My thoughts on the S&W M&P

This is a discussion on My thoughts on the S&W M&P within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Great review and comments. I recently purchased a full size M&P9...and could not be happier. Shot Glocks and just did not like the feel, but ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My thoughts on the S&W M&P

Great review and comments.
    I recently purchased a full size M&P9...and could not be happier. Shot Glocks and just did not like the feel, but loved the size of the G19. I had a very hard time deciding between the compact and full size, but went with the larger because it really is not that much larger...and if I am going to dress to conceal a gun, it doesn't matter anyway.
    I have a Brommeland holster on order, so I will be wearing mine soon enough.

Tire Iron - How was the task of removing your beaver tail? I am really thinking about doing that myself. Did you cut it off with the dremel and then shape it? What kind of file did you use?
    1*
    We race the reaper.

2. Remove Ads

To date, I have avoided the tupperware craze, but I admit that my mouth is beginning to water over the prospect of buying an M&P.

Maybe I'll get myself one for a grad present when I finish school this summer. I sold all of my 9mms a few years back, but have since decided it would be good to have a couple on hand for a SHTF situation where ammo might be scarce for a while. So I guess if I get one it will be a 9.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    I have to ask, what is the point of an external safety on a DAO pistol?

A safety on them is about as useful as a safety on a DA revolver.

The external safety was added to the .45 for the government/military testing.
    1*
    We race the reaper.

Quote Originally Posted by ront View Post
    I also like very much, that this gun is made in the USA!!!!
    It is? According to those pics, the company is located in Massachusetts. That's not the USA...

What's with all these gun makers being located in the most anti-gun states, anyway? Mass., Conn., Illinois, etc. As disliked as they are in those places, you'd think they'd move to friendlier states like Texas, Arizona, Tennessee, Alabama, etc. They'd probably get a big break in taxes too, plus the COL is much cheaper in the south, meaning they don't have to pay their workers as much.

The M&P may one day turn out to be a great gun but at this point I know of one agency and four or five individuals who got rid of theirs due to problems. One of the local Sheriffs Offices here got 20 of them to try out and thru shooting and T&E they had problems so they turned the guns down, they also turned down the S&W 99, eventually they picked the SIG P229 in 40 and have had no problems.

It will take millions of rounds by different people and agencies to work all of the kinks out of the M&P and make it a great gun. I may buy one to shoot occasionally but I am not going to jump off of the Glock and SIG band wagon as of yet, they have been around for many years and carried and used by all types of military, law enforcement, US and foreign. The kinks have been all worked out.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by readyme View Post
    The external safety was added to the .45 for the government/military testing.
    I guess I should have been clearer. I am aware of the .mil's insistance on it. The Army also insisted on the M14 and the 7.62X51 when the Europeans had a superior system with the FAL and the British 7X43 cartridge. Both dumb choices.

I guess I was asking why some people who are not stuck with military dumbness want an external, manual safety on a weapon that does not need it.

It's a good thing that the 45 is avaialble w/o one as well.

Firearmz,

What exactly were the problems(s) these persons and the agency had or discovered with the M&P?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

The problems were varied I will contact the SO and get a break down and post it.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Own the M&P 9 and 9c both very accurate. no malfunctions so far have been shooting 115gr rem umc 124gr wwb 135 gr fed hydrashok
    Fullsize is at local pistolsmith getting a warren tac rear sight and hi viz front f/o sight. Have owned a few glocks and currently own an xd45
    all great pistols all very accurate/reliable for me but the M&P's just feel and shoot better fo me.

M&P

Had one in 40 cal. More accurate than my Glock and felt better in the hand. Was just a tad heavy for concealed carry so I sold it
    Wish I had kept it and sold the Glock!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links