 PM. Reason: removed serial number

2. Remove Ads

kpw
    http://www.glockmeister.com/fpupgrad.shtml
    Should tell you what you need. Unsure if there are other upgrades. Glock is pretty helpful when contacted. You should give them a call if you have any concerns.

Thanks kpw.

Administrator
    You should be good to go, I would take a look at the springs but I'd be suprised if you found anything wrong with only 300 rds through it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The only recall/upgrade that I am aware of from that era was a replacement kit for the internals. I am not 100% of exactly what was replaced. I would imagine that it was a replacement extractor spring and upgraded plunger, possibly a new firing pin spring and/or firing pin and possibly a replacement trigger connector and trigger spring. I would consider the following parts as possible replacements just due to age;

Inside the Slide
    Firing Pin Spring and Spring cups
    Extractor spring and spring loaded bearing (the spring loaded bearing was a later upgraded design)
    Firing pin safety plunger and plunger spring

Inside the frame
    Trigger Spring
    Upgraded Connector (it depends on which lbs that you want 3.5, 5.5, 8lbs)

I would also suggest a 1 piece recoil spring/guide rod unit.

Hope this helps.
    If we treat every gun as if it was loaded, then why not treat every individual as if they are armed.

Does this Glock 19 have the "grenade" type checkering on the front and backstraps of the grip? Or is it a "pebble" grip with no checkering at all?

Glock 'em down: Based on a Google image search on "grenade checkering", I think that is what it has. It's definitely checkering. I wasn't familiar with the term.

estimber: Thanks for your suggestions. I planned on a new Wolff spring/ guidrod even if it didn't need one. My biggest concern was parts that were found to be defective, short lived, or problematic back then. Especially if the plastic was upgraded from those years.

I want an inventory of spare parts as well. This will be a start.

I didn't mention any reasons for my renewed interest in Glocks. One reason is the same reason I love 1911's: parts and magazines are so widely available and probably will be for generations, like Harley motorcycles. I think this is an enormous value. I own enough guns where this isn' true.

Correct me if I am wrong on this but I seem to recall Glock having a check up program for a reasonable fee ($50 to $100???).

You send them the pistol, they detail strip, check it out , and will update it upon assembly. Total spring replacement was part of the deal if I recall correctly.

Call Glock's plant here in the states and see, assuming this would interest you.
    Take Care and Stay Safe,
    Ken

NRA Member
    Administrator Integrated Close Combat Forum

REMEMBER What works for you may not, necessarily, work for me. Keep an open mind!

To all older model Glock users: I would recommend replacing the inner springs. I have an older model G19, and the trigger spring broke. I took it to my local gunsmith and he replaced it with a non-factory spring and a few hundred rounds later it also broke. After replacing this spring a second time with a factory spring, I have put about 1,000 rounds through it and no more problems.

1st Generation Glock frame: green in color
    2nd Generation Glock frame: pretty much what you saw from 1990 till the light rail and finger grooves. Grenade checkering on the front strap. They also went to 2 frame pins in all Glock frames where as in the 1st generation and early 2nd generation frames there was only 1 frame pin in the 9mm and everything else had 2. Also during this time there was an internal upgrade which is what the original poster is referring to.
    3rd Generation Glock frame: finger grooves and integrated light rail.
    4th Generation Glock frame: green frames with the finger grooves and light rails, now also the Picantinny rail.
    If we treat every gun as if it was loaded, then why not treat every individual as if they are armed.

Quote Originally Posted by estimber View Post
    1st Generation Glock frame: green in color
    2nd Generation Glock frame: pretty much what you saw from 1990 till the light rail and finger grooves. Grenade checkering on the front strap. They also went to 2 frame pins in all Glock frames where as in the 1st generation and early 2nd generation frames there was only 1 frame pin in the 9mm and everything else had 2. Also during this time there was an internal upgrade which is what the original poster is referring to.
    3rd Generation Glock frame: finger grooves and integrated light rail.
    4th Generation Glock frame: green frames with the finger grooves and light rails, now also the Picantinny rail.
    Question for you: Obviously my 19 is second generation, and yet it only has one pin above the trigger area. I assume you aren't counting the pin above the backstrap, because I know other Glocks have two pins above the trigger plus the one on the grip. Did they make just a few one-pin second generation guns then switch to two pins? More important to me, what problem were they having that caused them to switch to 2 pins?

KiloGulf59:
    Thanks. I'll check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudy View Post
    Question for you: Obviously my 19 is second generation, and yet it only has one pin above the trigger area. I assume you aren't counting the pin above the backstrap, because I know other Glocks have two pins above the trigger plus the one on the grip. Did they make just a few one-pin second generation guns then switch to two pins? More important to me, what problem were they having that caused them to switch to 2 pins?

KiloGulf59:
    Thanks. I'll check that out.
    The reason for making all models with 2 pins was just ease of manufacturing. All the frames are the same anyway between the 9/40/357 and 45/10mm (I am not sure about the 45GAP but I think it is the same frame as the 9/40/357 but with a thicker slide). There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with yours, it is just an earlier model. I actually prefer the 2nd gen frames becasue I am not a big fan of the current finger grooves but it is a necessary evil in order to get the light rail.

So rest assured that the frame conversion was more of a manufacturing issue than anything else.

Last edited by estimber; March 30th, 2007 at 03:09 PM.

I really appreciate that info estimber. Thanks.

Links