New Shield 9 Barrel Issue

This is a discussion on New Shield 9 Barrel Issue within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got a new Shield 9mm and am not sure how big of a deal this is.......if at all. I noticed on the inside ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hick63

Thread: New Shield 9 Barrel Issue

New Shield 9 Barrel Issue

I just got a new Shield 9mm and am not sure how big of a deal this is.......if at all.

I noticed on the inside edge of the barrel where the round exits that it was not completely smooth and polished. There are a couple of spots that look like burs (it's not the grooves of the barrel). They are not huge, but big enough to catch your fingernail on. I put a couple hundred rounds through it and it didn't seem to be an issue. I called Smith & Wesson and they said I'd have to send it back so they could see it. I don't know if this is something to be concerned about or not. I don't want to send it back if it's not a big deal.

If you're concerned, send it back. You'll have a new barrel in less than a week. Their CS is excellent.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

If you have an excuse for failure, you will.

You could contact a local gunsmith and let them inspect it. More than likely a quick polish job will take care of it.

I'd send it back if you plan on using it for carry.You want to be able to trust your life with your carry pistol.

Administrator
    Are you on good terms with a local gunsmith. He could re-crown it for you and it's a 5 minute job.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'd call S&W as I'm sure they will take care of that.

I wouldn't pay out of pocket to fix shotty quality control. Im sure they'll handle it on their dime.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Are you on good terms with a local gunsmith. He could re-crown it for you and it's a 5 minute job.
    Would that void the warranty?

My Shield had a loose chamber, the bullet cases looked like a guppy when ejected and were so distorted they wouldn't feed into another 9mm gun. So could not be reloaded and I was afraid of a blow out with +p ammo. I contacted SW and they sent a call tag, wham bam it came back with a new barrel. I should have paid them to install night sights when it was there is my only regret.
    Cop lives matter.

it sounds more cosmetic then anything that would cause problems but it is a brand new gun.i'm sure s&w would replace the barrel no problem at all..

Shoot it first. If it functions properly who cares? I had one that had what I think (based on your description) was the same thing. It was nothing I ever worried about.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links