My thoughts on the S&W M&P

This is a discussion on My thoughts on the S&W M&P within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Great write up . Were i to carry a double stack it would be the M&P . Alas they suffer from girth so i will ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts on the S&W M&P

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Great write up . Were i to carry a double stack it would be the M&P . Alas they suffer from girth so i will stick to my kahr . I shot a pre production .45 along with the .40 and 9 and the only complaint i could give the S&W rep is that they all are too thick . ( i did post on the shooting session but had to deny some of what i shot , since the .45 is out no harm done , some stuff still to come tho lol . ) . I originaly thought that the m&P was a retreaded sigma , it isnt , and while i really dislike the takedown its only a matter of getting used to it . By fitting the pistols to my hand I honestly could not tell the differance between the 9mm and the .40 when handed a loaded pistol , only after shooting would i look at the rollmarks to see what i just shot . The .45 i shot i could tell , but less by recoil than gripsize . IMHO the M&P will be the glock of the 21st century , just hide and watch lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for all the posts and for the kind words!

cheers

tire iron

I'm glad that you like your M&P. I held one and it does feel nice in the hand.

However, I own several Glocks and never had a malfunction that wasn't part of a failure drill (using empty casings or dummy rounds).
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I personally never had a malf while I was shooting a Glock either - except for some crappy reloads (that I loaded) that won't work well in any handgun. My experience with Glocks has been entirely positive - and I shot thousands upon thousands of rounds through Glocks for twenty years.

In my opinion though - the M&P is just a better handgun than the Glock.

The M&P isn't more reliable - nothing can be more reliable than 100% reliable. The M&P matches that reliability (100%) and adds that it is more user friendly.

cheers

tire iron

Thanks for the review. I've been interested in them myself, but the old Sigma line were POS's, imho and since owning several other 'Smith autos (3953, 6014, 645) I never quite trusted them to build a quality, reliable pistol. ( I LOVE their wheelguns, though)
    However, that may have now have all changed... The M&P seems to have set a new standard for them. Thanks for the info.

I have a M&P40 sitting here just waiting to be fired. I purchased it right before my first child was born a few weeks ago. Since the new addition, I haven't had time to play. This doesn't bother me though. Spending time with my son beats any day at the range.

Nice review tire iron. I have the M&P .40c and I absolutely love the gun. It is the nicest shooting gun that I have ever had. Not that I have had that many, but I have had a few. It fits my hand like it was made for it, has less felt recoil than the G27 I traded in for it and I (for some reason) am at least 50% more accurate with it. I think it looks very nice also! I also like very much, that this gun is made in the USA!!!!
    I would agree that the early Sigmas had some real issues, but IMHO, most of these issues have been ironed out and I think the Sigmas are great guns for the $$! I had one for a while and I had no problems at all with it. I think they are are a very good value gun.

Ron

Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Quote Originally Posted by beagler View Post
    I have a M&P40 sitting here just waiting to be fired. I purchased it right before my first child was born a few weeks ago. Since the new addition, I haven't had time to play. This doesn't bother me though. Spending time with my son beats any day at the range.
    You, my friend, are 100% correct!! You will get the chance to shoot the M&P, and you will love it, but you are doing the right thing now.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

I just bought a M&P9 and I couldn't be happier. I shot 200rnds through it with no jams or brass flying backwards. I ,too, shot it sideways and upside down with no hiccups. The small grip is the best feeling double stack auto grip that I have ever held. S&W deserves some credit for a great pistol.

does anyone know if SW is going to sell the M&P with the ambidex safey like the their entry into the .45 acp SOCOM pistol trials? is their a market for this out there?

how does the .40C grips compare with the G23 grips?

I love my glocks but the MP fit my hand perfectly and I also love the trigger. I might have to get another pistol after I told myself that I really need to stop collecting these firesticks. thanks.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Another new M&P owner (40 Compact) here... couldn't agree more with the original post.. the M&P is an awesome!!!! gun... it is now my primary carry gun.

The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

My impressions of the M&P are very similar, I have a full sized 9mm and a compact 9mm. My main disagreement is with the trigger, I like the M&P trigger far better than the Glock trigger. For me a Glock was 7 yard combat accurate, much farther and the target better be pretty big if I planned to hit it. With the M&P I can plink clay pigeons out to 25 yards or so and plan to make hits far more often than misses.

My sons are 20 and 22, both are in the USAF now and both have a small battery of guns. But I plan on giving each of them an M&P compact soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    My impressions of the M&P are very similar, I have a full sized 9mm and a compact 9mm. My main disagreement is with the trigger, I like the M&P trigger far better than the Glock trigger. For me a Glock was 7 yard combat accurate, much farther and the target better be pretty big if I planned to hit it. With the M&P I can plink clay pigeons out to 25 yards or so and plan to make hits far more often than misses.

My sons are 20 and 22, both are in the USAF now and both have a small battery of guns. But I plan on giving each of them an M&P compact soon.

I can blow out the center circle at 25 yards with my Glock 19. I have never fired an M&P so I cannot comment on that. But Glocks are very accurate.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I can blow out the center circle at 25 yards with my Glock 19. I have never fired an M&P so I cannot comment on that. But Glocks are very accurate.
    I've owned 3 Glocks and none of them have been accurate, for me. The last G17 I got rid of because it was NOT accurate at all with 115 grain ammo, which I have quite a stockpile of.

The M&P seems to prefer 115 ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    I've owned 3 Glocks and none of them have been accurate, for me. The last G17 I got rid of because it was NOT accurate at all with 115 grain ammo, which I have quite a stockpile of.

The M&P seems to prefer 115 ammo.
    I've used Speer GD 124gr +p or Federal Hy-Shok 115gr +p+. Very accurate with both in the 19. I used to own a 17 that my dept required Winchester 147gr +p for carry ammo. It was accurate, but it had a 12 lb trigger as per dept guidelines. My 19 with the stock 5.5 lb trigger is VERY accurate.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links